1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Lior Mishal, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lior Mishal

Lior Mishal New Member

Hi ,

i've noticed that there are no plans for 5.x android OS upgrade over the MINIX appliances , are there any plans for the upcoming android 6 OS ?

TIA ,
    Joudroid likes this.
  2. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I don't know what MINIX's plans are for sure but I would imagine it is the same as it always has been.
    Once AML, RK, etc release a stable well working 5.x, 6.x firmware then MINIX may work on it if needed. I doubt you will see it on the X8 series.
    I'm not sure if @HardwareGuru & the dev crew want to get it working on the X7/mini & X5/mini.

We have stable, almost totally bug free and fully functional feature rich firmwares at the moment. Starting again on a higher version means months & months of bug squashing for not much gain other than a number.
    Grimag likes this.
  3. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Only when the chip manufactures have "stable" releases of a new OS.
    At the moment neither Rockchip or Amlogic are having "Stable releases".
    We still have to wait and see what happens at the SOC chip manufacturers for now.
  4. Pipes

Pipes New Member

I would like to say that the Minix device is excellent. And I chose Minix over the other Android boxes because they have a good history of supporting their devices and constantly trying to improve on them.

I do believe that an upgrade to 5.1.1 with latest patches from Google or 6.0 is necessary.

These devices are connected to the Internet and security should be important. The Andriod Stagefright vulnerability is pretty serious. I would hope that Minix is aware and will be taking steps towards an eventual update. I'm not saying for all their devices but they should be properly supporting the latest X8 series.
    Nishant and GMRR like this.
  5. HardwareGuru

Ps.. Stagefeight vulnarability is currently patched in "all minix devices latest firmwares"... Just to show its not about os numbers....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk
    Andrea Borgia and Grimag like this.
  6. Pipes

Pipes New Member

It is? Great!! I guess I must of missed that when I was reviewed the change logs in fw006 or fw007. Thanks
    Keep up the good work. Then there is no need to move versions for extra OS features if it will come at the cost of instability in the OS.
  7. HardwareGuru

Eventhough stagefright bug is vulnarable on mms messages (wich requires mobile network) wich these boxes do not have we have patched all firmwares with these security fixes. For your info, in the past we have done other important security fixes as well. I think stagefright fix was mentioned in the changelogs but remember not all changes will make it to the changelogs.

Andrea Borgia likes this.
  8. HardwareGuru

Dear all NEO X8-H Plus users,<br />(Please note that this firmware update is available for X8-H PLUS users)<br />Change log (since 006A 20150708 firmware):<br /><br />1.) Volume locked when passthrough mode is in use (removed in FW007A)<br />2.) libstagefright security patches<br />3.) Fixed YouTube livestream unable to play issue (Fixed in FW007A)<br />4.) Added simultaneous HDMI and analog audio switch<br />5.) Added Ethernet to faked WiFi state option<br />6.) Fixed SPDIF PCM no output issue<br />7.) Fixed Vidon XBMC 3D playback issue<br />8.) Added RK remote app compatibility support<br />

9. Ian Kent

Ian Kent New Member

Not everyone has the same needs.

I very much prefer the Android TV v5 interface on the TV, so much so that my Minix is not used any more.
    Don't get me wrong the Minux device is quite stable and I do appreciate the device for what it is, unfortunately the Android version it runs is, to me, is quite frustrating which is not the fault of the Minux folks.

The Android TV v5 interface and layout of the available apps. is a lot better from my POV but it also means the same app. selection is not available so others might not like that.
    Sadly the statement about months and months of debugging is pretty much always true with any software major version update and that's a big hurdle.

I don't know how it could be done but either a "strictly as time permits only", either Minix or Minix assisted community project with a "use at your own risk" mantra would be one possible way to work toward providing this to Minix device owners that believe they need it without adding a burden to the Minix people. That also assumes that the appropriate beta or pre-release SDKs are available to anyone choosing to work on it, which also might not be the case, I don't know.

Then there's the risk that, if there was a release done, then people would start demanding it become official and complaining things weren't being fixed etc. which could end up reflecting badly on the Minux folks.

And then there's the problem of attracting people to spend time on it too .....

Ian
    patn and Nishant like this.
  10. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Android TV v5 is not the same thing as Android Lollipop.
    If it is just the interface that stops you using your minix device you should spend some time setting up a launcher. Take a look at the launcher thread to see what is possible.

http://www.minixforum.com/index.php?posts/3082
    Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  11. Ian Kent

Ian Kent New Member

I don't understand your play on names here, you'll need to spell that out so I can be specific.
    I also don't understand how the launcher can influence which layout resources are selected by applications and it's quite possible that there are additional API interfaces in the later Android version that provide the Android TV layout functionality, you'll need to spell that out too.

I don't want to change the launcher unless it will bring the application interface I seek, at least for those that implement it well, as I quite like the default Minix launcher.
  12. Gh0st

Maybe something like this @Ian Kent?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DXIDev.Top_TV_launcher&hl=en
    There are a few decent Android TV style launchers, if you search for TV launcher in the play store it's easy to pick something you like.

I tried Android TV on my MOJO and couldnt get rid of it quick enough. As you said it's a personal thing.
    The main thing to remember here is whether AMLogic or Rockchip port these firmwares over to their SoCs.
    Releasing beta style firmwares didn't really work well in the past which is why we moved closed betas. It tended to cause more problems than what it solved.
  13. Ian Kent

Ian Kent New Member

Sure but, as I say, it's not the launcher itself, it's the layout of the applications themselves that I'm after.

Even with Android TV v5.1.1 on Nexus Player the ES File Explorer application (that has somehow made it into the app store for the Android TV platform, perhaps because it is so useful rather than Android TV layout compatibility) interface is really difficult to navigate with only the standard remote and even with a Harmony remote. I find it extremely frustrating and quite annoying. Yes, I know, I have an Air Mouse with the X8-H Plus and it works well but nevertheless, once you like something a lot it's hard to accept anything else.

I believe that there will be some setting that tells multi-layout applications what set of resources to use (if they support the layout) and, as I also mentioned, I don't know if there are API extensions in v5+ to provide the layout selection support for Android TV.

Do you know if launchers such as the one you've recommended support that sort of platform selection functionality?

It's been a long time since I looked at the Android source and even then I just tinkered with a couple of things that didn't work which I needed so I really don't know the ins and outs of current Android releases.

Yes, quite right, it is a personal preference based on environment and usage patterns (Family or tinkerer makes a big difference to one's outlook).
    And AFAICS the AMLogic SDK requires partner status, so that's probably a no go for a start.

Ian
  14. Gh0st

Ahhh OK I'm with you now, I wasn't aware the apps layout changed on ATV.
    I understand what you mean though, I think Solid Explorer was the first app I bought and its layout is perfect on my phone/tab but not so user friendly on set top boxes.

Well unfortunately never say never is about all I could say.. not much consolation I know. I'm just not sure it's at the top (or even on) of the priorities list unfortunately.
  15. Ian Kent

Ian Kent New Member

LOL, that's right, and ES File Explorer was probably not the best example since the difference between it on Android and ATV is not so large.
    But Play Movies & TV is an example of an app that's very different in terms of usability between the two.
    Kodi, OTOH, is not different at all as it has its own big screen look and feel that appears the same everywhere.

Sure but I think I've made my point now.

I got the impression the feeling was there was no real gain to be had by considering this, only a bunch debugging pain.
    And that's not quite right, at least for some, perhaps quite a few people really.

So it is actually worth the Minix folks re-considering it.

Ian
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  16. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

It's important to keep in mind the differences between Android TV OS vs Android OS that MINIX uses.

Regardless of updating to a newer OS version, we have no intention to adopt the official Android TV OS - such as Google's Nexus Player and NVIDIA Shield - so the experience/features/look will never be the same as you find on those devices.
    Joudroid likes this.
  17. Ian Kent

Ian Kent New Member

Right, at least that makes it clear to me that MINIX will never be what I want for TV usage and so won't need to keep returning here to check.
  18. alexandrev

alexandrev New Member

I agree with the motives you have to not adopt the Android TV OS that OK, because you need to be free to do your own customizations to boost the product with your own rules. That's fine. But, all the users of the MINIX products could not be stuck at the 4.4.4 version when the applications start to update to only 5.0+ version compatiblities. One recent case in the TV version of the Popcorn Time but in the near future more will be doing the same move. We need to move forward in the OS base.

That's my humble opinion and sorry if it bothers some of you.
  19. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

It doesnt matter you are not using the android tv os. If you update minix to 5.0, with a workaround you can run the android tv apps, and the launcher. Please consider it for us, or consider making a separate build for the time being. I, and many more would be very grateful.
    DeGroo likes this.
  20. DeGroo

DeGroo Member

Indeed, the android tv app layout looks great, even if it's just consistency we're talking about. Apps like TuneIn Radio and DailyMotion already appear like this on the minix and my guess is that this happens because they detect minix as a Google tv device. The same apps/apks do not have that layout if installed on a phone or tablet. same as play music or play movies and tv, the app detects the system and displays the appropriate (included) layout.

I too would like to see a lollipop upgrade to the minix, just to be able to side load or experiment with android tv apps (youtube for android tv is already sideloadable and a much better version).

Installing netflix for Android tv on the minix would also be interesting, as it supports hd and 4k and might be a solution to the minix /netflix problem. Of course the app needs at least android 5.0 so it can't be side loaded right now
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.