1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Android 5.1

Discussion in 'NEO X6 Custom ROMs, Kernels and Discussion' started by sammo, Jul 19, 2015.

1. sammo

sammo New Member

Hi Ken and all...

Amlogic have release Android 5.1 for S805: google "openlinux amlogic" (I'm new to this forum and unable to post links)

As I understand, to download the source code an application form needs to be filled in to get an account on their git repository. Do you know if individuals (e.g. myself) can get access to it or do you need to belong to a vendor? If individuals can't get access, could Minix sponsor community developers in getting access?

Anyways, even with access to the source code, do you know how hard it is to build using Amlogic SDK? And how well would vanilla Amlogic Android run on X6?

Also does the Minix community have access to the Minix source code? Which parts are covered by GPL?

Any tips would be appreciated.
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

You should send an inquiry to Amlogic directly.
    According to the NDA we signed, we couldn't share any sources with a 3rd party.
    But they could release to anybody they want to.
    It's not MINIX's source code you need, it's theirs.

I think you mean this:
    http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox/5.1_ReleaseInfo
    Amlogic told me it's based on old 3.10 kernel and will not go official.
    (official should be built with new 3.14 kernel)
  3. sammo

sammo New Member

I found out the following from Amlogic:

"Openlinux is public server Amlogic uses to make source code accessible for authorized Amlogic partners."

I can't post the link to the request procedure yet because this forum doesn't let me yet (I think I need to wait another day), but you can find it from google search "amlogic openlinux request"

It looks like an Amlogic partner needs to contact the sales team, and they don't say where to send the form to.

I guess Minix is an Amlogic partner. Any chance you could help me?
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

They told me things on there are based on old 3.10 kernel and won't be maintained.
    The "good" version will be based on 3.14 kernel and is not ready.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android-5-0-lollipop-changelog/
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.14
    HardwareGuru likes this.
  5. sutin phanpranompri

sutin phanpranompri New Member

how can i up firmware from 4.4.2 to 5.1. Please explain or send me link how to up firmware. Thanks
  6. artouiros

artouiros Member

7. sonofdibnah

sonofdibnah New Member

Bump to you Ken. MINIX support reputation is at risk here if you want to stand head and shoulders above the other, cheaper, Chinese manufacturers. I, for one, will be very disappointed if the X6 is abandoned.
  8. artouiros

artouiros Member

will this work if I compile sources by myself?
  9. deadjoen

deadjoen New Member

Me too. Come on Minix. Synology support their hardware all the way. We want you to step up.
  10. computass

computass New Member

Is there any further update on Android 5 availability on the X6? I have about 30 of these units out with clients and we all want to be able to run Kodi V17.
  11. chris007ck

chris007ck New Member

Any update on Android 5...I have been googling but found hardly any info. Any info would be great.
  12. Slimdat2k

Slimdat2k New Member

Any update on android 5 for x6...website says designed for the future. Which future?
  13. sammo

sammo New Member

I gave up a while ago.

Another cheap Chinese manufacturer masquerading as a premium brand.
  14. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Would you like to put your money where your mouth is and point us to any "cheap Chinese manufacturer" that has released 8 firmware updates for one of its media streaming boxes?! :rolleyes:
    mark2 likes this.
  15. sammo

sammo New Member

So when will Minix be releasing a new ROM for the X6? :rolleyes:
  16. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

There is probably as much chance of Minix releasing an Android 5.x ROM for the X6 as there is of you successfully answering the question I posed above!! o_O
    mark2 likes this.
  17. sammo

sammo New Member

In case you didn't realise, I was saying that Minix is just as bad as the other cheap Chinese manufacturers.

Seriously I was the OP to this thread with good intentions but have had zero help from Minix.

Oh and thanks for deleting my answer.
  18. mark2

mark2 Active Member

You having a laugh you must be
  19. sammo

sammo New Member

Wow this is the most active the forum has been. Why don't you do something useful now?
  20. mark2

mark2 Active Member

careful now I read what got deleted you seem to be getting a little wound up