1. Official MINIX forum

Beta Release 4.4 firmware for X7 mini

Discussion in 'Beta Firmwares' started by MINIX - John, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! NOT EASY TO GO BACK TO 4.2!!
    http://minix.com.hk/firmware/X7mini_20140718_4.4_001.rar
    (release-key, V13.2.1 XBMC)
    USE IT ONLY IF YOU ARE READY !!

Please don't forward the firmware link without a warning.
    We worry that users don't know it's hard going back and flash it then complain us...

Thanks,
    Team MINIX
    martijn156 and Obi-Wahn like this.
  2. Nice Forum Guys. Great working firmware the 4.4 release but i realy need a 1080p version. Backup to Quickshot 3.1 for the time being. Will go back to official Minix firmware as soon as the 1080p version gets released.

Can you explain what the problem is. Everytime you guys create a firmware you say 1080p version will be released soon but i never see it ?
  3. Can someone please describe how to go back to the Jellybean firmware with this device. For the X7 you need to press the power and reset button. But the mini doesn't have a power button
  4. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

Can't install above file because its a .rar file. must be a .zip file.
    tried to convert from rar to zip but no succes either.
    renamed it to update.

anyone ideas how to install this file??
  5. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You need to use the RK Flashtool.
  6. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

oke i understand, but the Neo X7 mini doesn't have a mini usb port. So you'll need to have a female USB to female USB to connect the x7 mini to a laptop/pc. I have a lot cables but not that particular one unfortunetly.
    So i'll wait for the stable firmware 4.4 release, hopefully i can install this version the easy way just put the update.zip file to the root of the neo x7 mini then restart.
  7. Obi-Wahn

Obi-Wahn Member Beta Tester

You need a normal USB cable. Male to Male. But you have to be careful which USB port you chose. I think it is the left one.

Edit: You should have one in your Minix Box, there was one included.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll be able to update from 4.2 to 4.4 using the update.zip method.
    Obi-Wahn likes this.
  9. Obi-Wahn

The HowTo for the Upgrade was at the Minix Neo X7 Mini product page. But it is not anymore.

Here it is (thanks to Wayback machine):

MINIX NEO X7mini Firmware Upgrade Procedure (open)

MINIX NEO X7mini Firmware Upgrade Procedure
    Power on the device and connect your MINIX NEO X7mini to your PC using the supplied Male-Male USB cable.
    If the device isn't detected by the PC then enable "Connect to PC" on Android Settings -> USB.
    Now your PC will detect the device as external storage.

Now, unplug the power and USB cable from the NEO X7mini. Connect the USB cable first, whilst keeping the reset button pressed (located at the bottom of the NEO X7mini; a pin is required) , now plug in the power again. Keep the reset button pressed for another 4-6 seconds and release. At this point, the Windows PC should be connected to the NEO X7mini and the PC goes into a looking-for-driver search mode. When prompted, point the PC to the driver folder location, remember to use the correct location relevant to your PC configuration (e.g. x7mini\NEO_USBdriverV3.5\Win32bit\win7). If it does not prompt, go to device manager on the windows and configure the driver manually.

Once this is successfully completed, run RKbatchtool.exe. It should show a "connected devices" square icon in GREEN. Choose RESTORE (Important: DO NOT use Upgrade) button and point to the firmware file in the folder created in Step 1. The firmware upgrade will begin and do not press any buttons or unplug anything until the process is fully finished.
    The NEO X7mini will reboot itself with the newly updated firmware, the whole process takes approximately 10 minutes.

I don't know if this is the right way to upgrade to the 4.4 Beta Version!

P.S.: I can't add links .. please like my posts. ;)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    martijn156, MINIX - John and Higgs like this.
  10. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

To confirm, the USB port on the LEFT is the port to use for manual firmware upgrades on the NEO X7 mini.
    martijn156 likes this.
  11. Obi-Wahn

Has anyone already tested the beta firmware?
  12. I did and it works well for me but i'am only using XBMC on the device. Still no 1080p kernel so back to hardwareguru v5 for me.
    martijn156 and Obi-Wahn like this.
  13. Obi-Wahn

Ah. I just did the upgrade to the 4.4 beta firmware and it runs quiet nice. It seems to be a bit more smooth than the "old" 4.2 version, but that could be the fresh system. There a some things which are minor bugs or things to polish:

• the screensize was not right, i had to correct it with the (New?) tool. no problems like that with the old firmwares.
    • there are two systembars now. one notificationbar on the top and the bar with the systemkeys at the bottom. i liked the version from the 4.2 firmware with only one systembar at the bottom more. it is possible to use the old layout?
    • And one old problem occured again: the app "Watchever" complains about a connected HDMI cable. The problem was fixed with the last 4.2 firmware, so i hope you could fix it again. :)
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  14. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

I would like to install the 4.4 beta as well, the problem is when i connect the x7 mini in flashing mode to my laptop. My windows 8 regocnice the x7 mini as an undefined USB device. I tried installing drivers through the driverassistent and even downloaded drivers from the rockchip website for the 3188 chip. But I couldn't match the USB device with the installed drivers. So the rk batch tool didn't recognise the x7 mini. Anyone have some ideas about how to fix this problem?
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Obi-Wahn likes this.
  15. Obi-Wahn

I think there was a problem with windows 8 ... do you have a windows 7 pc in your range? ;)

driverassistent: You're talking about the one from windows 8? i aborted the one from windows 7 and used the device manager to point it to the right driver. after this i unpluggend the minix and did the whole progress again.
    martijn156 likes this.
  16. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

Thanks for your reply Obi-Wahn, unfortunatly i don't have a win 7 pc nearby. The driverassistent i ment is the assistent from rockchip http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.nl/2013/11/download-rockchip-driver-assistant.html. The program will install the driver, but the x7 mini still has no drivers when i look up the systemsettings for usb devices in windows. when i point the drivers through the device manager from windows 8 then there's a message that the driver coudn't install for this device?
  17. It just won't work on Windows 8.1, at least not before you flash a KitKat firmware. KitKat comes with a new loader version 2.x this enables win 8.1 to reconginzie the device. Minix firmware is a pretty nice version but 720p kernel, for me thats a no go.
    martijn156 likes this.
  18. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

Thanks Joost,

I will try a win 7 laptop tomorrow hopefully then i'll be able to upgrade the firmware.

regards. Martijn(y)
  19. martijn156

martijn156 New Member

I tried a windows vista laptop, and flashing works like a charm now.
    I only didn't instal the 4.4 beta but the hardwareguru V5 with 1080P kernel like i was told by Joostvanmourik.
    Works great!
  20. Obi-Wahn

i have random reboots with the 4.4 beta. Two times at the system settings, one time at YouTube. Don't know why and i can't reproduce them.