1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Android 5.0 or Cyanogen for NEO X8-H?

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by alexandrev, Sep 12, 2015.

1. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

It has been a year since I bought my NEO X8-H and since then, I didn't have any oficial update through the app (no OTA for me). All the updates I have to do using the ZIP file and the flashloader, but I want to know if anyone knows or tried to update the NEO X8-H to Android 5.0 or to a custom ROM like Cyanogen 12.x.

I'm trying to get an experience similar to the Google Nexus with the Google / Android TV Launcher and the apps focus on the TV way to work.

Anyone could give a hint about that?

Thanks in advance
  2. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

No news, here?
  3. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

No news after months... I feel very alone with a few users trying to push the upgrades on our devices you keep using it as it was expected and don't be stuck using OS for years ago. I need a way to enjoy netflix on my Minix and not the mobile version expanded. That's not a solution for any customer.
    Sambolero likes this.
  4. Vitalit

Vitalit New Member

Hey, i read your Post for months. I just change my Device, from X8 to U1. U can do it also if you want to use Android 5 on your TV Box

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  5. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

But, I don't understand you. You are saying about buying a new product? or updating the firmware?
  6. Vitalit

Vitalit New Member

Sorry, i'm about buying new one. And sold the old

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  7. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

Any ideas if could be possible to upgrade firmware to the one that belongs to the U1?
    Miro007 likes this.
  8. djinception

djinception New Member

I too want to know when we are going to get and Android version update. There are apps I want to install on my MiniX that simply are not compatible with it. I have even tried tricking the app in to thinking it was an updated version of Android but it does not work.
    Come on MINIX, it is about time you upgraded to Lollipop or even Marshmallow. I have only had the device for just over a year. I would have expected a premium device like the MINIX would have been updated more regularly.
    Being it was voted the best Android box on the market at the time and also being marked as premium, it why I purchased it in the first place. If you cannot keep it updated, I will move on to another OEM.
    Very poor service from MINIX.
  9. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

10. Kollektiv01

Kollektiv01 Member

11. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

I don't understand why we are not getting any answer for any MINIX Company member to discuss with us the topics we are talking about and which are their reasons and which alternatives paths we got to solve these problems that we have
    Miro007 and beppe_wide like this.
  12. jorgefcbastos

jorgefcbastos New Member

This company doesn't like to have happy costumers I think. No updates for a well prepared device and the same bugs ever. Today I wouldn't buy any Minix device. Also have X8-H.

Enviado do meu NEO-X8-H atrav├ęs de Tapatalk
  13. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

14. claudchan

claudchan New Member

+1
    Please tell what's the development plans here?
    Will Minix be getting latest Android such as lollipop, marshmallow and 'N'?
    Or there will be no further development and just stay in KitKat?
    Or hardware issue cannot support latest OS?

---

"Why have Lollipops or Marshmallows when you can have Chocolate!"
    Why stay if there will be no security updates and no more updated features? :unsure:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  15. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I like Chocolate!!! ;):D
    It has nothing to do with Android versions! (It is a play on words!)
  16. glockman4519

glockman4519 New Member

I have made up my mind and I will not be purchasing any other Minix products. The lack of communication and security updates was the turning point for me.
  17. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

18. glockman4519

glockman4519 New Member

That's cool that there is hope for the "Plus" but I got the X8 - H... Not the Plus. That means that the $150.00 plus android box that I purchased from Minix, that assured it was going to have support, is not going to be upgraded to anything. So a lot of the apps that I have moved on to in L, M and now N are not going to be supported on this device.
    I read up before making this purchase and from what I read, at the time, this was the box to get. But with in months of my purchase the Plus rolled out and further dev for my device came to a hult.
    I am going to look into Tronsmart again and a couple other manufactures this time around. At least on my last Tronsmart there were third party updates/builds like CM builds and others that gave me some choice.
    To each his own I say. And if Minix is what you like than "good on you mate"... Enjoy... But I am moving to another manufactures device.
    SALMIGHTY likes this.
  19. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

I enjoy my Minix for what I bought it for - a compact and quiet streaming media player, which it does very nicely thank you. Good luck with your misguided quest for perpetual upgradability "mate"!! Bye.
    Villa likes this.
  20. glockman4519

glockman4519 New Member

I was not trying to upset you in any way "Minorca Man". All I was saying was if you are happy, and it looks as if you are, than that it's great. But I want security updates to protect my devices, privacy and data. That's my preference. It's not everyone's though and I get it. So yes, I moving on and will be looking for a device that will have at least security updates.