1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Announced Android 5 firmware for X8H Plus delayed or cancelled?

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by donatinho, May 9, 2017.

1. donatinho

donatinho Member

Hi there,
    since somehow it seems the discussion in Firmware v.11 seemed "out of topic" ,even if Minix Ken announced there the upcoming Android 5 update,, hence I'm opening a new thread, with the VERY remote hope to get an official answer to the most obvious question: Will this new firmware, promised for March-April, ever reach us or not? and if so, when? And NO, it's not don't ask for ETA, since i report exactly what Minix Ken has written:
  2. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Thanks for setting up this thread, looking forward to an update from Minix :)
    Thanks for setting up separate thread, other suppliers have supplied OS update on S812 http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916&pid=2529336#pid2529336

Looking forward to update from Minix on this.
  3. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Active Member

There is no unambiguous answer we've got until now from them. But I'll consider Minix is solely responsible here because they didn't deliver what they promised to bring in. They should be stigmatised with no doubt for that.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    samoaproud likes this.
  4. donatinho

donatinho Member

My point is: you are assembling and selling products as premium devices, with a price quite above the average, then you have to be aware that customers are also paying for post sales support. I would prefer NOT reading any announce if it's not fulfilled, and I agree that X8H plus stick to android 4.4 is really a shame.
    scouserblueblood, Dinko and Grint like this.
  5. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Active Member

Amlogic is here to blame for sdk release - they will just spring this into action.

6. donatinho

donatinho Member

The SDK for Android 5 is out there since 2 years now. It may not be perfect, but there are plenty of tv boxes based on S812 with Android 5. So, once again, we come to the Minix Ken post, that also stated they would have released it since may customers are asking for it. And, once again , where is the update? too busy to write down "sorry things are not working we need more time" or "it won't work, no update at all"? First rule of customer support -never let your customer without information, he will ALWAYS thinks the worst.
  7. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Active Member

Again it is Minix who is trying to persuade you somehow that this box is older enough to throw away and buy a new one like U9 or something else.

8. aston23

aston23 New Member

Come on Minix. We are waiting for this...
  9. Grint

Grint New Member

I am also disappointed by Minix. It's not like the deadline hasn't passed already!
    harrison_ford likes this.
  10. donatinho

donatinho Member

I am astonished by Minix silence. I understand why most ppl go buy a cheap tv box, same support but 1/4th the cost

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk
  11. dryster

dryster Active Member

It does not take a rocket scientist @donatinho to see what has happened, crowd all the complainers into one thread and then ignore that thread. I would think that the noise regarding the issues with the U9-H is drowning out the noise from the remaining disgruntled X8-H Plus users. the moderators appear to be fatigued with just fending off endless questions about something that is on the back burner, or worse, something that is never going to happen.
  12. donatinho

donatinho Member

I could buy a Beelink GT1 with same issues of U9-H for 50€ instead of 160€, not hard to make a choice
  13. dryster

dryster Active Member

Partially true, I've just bought two generic S905 boxes at the C$30 level including two day fedex shipping and taxes and I can get them to work and run Kodi 17.1 and other good stuff, but there is no support whatsoever, nothing, and updating firmware would just be a crap shoot.
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  14. donatinho

donatinho Member

On the the other hand, when you get bored or just want a new tv box, you can go and get a new one and don't complain for 160€ spent. At full price I would never get a U9H or before an X8H plus, for not much more you can buy a Nvidia Shield which is MUCH faster (it's basically same hardware or Nintendo Switch) and a real customer support for years.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk
  15. dryster

dryster Active Member

@donatinho I would never buy an Nvidia Shield, because it's a "bid up" item, and in reality, doing my homework, it's not going to give me anything that a bunch of ragtag devices already provide. I'm always bored, which is why there is a constant flow of electronic stuff here with huge overlap, I don't get, or try not to get into complaining mode, because between all the devices I own, there is stuff to listen to and watch. MINIX, like MYGICA are a company, we adults know that they need to sell stuff, that's fair enough. I really have low expectations of any corporation, which is probably why I like my red wine.

The Nvidia shield possibly could do more than one of these thirty dollar S905 boxes, it may do more than my rock sold NEO X8-H Plus running Kitkat, but why would I need it if all the orphans I own deliver everything else? - I will probably keep the X8-H Plus for a year or so, my X6 will leave me soon just because it's response time is irritating.

I'm not sure of the exchange rate, but thirty Canadian dollars is probably close to twenty US$ again.

The ROKU gives me rock solid Canadian Netflix, I have tried everything else, but that device is the king. There are also many, many other good things about the Roku, Bloomberg TV, Red Bull TV, etc and often the same stuff is available on the ATV.
    The NUC gives me rock solid browser based streaming, you can't beat a windows machine for that. It also supports the latest KODI and geoblocked stuff.
    The MINIX NEO X8-H Plus is very good for some of my geoblocked stuff, some Android apps are very bad, but some are very good.
    The ATV3 has three or four channels, jeepers, imagine that, a sixty dollar investment four years ago has given me four channels of good stuff, plus back in the day when we could fool Netflix, USA Netflix all for the one price of Canadian admission.

All you need is a HDMI switch and the ability to keep all the plates spinning.

Always best to move on. No point in complaining on this planet, no one is really listening.
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Menorca Man likes this.
  16. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Minix X8H-Plus as been supported since 2014 latest firmware update being January/Febuary 2017
    that is real customer support for years
  17. me who

me who Member

Bug fixes and feature updates since 2014 for sure as advertised for a top of the line box. But also broken promises and the last official Minix XMBC version of 15.3! Instead of updating their old android version I wish they had come through with their promised delivery date of Android 5.1 :( Lollipop came out in 2014 after all! Nexus player came out in 2014 and it has Nougat! It was only $99 at release! Now that is what I call software support!
  18. gsaronni

gsaronni New Member

I think nothing is going to move soon.

While Kodi Jarvis continue running on my X8 H Plus I will keep cause it is the main reason for owning a TV Box, when it fails I will go to another one
  19. Grippy Man

Grippy Man Active Member

an improbable story Minix is always trying to make, but truth is all the users of X8H Plus are real sufferer. X8-H Plus users are totally confined by Minix.
  20. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Or you could try another fork of Kodi 17 which is working on android 4.4.

I just set up a Minix X5 for my brother which he picked up for 20euro. Its running the official Kitkat firmware (v250) and I've set up official Kodi 16.1, Minix XBMC 16.3 and SPMC 16.2 (HWG version modified for Rockchip)
    All three are working fine with some popular addons. In addition I've installed some TV on-demand apps, youtube, a few basic games (for the kids) etc. It has everything he needs (and more)
    Its not always about having the latest or greatest, sometimes an old refurbished box meets the requirements just as well :)

Having said that I wouldn't swap my U9-H for his X5 ;)
    midnight and Villa like this.