1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

ARES Wizard - Maintenance Tool

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by Villa, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

2. rosebud

rosebud Member

I chose an SMB destination for the ARES backup, full backup and it does not backup anything, nothing happens for me?
  3. Villa

Didn't work for me either!
  4. rosebud

rosebud Member

I would appreciate a recommendation for a reliable Kodi backup/restore method.
  5. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

I used to have Ares and Kodi Backup. Each failed to be used everytime the addon was not available.

For Android boxes:

Deleting the following (for Kodi):
    - folder "Thumbnails" that is @Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata
    - file "Textures13.db" that is @Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/database
    and then saving the folder "org.xbmc.kodi" in the safe location leaves you with the perfect slim backup. Thumbnails will be automatically restored if you copy the folder back to original place when backing up, so you lose nothing when using it back.

Deleting the following (for Minix Xbmc):
    - folder "Thumbnails" that is inside @Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata
    - file "Textures13.db" that is inside @Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.minix/userdata/database
    and then saving the folder "hk.minix.xbmc" in the safe location leaves you with the perfect slim backup. Thumbnails will be automatically restored if you copy the folder back to original place when backing up, so you lose nothing when using it back.

I realised that even the backup sizes had nothing to gain with the addons compared to this method and this is far more reliable as you don't need to install the addon inside a fresh kodi before restoring back the app.
  6. Villa

7. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

8. rosebud

rosebud Member

Thanks everyone but I have a "backup problem" and to this day have not been able to make a backup.

Using the backup addon I get a backup error, though each time I have a network location chosen. Also, Indigo gives an error and says to look at the error log which to me is chinese.

So I was hoping Ares would work and it does not. Have no idea what I am doing wrong or need to change.
  9. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

and it was fixed by the author almost immediately
    the official kodi backup addon remains one of the most reliable and maintained and so simple to use
    Villa likes this.
  10. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

Well, I just tried to activate it in Minix Xbmc to no avail, so far... once again.
  11. rosebud

rosebud Member

The official kodi backup addon has not worked for me ever, gives backup error on Jarvis 16.1. What could possibly be wrong?
  12. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

It seems a solution is about to be found for 16.* users after all these many days it has been broken, as announced at kodi forum. As @Frederick_99 mentioned, they maintain it. You just wait. If you can... :)
  13. rosebud

rosebud Member

Thanks CybeRider, I have had it all along and now know it has been everyone. Can you post a link to the kodi forum for this? Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  14. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

15. Richard L Cooper

Richard L Cooper New Member

I use Ares as backup I back up to download section in internal storage then I transfer to to USB stick. You can also send the zip to another box using send anywhere app which is in play store