1. Official MINIX forum

Arte.tv no longer plays on XMBC

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by CINEFILIUS, Mar 13, 2017.

1. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

I believe that this started when I updated Android. It is now at Version 5.1.1.
    Other Video add-ons like Euronews, play well.
    XBMC not changed. It is at version 16.3-0 Git 2016-04 Compiled Jun 4 16.
    An Error message appears "Check the log". When I do it is empty.
  2. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

3. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

I installed your suggested version.
    There is no change. Arte tv does not play. There is a little difference, though. It displays "Working" , spends some time ad displays "Arte.Tv Error" on the right lower corner. Only the first time you attempt to play it. After it displays the "Ckeck Log" and there is nothing there.
    I have Uninstalled Arte.Tv ans reinstalled it. NO CHANGE. Please reproduce the problema in your own computer.
    Thank you.
  4. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Try to clear XMBC cache in applications settings.
  5. dryster

dryster Active Member

Have you contacted the people who make the addon?
  6. dryster

dryster Active Member

It would make for a much more civil environment if members understood that MINIX (the company) and this MINIX Forum, a great group of guys who genuinely help, are not responsible for third party XBMC/KODI addons. In the same theme, KODI themselves are not responsible for third party addons, even those that are listed on their website as "acceptable" or "approved" for use with the official version of KODI. It is my understanding that the latest MINIX version of XBMC is a trailing version of the latest KODI that has been modified for the MINIX box and may have bug fixes and tweaks useful for the current crop of boxes and may be more stable, however, the option to install the latest version of KODI from the website, is an option for all of us. If an addon does not work, contact the people who created the addon or post a message on the KODI forums, if the addon is approved.
    skynet and Snakebite like this.
  7. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

Please stop teaching me morals. I worked with Mainframe Software for over 20 years. I bought the MINIX player to see movies. The old software MINIX XBMC did that well. And also played Arte.tv concerts.
    Now you tell me that MINIX is not responsible. They did nothing. Open software is crap. Nobody is responsible. I hope the CIA finds that you are a
    "communist" and deports you to Guantanamo bay.
  8. dryster

dryster Active Member

@CINEFILIUS it does not matter to any of us how old you are, where you worked or how rude you are, you fail to see that arte.tv is an addon for Kodi and the problem is with the addon, not KODI, not MINIX. If you think that the old software MINIX XBMC is the solution, why not install it?
  9. dryster

dryster Active Member

I just did a little bit of work.

Unit considered : intel NUC i3 running Windows 8.1 and KODI 16.1
    Addon Considered : arte.tv : version 2.1.10 which is reported as latest in Kodi database
    Addon was added to KODI 16.1
    Addon does not work, attempting to run anything results in an error and a "check log" message.

There you go, arte.tv does not work on a PC either. Nothing to do with MINIX.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

I just did a little bit more work.

Unit considered : intel NUC i3 running Windows 8.1 and KODI 16.1
    Addon Considered : Arte +7 : version 0.5.4
    Addon was added to KODI 16.1
    Addon works
  11. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

As I told you, I did. But I just tested the Arte.TV problem.
    Now This version, cannot play Dolby digital Movies sound correctly. You , I mean MINIX, release software without testing it. Worse, you apply bugs
    previously solved. Believe me a software company must work like an Army. Steve Jobs knew that and That is what ensures Apple's success, after his death.
    Android is a trick devised by Google in order to have many people working for them for a zero salary. It is not an OS. it is a mobile phone controller.
    Stop giving advice at all. I worked for Burroughs/UNISYS for 31 years and left them in 1996 because a saw them collapsing.
    Android will soon colapse . To many cooks making a simple soup...
  12. mark2

mark2 Active Member

I suggest you do the same disgusting on an open forum
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  13. dryster

dryster Active Member

Water off a ducks back Mate.

If I run KODI 16.1 Git:2016-04-24-c327c53 on my NEO X8-H Plus and install the arte.tv addon, it comes up with an error and check log notice, if I check the log and go to the relevant section of the file, there are exceptions whenever I triggered an arte.tv request and that error is a HTTP 404 : Not found error which means that the addon itself is coded with incorrect web addressing and looking in the KODI database it's the last updated version of arte.tv so more than likely the original author has gone on to new things.
  14. dryster

dryster Active Member

Just checked, arte.tv works fine on my NEO X8-H Plus full screen through the stock browser, and as a secondary note, content is geoblocked in certain regions.
  15. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Please note CINEFILIUS has been warned about using inappropriate language and personal attacks. We do not tolerate that sort of behaviour on the forum.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/forum-rules.47/
    mark2, skynet and Villa like this.
  16. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

@CINEFILUS: your vast experience in the mainstream software industry would help you, I hope, to use some stupid web search engines to find out what is happening with 3rd party XBMC/Kodi add-ons developed by private software enthusiasts.
    I have not used this add-on for quite some time, but it didn't took me more than 10 minutes to find out that it's developer has stopped working on his add-on for quite some good time also.
    I see that @dryster spent his time to help you, while you keep attacking; hm, totally unprofessional for someone that claim has been working within SW industry for so many years.
    I don't believe though, that you have been teach during your 31 years activity to use such an aggressive wording, without even a minimal understanding of an ecosystem you want to use.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
    Villa likes this.
  17. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

Sir
    Thank you for your constructive remarks, your information about the developer of Arte and your reference to the Help of Mr. Dryster to whom I will reply ASAP in a few minutes.
    As for the agressivity it is under control. I use it like a War battle commander. Without it many people do not react at all.
    My apologies if you felt indicted.
    Many thanks
    adi_tca likes this.
  18. CINEFILIUS

CINEFILIUS New Member

Mr Dryster
    First of all , please APOLOGIZE for the remarks I made to you in reply to your 1st message on this topic..
    Next, a BIG THANK YOU for all you efforts trying to determine the culprit piece of software. NOBODY ELSE did such work.
    Next your last message that I cannot find in the forum and therefore reproduce:
    "it does not matter to any of us how old you are, where you worked or how rude you are, you fail to see that arte.tv is an addon for Kodi and the problem is with the addon, not KODI, not MINIX. If you think that the old software MINIX XBMC is the solution, why not install it?
    "
    It was what I thought to do yesterday, and, by the way, I always did in my professional life, go back to the previous version that worked. Due to various affairs I could not do it Yesterday. I did it two hours ago and the X25 movies work again fine. As for the add-on the list of installed add-ons was cleaned. I installed Arte.tv which does not work and I don't care. I bought this kit to watch X25 movies and in the beginning I had many problems due to my ignorance of Android, which I dislike.
    It does matter how rude I am as it matters to a Field military commander in battle. Provided it is controlled. I believe that it was, because it was addressed
    to the gentleman that told me to install bad software. And that software is released by MINIX, that does not test it, and asks te users to do so. That person suggested a newer version again yesterday. And I will not bother to reply. Software must not be treated as a subset of ladies fashions.
    As for the moderator I will keep my mouth shut. He knows what I told him. If he publishes it, you will know.
    MANY THANKS AND KIND REGARDS
  19. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

Sir, you are welcome.
    It's always a matter of "yelling" at the right "address" to get proper results and especially when you need them ...:)

I don't know what is X25 movies, but if it's a Kodi add-on, you have to be aware that it will work as long as its developer will maintain it not only during the time, but also for several Kodi SW releases.

Android may not be the best media player OS yet (on top of such HW boxes), but it's on the right track, I would say.

Good luck and come back with questions, we will try to help each other here.. just find the best way to address them.
  20. dryster

dryster Active Member

I argued/discussed with my son way back in 2010 that Android devices were so fragmented that the operating system besides a phone OS would have an uphill struggle, I still think that, but I also acknowledge that a lot of what has hobbled the windows operating system over the decades is the expectation that legacy devices would be supported and that led to the bloated mess that Microsoft call their jewel in the crown.

Of course so called "legacy" devices back in 1990 cost five grand or more, in fact, pick a number higher than that. I think we expected the operating system to support our investment...

Nowadays, we should perhaps be happy for a two hundred dollar box to last two years before being obsolete according to the chip maker and the software people. I'm like a few people here on the forums who love to use older boxes well past their sell by dates and Mcgyvering ways to keep them ticking along.

It's been an interesting thread and I've learnt a bit, that's what matters.