1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Android TV on the Minix U9-H

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by JJ-KwiK, Jun 22, 2017.

1. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

Not only is it possible, I left a copy of the apk inside the ROM in case anyone wanted to try it. Using a file manager that allows you to view system folders, navigate to system/GAssistant and install the apk (should be the name of the folder. I can't remember and I'm not home to check). The apk should install over the current Google app.

I posted the last release in such a rush, I forgot to mention it.

2. nick babalis

nick babalis New Member

Excuse me for the question.Whats the difference installing Android TV fw007 than having official 007 firmware?thnx in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. Sawbones

Sawbones New Member

Just wanted to say, this is working really well for me, thank you so much for doing this!
    Only thing that would make it better would be a HAD Netflix Android TV App and the YouTube TV Android TV app - I can't find apks for either right now, just the regular android versions...

4. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

Happy to hear that you like it.

Netflix for Android TV works. It's just not available in the play store. Download it from aptoide TV (pre-installed on this ROM). I don't believe there is a YouTube TV for Android TV app released yet, but I could be wrong.

Edit:
    I just read that YouTube TV for Android TV was only released for nougat+ devices.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    romanrsr likes this.
  5. romanrsr

romanrsr New Member

Hello friends! Anyone try to install the new version of Android TV Home 1.1.11-100-4505063? (Android Oreo)
    I try to replace the new APK in / system / priv-app / LeanbackLauncher, by the original LeanbackLauncher.apk, but when I restart it the old launcher keeps appearing.

6. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

It won't work. It requires Oreo to run. It doesn't work on official ATV devices that don't have Oreo either.

7. romanrsr

romanrsr New Member

Ouch! Thank you so much! I ask you another question, how can I root the last version you passed? Try the forum method, but when I open the SuperSU it tells me that I have to update the binaries, and when I update them I get an error.

8. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

The latest release is prerooted. There is no need to follow the, "forum method".

9. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

Basko and Harley777dude like this.
  10. proxiblue

proxiblue New Member

Hi,

Awesome job, thank you very much for your tie and effort.

SO many posts, and search don't reveal this has been mentioned, so if duplicate, sorry.
    Two things, one to help, one a question:

1. I tried multiple times to boot from a USB with recovery.img. Always ended up on a unreadable screen (looks like bad refresh rate), with all text warped as lines across screen. Tried all three USB ports, and different USB sticks, all same result. I eventually got a SD card and it just worked. Don't know what I did wrong, or if there is an issue with certain unit revisions.

2. The netflix app seems to have networking issues. I still need to investigate, but for about 50% of the content, I get error : (tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)) - cannot share a link, so google that. It is reported as network connection issue of device.

If I test network inside netflix app, it reports all good, with a steady and fast connection.

kwabdul likes this.
  11. MichiMess

MichiMess New Member

12. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

@proxiblue - No worries.
    1- I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't experienced that issue.
    2- I experience the same thing very rarely when I wake my box from sleep. 5% maybe... A reboot seems to fix the problem. I have been looking into it, but have been falling short. What version of Netflix are you using? Which ATV release are you using?

@MichiMess - Shoot me a PM.

13. jjjshaw

jjjshaw New Member

This is so awesome, it's so great to have a beautiful looking Android TV style UI without having to root!

I followed the further instructions to get the ATV Netflix, which involved the .zip fix and the apk, but I got a weird warped and screwed up screen when I went into recovery to boot TWRP.

5 minutes prior I did the same thing with the recovery.img and the ATV files and everything ran smoothly, backup and installation.
    Now I put those two Netflix related items onto my flash drive and it doesn't seem to want to comply, very weird!

I remove the flash drive and turn on the device as per normal and everything boots perfectly fine to ATV, interesting... any thoughts?

edit: after removing the Netflix related files completely from the flash drive, there is still a failure to boot properly/warped + unreadable TV screen, the flash drive only contains the backup, the ATV related files and the recovery.img, moving my backup off the flash drive to an EXHDD and will attempt booting with just the recovery.img

edit: I even formatted the flash drive to a complete wipe and put the recovery.img and netflix files just on there, still a warped screen, doesn't make sense, it worked normally the first time..

I've now reformatted to a different formatting type, and I get a different warped screen... okay.....

edit: this is now very frustrating haha, two complete reformats, nothing on the flash drive except recovery.img, and I get this warped screen. I can't even boot to recovery anymore. Is this to do with ATV???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  14. jjjshaw

jjjshaw New Member

never mind, I had no idea it was in Aptoide... thats what I get for not properly reading a thread!

still annoying that I can't get to TWRP though..... what if I want to restore? :(

also any way to delete apps from home screen but not uninstall?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  15. Yag97

Yag97 New Member

Hi i try to restore the android tv rom and allways i am getting an error messege 255,what can cause that?

16. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

@jjjshaw - Are you able to boot into stock recovery? No, this is not normal behavior and I also do not believe the issue is related to the ATV mod.

Try the following:
    - make sure your usb device is formatted to fat32
    - try a different usb stick
    - try a different usb port
    - try an sd card
    - try downloading a fresh copy of the recovery img
    - others have reported that holding the reset button is not required when booting into recovery/custom recovery

If that doesn't work, can you take a picture of the screen, so i can see it?

That netflix fix you downloaded is not needed with the latest release.

Removing apps from the homescreen but not deleting them is not possible with Android TV. Its a limitation set by Google. You can always modify the app to remove leanback launcher intent, if you're comfortable with that kind of thing.

@Yag97 - it sounds like you're not using the proper folder structure. Please re-read the opening post.

Yag97 likes this.
  17. jjjshaw

jjjshaw New Member

Thanks for your reply!
    - First of all, thank you for the clarification on the Netflix situation, I was doing some trial and error last night and just decided to install the apk without the fix and what do you know? Netflix is working perfectly haha

- The USB flash drive is fat32, I have tried one other flash drive (fat32) and changed to every port, no result.

- I downloaded a fresh copy of recovery.img straight onto my USB, tried that, no result.

- When the USB is connected to the device, holding down the power button ONLY simply has the Minix logo + Android up on the screen forever practically, I've sat there holding in the power button ONLY for up to 5 minutes, and it never gets off the Minix + Android logo.

- When the USB is disconnected from the device, holding down the power button ONLY does succeed in bringing up to "stock" recovery.img, though obviously without the USB connected, nothing can be done.

So in summary, I can't get to TWRP without using the pinhole method, and when I do use the pinhole method, I get my warped screen.
    I can access the stock recovery by only holding the power button, but the USB has to be disconnected.
    Different USBs have been attempted, all fat32, different ports, different recovery.img

It's just so odd because when I initially put the recovery.img on the blank USB drive for the backup of files before installing ATV, TWRP came straight up! And after the backup, when I went to install ATV with the associated files, again, popped straight up. Not anymore..

Find attached some photos, the warped screen and managing to get the stock recovery.

edit: unsure if perhaps rebooting from stock recovery will do anything significant? will wait on your reply before I go dicking around

28124554_10215973490873606_1021186526_o.jpg 28124847_10215973490233590_785930780_o.jpg

18. Yag97

Yag97 New Member

Thank you ! Working great !!
    I have a question-if i will download android 7 or 8 and try to install it with TWRP it will work?

19. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

@jjjshaw - That's weird. Behind the distortion, it looks like the twrp recovery. A few people seem to have this issue going by the root thread. http://www.minixforum.com/threads/root-the-u9-h.16279/#post-131168

Things to try:
    - while the screen is distorted, unplug the hdmi cable, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in
    - an SD card
    - a different tv
    - try a different hdmi cable
    - try entering the custom recovery without holding the reset button
    - others have reported alternative twrp recovery imgs as working, but I have not tested them so I can't confirm. https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqculrsyvwnxfjn/recovery.img?dl=0 or https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ecovery-twrp-3-0-2-sunvell-t95z-plus-t3557812

@Yag97 - No, sorry. It doesn't work like that. We have to wait on Minix to update the base firmware.

20. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

Hy,

Is it possible to install this Android tv ROM on an sd card and dual boot?
    Thank you in advance!