1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

10bit HEVC

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by Hap Hapablap, May 27, 2015.

1. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

HI!

I have bought my MINIX H8-X Plus for media player purposes. Most of my current collection are x264 1080p movies, but in recent months there are more and more of HEVC movies. The ability to play HEVC is the main reason I choosed MINIX over any other player.

Now I find this problem with your product: It does not play 10 bit HEVC files. I realize that HEVC is still in development and coders are testing it's capabilities but till this day I have never been able to play any 10 bit HEVC file. Depending on player movies are choppy at best, and most of the players I tried (inclooding kodi/xbmc) are not even able to play them.

Is there anything you can do in this case? Is Amlogic S812 capable at all of playing 10 bit HEVC?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! :)
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

According to the CPU specification, 10bit HEVC is NOT supported.
  3. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

Craaaaap!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
  4. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Have you tried 10bit HEVC with hw acceleration off?
    As Ken says with HW 10bit acceleration on, the display is mostly pixilated, but if you turn if off.
    I can't say what would happen to audio/video sync AND you will probably get stutters in quality videos.
    I tested with MX Player Pro
    Anyway, just something to try when the real solution is not supported.
  5. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

Well, I contacted Amlogic support, and they confirmed that S812 does not have hardware support for 10 bit video decoding. They sad that their upcoming S905 will support 10 bit HEVC.

Which means that I have wasted my money on this product. :(

Turning off HW acceleration is not working. At best (with MX player) you get stutters and out of sync audio. With Kodi picture freezes after half a second with only audio playing.
  6. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

whos fault is it that you have wasted your money, surely if 10bit HEVC is so important to you why did you not research prior to purchase ?
  7. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

Well I love you too man!

When I purchased this thing there was no mention of 8bit/10bit HEVC anywhere. 10bit HEVC become thing in last couple of months. And MINIX still advertises their products as HEVC hardware decoders without any mention whatsoever that it can't play 10bit HEVC videos. I personally consider it as false advertising.

And if it is my fault that I purchased top of the line, future proof product that advertises one thing that I needed which it can't deliver, than at least this post can be a warning to other potential buyers not to waste their money. Not to mention that MINIX should change their advertising.
  8. MINIX - Ken

We shall put 10bit support if the future chips do, now we are not saying that at all.
    All companies do mention what are supported on their products but not what are not.

HEVC support =/= Main10 support, they are 2 things and shouldn't be mixed together.
    arajpoot likes this.
  9. Raphael

Raphael New Member

Hi Ken?

Do you know if Minix is planning a new box with the new Amlogic S912? Are we going to see it this year?
  10. MINIX - Ken

There is absolutely zero information about the "S912" chip at the moment.
    They are going to launch a new chip called "S905" which is the new S805, not "S912".
    That's all we know.
  11. bikerdays

bikerdays New Member

12. Omaha

Omaha Member

Old news, no news ... (about S912). Maybe Amlogic wait for Google launching Androd M :sneaky: ...
  13. MINIX - Ken

andymnc likes this.
  14. MINIX - Ken

People are asking us about RK3368 - It does not support 10bit HEVC.
    I've confirmed this with RK.
    andymnc likes this.
  15. andymnc

andymnc New Member

@Hap Hapablap did you try with Kodi from teh playstore? Kodi 15 (isengard) is playing them
  16. ScorpionMystery

ScorpionMystery New Member

I'm downloading Furious Seven PSA Release 10 Bit HEVC will try it on my MINIX X8-H Plus tonight with latest FW 6.0 A will post results later.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  17. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

So? How it went?
  18. MINIX - Ken

According to the CPU specification, 10bit HEVC is NOT supported.

I don't want to repeat again and again.
  19. ScorpionMystery

ScorpionMystery New Member

Sorry was out for the weekend but the results with this fast seven 10 bits HEVC are negative not playable audio ok but video gives only frames :-(

Enviado do meu LG-D802 atrav├ęs de Tapatalk
  20. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap New Member

I know, I was just teasing him.