1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Audio cut outs

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by Nathancs, May 11, 2015.

1. KodiDude

KodiDude Member

Thanks Ken ... will give it a go. Cheers :)
  2. nlflux

nlflux New Member

I am having the same issue, been trying to troubleshoot it for 5 hrs straight. If clearing the cache might fix it i might give it a go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. nlflux

nlflux New Member

Updating to the nightly build 25feb kodi 17, instantly started working without any audio loss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  4. Leo83

Leo83 Member

Problem is as mentioned before they the audio cuts don't just happen in Kodi. They happen on YouTube as well and any other app that transmit any outgoing sound

Sent from my NX507J using Tapatalk
  5. Healer

Healer Member

My x8h+ was working fine with no cuts after I updated las firmware with pc from scratch but now it started again.
    Cleared the cache as mentioned in previous posts but didn't solve the problem :(
  6. shoestring

shoestring New Member

I have owned my Minix X8 for about two years now. The first year everything worked great I was very happy. The second-year
    not so much.
    The sound issue is driving me crazy. Over the last year I've put countless hours into trying to resolve this issue. I'm not an
    electrical engineer, I am just the average Joe trying to get this thing to work. I will spend six or eight hours working on it, to the
    point of total frustration, and then just go plug the thing back in and live with it. Reading the forms, I am sure I am not the only
    one doing this. I have repeated this process several times in the past and here I sit again today. I tried the clear cache thing today.
    No improvement.
    Will do a fresh, from scratch, reload from the PC again today and hope for the best I guess.
    In my mind this is clearly an issue Minix needs to address because the audio source does not matter. Kodi, Servio, SPMC,
    YouTube all have the exact same issue.
    Back in the FTA days people who had a good working box would post pictures of their settings pages. This was a great resource
    for everyone but especially newbies. Sometimes people will change a setting without knowing all the ramifications. I could see it
    being useful here to. Just a thought.

Will check in later with my results
    Have a great day
  7. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/audio-cut-outs.5823/page-5#post-88622
    in this thread !
  8. gjs999

gjs999 Active Member

You could try the following - this worked for me but still have the occasional audio cut out in kodi but I haven't cleared the cache yet but other apps work fine -- using the pc flash method install v2a firmware , factory reset . Then install latest firmware , factory reset . I wish Minix would comment on this issue so users with this problem know what to try - I have a basic setup - minix unit connected directly to the tv via hdmi and those audio cutouts drove me crazy and spoilt the minix experience .
  9. shoestring

shoestring New Member

Got my box working right finally. In the end I simply loaded the latest firmware,008, using the USB burning tool. I had already done this several times in the past. I then went in and removed all the bloatware that comes with the firmware. I then went and installed the latest up-to-date apps that I use such as Kodi 16, YouTube and media house ect. All apps loaded and worked without issue. My X-8 is now working without any issues and actually seems to be a little quicker for some reason.
    I had a hard time getting the USB burning tool to recognize my Minix and actually thought I had bricked it at one point. It came very close to being hammer time about then.lol.
    I would say thank you to all the members posting here.
    Have a nice day
    Shoestring
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

What we are sure about is that the firmware itself has no problem,
    including those "bloatware" that you are referring to <-- May I know which apps are you exactly describing as "bloatware"?
  11. mrdude

mrdude New Member

@ken,

The Bloatware is all the crap that Minix installs on your box automatically after a system reset - all the crap that is not wanted or needed. I removed all that crap from my box as well and it was more responsive and the sound issues disappeared.

That proves to me that the Hardware is OK as (I always knew) and that there was a software issue causing this problem, either one of those Bloatware apps does something to break the sound or the box gets slowed down that much by it - that it causes issues.
  12. gjs999

gjs999 Active Member

Mr Dude -- please can you explain what / and how you removed the "bloatware" as it might help others with the audio cut out issue. Thx
  13. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member

From the Android Apps screen, highlight any app, press the menu key and select "Manage apps" from the pop-up menu. On the subsequent App screen scroll sideways to the "All" tab and then scroll down to the app you feel you don't need and wish to uninstall. Press OK on your remote and then on the next screen select Uninstall. Note that some of the apps can't be uninstalled but merely either disabled or temporarily force stopped. Be careful which apps you choose to uninstall or disable as you could mess up your system and be forced to carry out a hard reset or fresh install!!!
  14. shoestring

shoestring New Member

My sound issues are back. I do a fresh install from PC with latest firmware and it works good for several days. Then I will notice the odd audio cutout. Another week goes by and the cutouts get more frequent. Two more weeks go by and the cutouts are so often it drives you crazy. And here we sit again today to do another fresh install from PC. Reading the forms here today there does not seem to be a solution to this issue yet so around the block we go again.
    I am starting to think this must be a hardware issue since if it was a software issue someone would've solved it by now.
  15. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Just thinking here.... are you logged into the playstore? could be that the notifications from app updates, recieved email etc could make this happen as it used the audio system to notify you. if so.. can you log out the google account and see if this happens again?
    Also disable any apps in the background that might use the audio system in any way..
    just thinking out loud...
  16. shoestring

shoestring New Member

I will give this a try to see if it makes any difference. Last night if you went 30 seconds without a cutout you were lucky.
    Can't seem to find a link to firmware 002. Is there any chance you could point this out to me. Thank you

*** I found the link*** just not awake yet I guess
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. Gooner05

Gooner05 New Member

I've had a X8 h since the very begining so a couple of years now, i'm having to do a fresh install of the firmware every couple of months for the reasons you mentioned, use x8h alot as a mp3 player through kodi as i have a 2tb external hard drive connected, i've done the suggestion on here over the last couple of years yet the only thing that fixes it in the short is a complete re flash of the firmware, it is frustrating but i've just learned to live with it :(
  18. shoestring

shoestring New Member

It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since my last fresh install. Usually by this time I would be noticing several audio cutouts per program irregardless of its source. For the past 2 1/2 weeks the system has worked flawlessly. I have not noticed a single hiccup, glitch or audio cutout. It looks very promising that I may have found the solution to my audio cutout problem.
    What I did was a clean fresh install from PC but I loaded FW002a.
    If I go another week without audio cutouts I'm going to call my problem fixed. (y)
    Gooner05 likes this.
  19. max80

max80 Member

I "solved" the problem in this way too, but the point is that I must keep a 2 years old fw and cannot take advantage of the succeeding firmware updates. (some of those required by some app I should install on the device). My only hope now is that Minix will release a new fw based on Lollipop so that the general performance and stability of the box can improve.
    Gooner05 likes this.
  20. shoestring

shoestring New Member

Just an update here. I am still running glitch free on FW 002a. I have yet to loaded an app that does not run properly. This may be due to more good luck than good management but I'll take it. LOL
    Gooner05 likes this.