1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Lior Mishal, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBig

MrBig Member

So why is Minix falling behind many other popular TV box manufacturers, by not keeping up with Android versions. 5.x has been out for quite some time and now 6.x. And still no upgrade. I hope I didn't make a mistake purchasing X8 Plus units.
  2. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

What does 5.x offer that you need?
    All the security patches from 5.x & up are integrated into MINIX's firmwares so it would only really be features (if any) or a different name/number that is the difference
    red eye likes this.
  3. MrBig

MrBig Member

I'm one of the many tech people that just like to have up to date firmware, software, etc.
    Also there are a lot of features, other than security patches, that are available in 5.x.
    It has been my experience that most Android devices can be updated to the latest firmware, unless there is hardware issues that prevents it.
    I've purchased several NEO X8 Plus units with the promise that are fully up-gradable.
    So asking for a version 5.x upgrade, when 6.x is soon to be released (already has been in certain markets), isn't out of line.
    Bennett83 likes this.
  4. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

@MrBig
    as you were kindly asked by @Gh0st what features are not available to us in 5.x and above i think there may be quite a few who would be interested to know what these are so could you expand on your response please ?
  5. red eye

red eye Member

Minix sale his boxes with a version of android , if you need realy updates your box you can install custom rooms......and other great stuff
    So you will have a lot of choice ......
    But better use orginal android version with last firmware to be shure that all hardware works properly !
  6. MrBig

MrBig Member

@Gh0st @Frederick_99 , First and foremost, the newer versions of Android are faster and more responsive, with more stability, fixes for video lag and random lockups, and the list goes on.
    Also to mention, if one chooses to use the Minix box for more than just XBMC/KODI, the many new Apps available. I've used the MINIX boxes for many more applications, including VOIP, to name one. You can Google to see all the evident differences and benefits.

I feel the point of this discussion is not whether MINIX can or cannot upgrade at this time, (I believe they cannot at this time), but rather what the benefits would be, no matter how subtle.
    General rule is, it is always better to upgrade. This could be argued by someone who does not like change, or wants to run that specific program on a computer or app on a phone, tablet or box. Look at the windows OS. I have customers who refuse to move off of XP and others who immediately upgraded to 10. The fact is upgrading to 10 outweighs any incompatibilities with old software or hardware. Of course this could again be argued by those who do not wish to upgrade, because they have old hardware or software or just don't like change.
    @red eye, Yes you're statement is correct. Various custom OS ROMS can be flashed to the box. But a newer Android version would be a plus for someone that does not want to customize their box, for fear of bricking or voiding a warranty.
    Fastrite likes this.
  7. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Or those that remember Windows Vista :whistle:
    midnight, red eye and Frederick_99 like this.
  8. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

Well we all have our opinion about the benefits of "upgrading" and whilst i don't agree with all you say i can respect your views.
    however, to your first and foremost speed is not a great issue for me, the minix runs quite fast enough for my use ( mainly kodi) and i haven't suffered from video lag, random lockups, audio dropouts, wifi/ethernet issues, sleep issues or otherwise. Its been rock solid.
  9. red eye

red eye Member

The best was Windows millenium with the blue screen crash...;-)
  10. mojorisin35

mojorisin35 Member

"(youtube for android tv is already sideloadable and a much better version). "
    sounds interesting have you loaded it onto your minix? if so would you be open to directing me to the APK walking me through the process?
    Thank you
    Gary
  11. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

12. massimoflea

massimoflea New Member

13. mojorisin35

mojorisin35 Member

14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Install it and you will find out!
  15. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Of course you guys saw this question coming. But now that the minix neo U1 is coming with lollipop. Will the x8h plus users be able to update? Or do we have to buy the new box is we want to have lollipop so badly?
  16. MrBig

MrBig Member

Oh I'm sure MINIX will release Lopllipop for the NEO X8 PLUS soon. It's too new.
    I'm surprised the NEO U1 doesn't have an 8 core like the competition?
  17. Joudroid

Joudroid New Member

For now, a "Pure Android" experience is MUCH better than Android TV OS, belive me! Maybe/probably in the future the Android TV OS it will be a better choice for minix boxes but for now Minix should stick with the pure android os. Android OS is great because you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want to, on Android TV OS ou are limited for now.
  18. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Sure Joudroid, but... Why not have both? Xp you can install it on lollipop..
  19. Joudroid

Joudroid New Member

Almost every apps and games from android aren't compatible with Android TV OS, only a few. You can sideload apps and games but they will not work, with luck, and again, only a few will run.
  20. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Like i told in my post before, You can install android tv ON lollipop. Which gives people the option to use both. And also if it was like that you wouldnt have to sideload anymore, you can just install aptoide and install everything from there ;) But like i said, you can run them both because android tv is just a launcher, you can use em both on 1 device.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.