1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to play Netflix in 1080p?

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Shasoosh, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Shasoosh

Shasoosh Member

The app I own only plays in SD. Does playing Netflix from Chrome on my Minix will play movies in HD?

Thanks

2. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

I believe the max you'll get is 720p with 5.3.1 .....

3. Shasoosh

Shasoosh Member

Thanks for the reply. From what I'm seeing it seems like I'm getting SD only. I might be wrong but I couldn't find a way to view Netflix stats on my minix. Any key combo I tried that works on windows \ android didn't work for me. (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+D etc')

Is any one aware of a way to see netflix stats on the minix?

Another question, 1080p netflix from chrome -How netflix can block this? Can't I just spoof the browser user agent to something like Windows to get 1080p?

4. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Probably could edit the build.prop like this...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/android-tv-on-the-minix-u9-h.16908/page-11#post-145050

5. Shasoosh

Shasoosh Member

Thanks. I'll guess that i'll dive deeper eventually. No one else tried this on the U1 ?

6. Shasoosh

Shasoosh Member

After some investigation, the max resolution I can get in Netflix is 720x480
    I guess there's no way around this, I'll have to replace it with something else that supports Netflix better.

7. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

My family uses Netflix a lot but please remember it's not Minix that doesn't support Netflix but the opposite. Minix as well as other brands are in the same boat.... unless you are " Google Certified " Netflix really has no interest in you :( To me that's unfair ! Netflix as well as some other Apps are trying to force you to use certain brands of hardware ! My $ 10.99/ month is the same as my neighbors who might just be choosing to use a" Certified " device for his reasons. We pay the same amount so I should be able to choose my brand for my reasons and receive all the features he does o_O
    I may be wrong but that's how I see it :).....I'm sure it has to do $$

gymnos, konky, Villa and 2 others like this.
  8. wasyl00

wasyl00 New Member

9. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

The Minimum for even 720p Netflix with any Android device is:

- Widevine L1 DRM
    - HDCP 1.x

Without those you cannot even fake Netflix box approval and Google certifications.

The MINIX U9-H has those copy protection mechanisms baked into Firmware which is why it is listed as 720/1080p Android TV Netflix possible,

David03 likes this.