1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding a second NAS to U1 using Kodi

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by BJB, Jun 17, 2018.

1. BJB

BJB New Member

Greetings,
    I know this is probably a silly question. I am technical but not well versed in Kodi. It just works...and I use it to access my home made videos on my NAS.

I have now added a second faster NAS. I just want to be able to browse to the new NAS and play additional videos. However I do not want it to "index" or whatever it because there are many duplicate files from the first NAS I have been using with the U1 since I bought it.

Like I said....I am sure it is simple but I want to access say NAS 2....the Video folder share, and see just those clips. And if I want to see NAS 1, just see those.

I think it is some type of one time setup and then browse but before I messed something up that works GREAT, I wanted to check!
    Thanks,
    BJB

PS. BTW I have recommended the U1 to many that want to view 4K files via their NAS. Works great!

2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Hi,

Very easy : Just add a new source and select the new Nas.
    When building the new source select None instead of movies so it won't be indexed.
    Name the source with the new Nas name.

I do it myself with ... 4 Nas ! :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Villa and pusb87 like this.
  3. BJB

BJB New Member

Skynet,
    Thanks! I do remember doing that with my first NAS now.

Just to make sure I do this right. When I was looking through the Kodi wikiit said if I click the "add" button in the "add video source" box, it will combine the content from both and display them together.

So if I understand correctly I need to click "browse" in that dialogue so that it allows me to browse each NAS separately if I go into "files" to play a video clip?
    And what is this about a Samba version change and you can no longer browse, but you have to in order to add the NAS?

What I was reading was "making one source from multiple locations" which is exactly what I do NOT want to do. :)

With 4 NAS's if all are production, you may want combined. With one of mine being a backup, I would have all duplicates.

Thanks,
    BJB

4. skynet

In Kodi you can add many different sources, with different protocoles if you want to.

Here is an example with my Nas.
    1) I use a H24 7/7 working Nas which i never shutdown. I added a NTFS link in Kodi and setted it to Video and automatic search for new files. Link name is HD_VIDEO
    I also have Documentary folder where i don't want automatic search, because the scrappers usually won't find metadata for them. So the link is named DOCS and setted to NONE.

2) I use 2 others NAS which are only ON when i want to watch 4K Movies. I added 2 new links with new names (XPE1_4K and XPE2_4K), setted to VIDEO but with automatic search for new files disabled.

So, when i start my Kodi, the search mechanism will only work for Nas1, and only for HD_VIDEO. This mechanism is launched at every Kodi start.
    When i add new 4K files, i just select the right folder and "Scan for new files".

;)

5. BJB

BJB New Member

Thanks again. That helps and the world will not end if I mess it up!
    My current NAS (now backup NAS) is set to not scrape metadata as it is all my work, so it does not scan for that. I have no idea if it scans for new files.

For my new NAS, I also don't want it to scrape metadata, and want it separate. So if I set it to "none" I should be able to just browse to the folder and few THAT NAS like that under files.

Since you didn't mention the "browse" vs. the "add" option above, assume that is not relevant to my issue, do I have that right?
    This little player has been pretty good to me.

Thanks,
    BJB

6. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

for any files that you dont want to "scrape" then simply add the drive/folder as a source in kodi file manager and you can play the files direct from file manager.
    any files that you wish to scrape then use the kodi add to library feature

7. BJB

BJB New Member

Thanks again. I just realized I should have clarified I am using XBMC which may have been understood but wanted to clarify if that changes anything above.

8. skynet

XBMC is a Kodi fork, same behaviour ;)

9. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

it doesnt effect behaviour but you would probably benefit from using latest kodi 17.6 on the u1 as allegedly its optimised for minix:cautious: