1. Official MINIX forum

A2 Battery life???

Discussion in 'NEO A2' started by CrazyIvan, Dec 10, 2014.

1. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan New Member

I've had the remote for a couple weeks and I'm on THIRD SET OF BATTERIES. I did some research and apparently you can disable sound/gyro etc but none of the key shortcuts seem to do anything at all. Others suggested unplugging the dongle or removing batteries when not in use, which is preposterous. Can anything be done to extend the battery life?
  2. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan New Member

Ok I'm on FOUTH set of batteries now. Nobody has an answer? Is this typical?
  3. Sonny Nguyen

Sonny Nguyen New Member

Me too. I'm really disappointed about the A2 battery life! :( Why why why???
  4. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

same issue, have resorted to buying a set of rechargeable batteries
  5. Sonny Nguyen

Sonny Nguyen New Member

Of course, Bennett. I also did as you said. But i also have to recharge 2 AAA batteries weekly. :(
  6. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan New Member

It definitely drains battery while nobody is using it. I'm having to replace batteries every 2 days now. I've never seen such a bad product in my entire life. I took a chance with Minix company and it's been a terrible disappointment. Never again. My X8H is also garbage so buggy and problem after problem. I prefer my AppleTV I bought in 2007.
  7. Sonny Nguyen

Sonny Nguyen New Member

I think X8H that isn't so bad as you said. Just Neo A2. Why doesn't Minix also improve it and have any policy to support for his customers? I don't know what the difference between A2 and A2 lite is?
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

CrazyIvan, have you disabled the audio during use? The audio does consume a lot of power and should be activated only when necessary. We didn't assume users to turn it on all the time. The hot keys to toggle on/off are "Fn"+">". If your problem persists, contact me, I'll try to get you a free swap.
  9. Hi Ken i need help for my batteries life. I never used sound on my A2 and batteries died faster.

Michael De Villers
  10. MINIX - Ken

You have to make sure the audio is off.
    It uses a lot of power.
    Battery life would be much better if it's not used.
  11. How i can know if the audio is on or off

Michael De Villers
  12. Why when i open my minix neo x7 in setting, sound, sound input devices is always set at sage airmouse ? I set it at rk29_rt5616 and the setting stay only just at i shut it off

Michael De Villers
  13. Bagno

Bagno New Member

I must confirm Minix Neo A2 Airmouse is very poor on battery life - a set of batteries lasts for 2-3 days max in standby mode.
    I got my neo x8-h plus with A2 on Monday evening - It's Saturday afternoon and I just inserted THIRD set of batteries!
    Never used audio, double checking each time if its off, disabling the gyro as well.
    Ridiculous part is that was only using my device max 1 hour daily, so it's eating the batteries on standby.

@Minix - can you please tell us what battery life we should expect from A2, using time/standby time, you have done your test, haven't you?

Oh, almost forgot: "You are advised to unplug the NEO A2 USB receiver from your MINIX box when it's not in use"
    You're joking, right? What's the purpose of the remote controller when you must plug it in/out every time?
  14. Wish I spotted this thread before asking for one of these for my birthday.

Batteries seem to last about 2 or 3 days - often with just minutes of use per day (putting on films).

Will have to invest in some decent rechargeables - but really, after forking out £30 for the remote (and it's a really nice remote), I should need to spend another £10-15 on rechargebles - and then have to go to the hassle of remembering to charge them every few days - for a remote control (my old £10 airmouse went through batteries every 5 or 6 months).

I think I've turned off the audio - isn't it off by default anyway?, but like Michael De Villers, need to know how I find out for certain?
  15. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

If you select the Google app or Play Store app and select the microphone for voice recognition, the musical note on the remote should light up/flash. This means it is on!

These are the batteries I use:
    Varta Ready2Use Rechargeable Ni-Mh AAA Batteries 1000 mAh Pack of 4
    You should be able to pick up a pack of 4 for as little as £5 but expect to pay maybe upto £10.
    These can last me for upto 2 weeks on one charge.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. blackcell1

blackcell1 New Member

Yeah I use to go through about 2 battery's every couple of days but now the drains getting much worse, I'm running at 2 battery's each 12hours! I've been looking around for a clear reason or solution to this issue but I'm guessing it's just a design flaw?
  17. MINIX - Ken

Is your audio ON at all time?
    Please make sure it doesn't.
  18. Zoltan Horvath

Zoltan Horvath New Member

It is a terrible product for this money you could build in a rechargeable battery. Shit
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I think a built-in battery would be wrong!
    I use rechargeable batteries that last around 2 weeks with a lot of daily usage!
    When they need replacing they get popped out and a fresh charged set popped back in.
    Now if I was to have to plug the remote in everytime it needed charging that would be inconvenient!
    midnight likes this.
  20. Joudroid

Joudroid New Member

How about this rechargeable batteries: Eneloop pro Ni-MH "Low Self Discharge"?

Someone have tried?

They seem to be the perfect match for the neo A2