1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Any available Screensaver Daydream app?

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by Karthik, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Karthik

Karthik Member

Anyone using screensaver daydream app?
    Lucid Daydream is not working in X8-H as there are no daydream under display settings
    Screensaver is working in XBMC app. But I want a Daydream app to scroll random pictures without using XBMC
    I use stock android version and will not load beta at any cost.
  2. schatz

schatz New Member

Hi Karthik, I asked this question on freaktab a week or so ago and got an answer which worked unfortunately I am not allowed to paste links because I only have one post so far and no likes. If you type ""Daydream" with 002 beta 7 + finless tweaks" into google the first link is the post I refer to.

Here are the instructions from that post, thanks to cuezaireekaa

"I use nova launcher to accomplish this. once installed, on your desktop, long press and add a shortcut//Then select settings//then select daydream.
    It will add it to the homepage and you don't have to use nova if you don't want to as your launcher, but you will have to use it momentarily to select your shortcut and configure daydream..

Enjoy. I love using daydream as my screensaver with the likes of 500Firepaper, and Galactic Core which is an amazing galaxies screensaver

Make sure you enable screensaver within Mbox settings."

I think it should work ok without any beta rom. I am interested to hear any good daydream apps you find. I would like to find one that shows interesting news and data to make the most of a large 1080p LED display :)
    Dnerve likes this.
  3. Dnerve

Dnerve Active Member

4. Dnerve

Dnerve Active Member

5. Dnerve

Dnerve Active Member

But it works with smart launcher I'm using too! Just did it now.

Thanks for this Galactic Cores absolutely amazing!
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. Karthik

Karthik Member

Thanks Guys...
    I started using XBMC screesaver. It is more convenient and avoid addition of more apps...
  7. Harry Coin

Harry Coin New Member

I can't believe how almost impossible Minix makes it is to install any screensaver other than the stock kitty photos, and then how even super-much harder it is to find one that just displays pictures from ANY kind of remote storage, smb, nfs, Upnp/dlna. BUT .... I found it, with a little help from the above thread.
    FIRST: download and install the free Lucid Daydream. The only reason for installing this is to overcome the lack of a screensaver control button in the settings. This creates a widget which when hit lets you adjust the screensaver. Not that the Lucid Daydream isn't nice, it just doesn't meet the offbox photo storage location requirement. After much searching I found Foto Frame. The free version lets you simply display smb shared photos. Perfect. The free version doesn't scan subfolders. I've been watching it now for half an hour or so and it's really good. There' s an option to let the user tweak the rotation or ban the redisplay of unwanted photos, and to mark favorites. Anyhow, it only took three days, but this obvious-every-android-outthere-except Minix-has-it feature is now doable. The paid version "Foto Frame Screensaver" walks the whole directory tree. So, there you go.
  8. Gerjandh

Gerjandh New Member

There actually is a way, without installing external apps. First, root your device to get writing-premissions. Then place your pictures in /system/media/screensaver/images and remove the originals if you want to. My pics are 1280x720. Works like a charm.
  9. Zoltan Horvath

Zoltan Horvath New Member

I did not get permission to write the image folder. Es File Explorer
  10. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Old thread but bit confused with this. Using Nova Launcher I select the Settings Shortcut and add Daydream. Is that all there is to it? Will DayDream just start when needed? Or do I have to click something? If I click the Daydream icon on screen it just takes me to the setting screen for Daydream, if it doesn't start automatically I'm not sure what I have to do to launch daydream, not it's settings.
  11. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Daydream is basically a screensaver. You set a time in the daydream settings and then when your box is idle, after the set time the screensaver activates.
    Cyberman likes this.
  12. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Cheers. So, if for instance, I've configured it in Minix Metro settings (which I can't at the moment because that single setting keeps telling me 'Unfortunately Settings Has Stopped') and then switch to Nova Launcher, it will come on after the same interval, regardless of Launchers in use? I'm figuring it would as a Launcher is merely a skin (albeit some have their own tricks) over what the device is doing.
  13. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Yes, android settings is the same settings regardless of what launcher you use.
    Cyberman likes this.