1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Before proceeding to upgrade to 002 firmware... PLEASE READ THIS!

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 002 firmware' started by MINIX - Ken, Dec 25, 2014.

1. keano

keano New Member

2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

You need to use Windows 7 or 8!

Or you can use this method without a PC...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-use-the-usb-zip-update-method-x6-x8-series.6828/

Download the zip package from here...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-x8-h-plus-007-firmware-20150831.7420/#post-66463

When you have done this you will have the latest firmware version 007.
  3. keano

keano New Member

Thanks guys will try that later then....

Villa - I thought that I would need to update periodically ie.... 002 then 003 then 004...am I reading this wrong?
  4. Villa

You can go to any firmware you want if you flash your device or use the USB zip package method.
    If your device had FOTA capability then you would have a choice of updating via FOTA sequentially or to flash direct to the firmware version of your choice.
    FOTA updates keep user installed apps and data intact whereas a firmware flash will give you a clean device.
    As you are trying to flash this old firmware version and are going to lose all user installed apps and data you may aswell go direct to the latest firmware.

As you have been trying to flash your device using Windows 10, I would suggest you try the method I posted above.
  5. keano

keano New Member

6. Villa

Yes that should be ok!
  7. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Hi @Villa ,

is it confirmed that you cant usb flash using windows 10

if so do you know if a flash tool that will work with win 10 is in the pipeline, especially as many will now have updated to 10

cheers
  8. Villa

I haven't heard off anyone that has had any success, only errors!

I have no idea!

I would expect/hope so!
  9. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

i was thinking of giving it a bash on my win 10 laptop with only usb 3 ports but not expecting success but now i'm not so sure :unsure:
  10. justinporebski

justinporebski New Member

Is there any support for flashing tool for USB 3.0? I have an HP ProBook640 G1 which has all USB 3.0 ports. Apparently Minix won't support their product if it was purchased overseas. Found this quite irritating since I cannot get USB Burning Tool v2.0.4.3 to recognize my NEO X8-H Plus. I have made sure that the divers were installed during the Burning Tool's installation, and that I am using the original OTG cable. I want to get the device up to the latest firmware, but can't install 002 since my build date is before 20141122...otherwise I'd use USB and the Update app. Any help on this from anyone who has run into the same problem?
  11. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Have you tried a usb hub? or if all else fails, borrow a pc with usb2.0 ports.
  12. justinporebski

I have not yet. But that is my next step. 2 questions:
    - Do you have to have the image loaded in the Burning Tool before you connect the Minix to OTG?
    - What would happen if I ran the update through USB with the .ZIP file via the Upgrade app?
  13. Higgs

1 I don't think so, you should see the minix connected regardless of whether the firmware image is loaded.
    2 I think with builds before 20141122, there was an issue with booting into recovery, so you'll probably find that the device reboots but doesn't go into recovery mode.
  14. justinporebski

OK. That's not fantastic news. Hopefully my issue is not its ability to boot into recovery. I have not had it attached to its display during my process, so I have not seen if it was booting into recovery. If the issue is that it won't boot into recovery...is there any way to remedy that or am I SOL?
  15. Higgs

Note: the issue with booting into recovery only applies to the usb update.zip method. It doesn't affect flashing using a PC. (Hence for firmwares older then 20141122 you must use the pc method.)
  16. justinporebski

Ok, thank you. :) What else can I do if I cannot boot into recovery?
  17. Higgs

With firmware older than 20141122 your only option to update is to use the usb burning tool on a PC.
  18. justinporebski

OK. Thank you for the help. Hopefully I am able to flash the .img over, and that my issue is due me using USB 3.0.
  19. Villa

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned to you and I don't know if you are aware but when you manage to find a PC that you can use you can flash the latest FW 007. There is no need to flash FW 002.

Flash the firmware using the usb burning tool on a PC

Also there is a minor FW update about to be available...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/bugtracker-official-x8-h-plus-007-fw.7424/page-6#post-69318
  20. justinporebski

AHHH!!! Thank you Villa! No that had not been mentioned...but I also did not ask that. ;) I have found a USB 2.0 hub, so I am going to try that. If not then I shall try it on a workstation with 2.0 ports. It was also brought to my attention that I perhaps may be be able to drop the speed of my 3.0 ports to 2.0 through BIOS...but that will be a last resort, and have no idea if that is even possible. Thank you!