1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Adventures in linux, some helpfull info needed

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by dnB888, Jul 27, 2017.

1. dnB888

dnB888 New Member

Hi there, I apologize for the bad grammar in advance.

Ive been testing out different flavours of linux on this box and thought id share for those in the same boat as me. The main problem I've had is mostly driver support and of course my lack of patience to keep trying different things with each distro. I don't have the time i used to have in order to do a proper install of something similar to gentoo so i try to keep it more out of the box. Im going to post a few distros ive messed with and the pros and cons:

TrueOS - Formerly PC-BSD i think.
    Pros: N/A
    Cons: Couldn't partition or format for some really wierd reason. tried a few builds same thing. also, didn't feel like doing anything about it.

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Pros: Installed relatively quick and easy.
    Cons: Drivers! No wifi, no sound. also, note below what i did with a lot of these distros.

Linuxiums respin of Ubuntu 17.04:
    Pros: Installed quick and easy. HDMI audio works out of box.
    Cons:No wifi, The X server is broken, cursor turns into 400x400px squares of garbage. Didn't really try much else though.

Fedora Core 26
    Pros: BEST ONE YET! EVERYTHING EXCEPT WIFI WORKS OUT OF BOX ISH....
    cons: no wifi out of box. default desktop is laggy, installed xfce to fix it tho. might need a gfx driver.

OVERALL PROBLEMS:

I need to know what chipset these register as, i downloaded the the windows driver bundle posted in the forum and found out a bunch. However, getting the broadcom wifi driver to install never worked out for me yet. including working on the kernel. they say if your a fedora user you can use this script:

Code:
    #/usr/bin/env bash

# Install some pacakages we'll need to compile the driver below.
    sudo dnf install gcc kernel-devel -y

# Create working dir for Broadcom driver files and patches.
    mkdir hybrid_wl_f23

# Change to working dir.
    cd hybrid_wl_f23

if [ 'x86_64' == `uname -m` ]; then
        # 64-bit driver files.
        FILE='hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz'
    else
        # 32-bit driver files.
        FILE='hybrid-v35-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz'
    fi

# Download Broadcom Linux Wi-Fi driver.
    wget https://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/repo/pkgs/nonfree/broadcom-wl/hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz/115903050c41d466161784d4c843f4f9/hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz

# Extract driver files.
    tar zxvf hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz

# Compile driver.
    make clean && make

# Install driver.
    sudo make install

# Update available drivers.
    sudo depmod -a

# Unload conflicting drivers.
    sudo rmmod b43 ssb bcma

# Load the driver.
    sudo modprobe wl

# Blacklist conflicting drivers.
    printf 'blacklist b43\nblacklist ssb\nblacklist bcma\n' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf

# Load driver automatically at boot time.
    echo 'wl' | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/wl.conf

# Connect to a Wi-Fi network via NetworkManager...

its a bash script i found online. however i had to edit the link as it was broken, fixed it for you guys ;) Its called "fedora23_broadcom_wl_install.sh" if you want to look it up. People have had success with fedora 23 and up having it compile properly. Not me tho, maybe someone here can play with it?
    Is it possible to have a list of the drivers via their chipset names? eg: wifi = broacom4*** or whatever it is. Id rather know what to look for so i can open up a few more doors as to what distros im sure i can probably run. I wouldn't mind making a guide here if we can all put our heads together on this then people like me wont have to do so much work lol.

Thanks guys,
  2. Linuxium

Linuxium Linux Evangelist Dev Group

Wifi now works (along with audio both over HDMI and through headphones) ... see this post.