1. Official MINIX forum

4k still not working without problems

Discussion in 'X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official Firmware 003' started by Nurfel, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Nurfel

Nurfel New Member

I own a Samsung UE55HU8500 and hoped that this firmware update would finally fix the 4k problems.
    However, with firmware 003 I still have a video+audio outage ( TV goes black and no sound) for about 1 sec every 20-30 mins if I am using the 4k resolution. Switching to 1080p eliminates the problem.

I specifically bought the minix for the 4k capability.
  2. JimBobVFR

JimBobVFR Active Member

Have you tried different cables and/or different HDMI ports on your TV at all?
  3. Nurfel

Nurfel New Member

Yes I have tried different cables and HDMI ports. The problem persists.
  4. ppunk

ppunk New Member

My TV set is Samsung UE65HU8500. FW 003 has fixed the synch problem, but it is necessary to use HDMI 3. On HDMI 1 it still has the problem. With FW 002, both, HDMI1 and HDMI3 failed.
  5. Nurfel

Nurfel New Member

For me only HDMI 4 works with the outage every 20-30 min. HDMI 1-3 show constant screen flickering.
  6. cityhunter

cityhunter New Member

Same issue as the OP but with a NEO X8-H Plus box. Getting a little fed up tbh, not sure what to try next!
  7. amo77

amo77 New Member

yes my flickering to on( 4k resolution)I have curved samsung 7250 65'',and when I put on HDMI 1080p stop flickering,they never fix 4k resolution.
  8. ppunk

ppunk New Member

I continue using HDMI 3, and have seen the sync issue once. Powering off /on (no reboot necessary) the problem was solved. Still have not tested HDMI 4.
  9. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

It's a Samsung bug on all of their 2014 "future ready" series,
    only the MHL port works with 4K properly.
    We've done a lot of tests and came to this conclusion.
    You need to contact Samsung, because their 2013 series, 4K are working on all ports.

We've made a clear statement on the first post of the firmware thread.
    "Change log:
    1. Fixed can't switch to 4K bug (2014 Samsung "future ready" TVs must use MHL port, other ports are found to have compatibility issues)"

We can't fix Samsung's problem.
  10. MINIX - Ken

We can't fix Samsung's bug.
    The same problem doesn't not happen on SONY, LG and SHARP, all ports are working properly.

Honestly I don't think Samsung is going to admit anything, since it could become a worldwide recall!
    It's very obvious that the STB/DVI/ARC ports of their new "future ready" series are buggy and behaving differently than the MHL port.

MHL port is OK on all 2014 "future ready" units we tested (9800/8800/8500/7800/7000 series), but not other ports.
    The MHL port is having an external chip and we believe this chip is good and that's why that port is OK.

On their older generation 4K models (6000/5900 series), all port 1/2/3/4 are working properly, testing with the same HDMI cable, same box.

However, no matter how good the cable we used, we can't make it working on ports other than the MHL port. They do have compatibility issues. We also tested with other solutions such as HiSilicon/Rockchip, and all got the same results.

Last but not least, a good cable is essential for 4K mode @ MHL port.
  11. MINIX - Ken

Exactly, only the MHL port, is working properly.
    Other ports behave very differently.
  12. MINIX - Ken

UA55HU8500, UA65HU8500, we tested them both.
    The non-curved UHD future ready series.
  13. MINIX - Ken

Try port 3, with a nice cable of course.
    When you bought the TV they should have bundled one.
  14. Nurfel

Nurfel New Member

Are you sure we are talking about the same TV?

The HU8500 is a curved UHD TV not non-curved (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55HU8500TXXU).

For me HDMI port 4 is labeld with MHL.
    20150209_132309[1].jpg

Again port 1-3 show constant flickering, while port 4 has video+audio outage every 20-30 mins regardless of the HMDI cable.

Edit: I think you are talking about the UN55HU8500. This is an american model.

[​IMG]

The equivalent model to the UE55HU8500 in Europe is the UN55HU9000 in America.
    So we are clearly not talking about the same TV!
  15. MINIX - Ken

Yes you're right, we called "UA" (Asia?)
    8500 in here is not curved, while 7800/8800/9800 are curved.
    I think they are having different product naming systems for different regions.

Use the MHL port anyway, no matter it's port 3 or port 4. For your case that would be port 4.
  16. Nurfel

Nurfel New Member

I am already using port 4 and have the video+audio outage every 20-30 mins.
    For me nothing has changed from firmware 002 to firmware 003 regarding the 4k issues.
  17. cityhunter

cityhunter New Member

Work for me now. Thanks Ken
  18. MINIX - Ken

I would recommend you to return it and ask for an exchange if that's the case.
    Can't rule out the possiblity of a defective chipset.
  19. Davidvb

Davidvb New Member

I would just call Samsung first. I had an issue with a broken hdmi port shortly after my warranty expired but they still send over a guy that replaced the complete logicboard with ports and all, without charging me. Was no hasle at all. (Samsung Netherlands.)
  20. treble20

treble20 New Member

Hi,

I have a Samsung HU7500 with the X8-H connected via HDMI through a Sony AVR to the MHL port on the TV. The problem I have is there is not an option to select a 4K resolution within the Mbox Settings - I have 576, 720, 1080 50hz and 1080 60hz options only with HDMI auto detect set to off. My X8-H has the latest FOTA firmware installed and the TV and AVR have the latest firmware.

Any ideas please??