1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Boot to something besides the hard drive

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by Wallym, May 26, 2017.

1. Wallym

Wallym New Member

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my minix after borking a previous update. Right now, no matter what setting I put into the bios, it always wants to boot from the hard disk where Windows is currently installed. I have tried to boot from the DVD I have for Windows 10. I have tried to boot from the USB drive I have of Windows 10. I have made the boot priority setting to be my USB DVD drive in the bios, but it will never boot from it. I have made the boot priority setting to be my USB drive in the bios, but it will never boot from it. I am clearly missing something in the setup of all of this. Can someone shed some light in this?

Thanks.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I think you can press F11 to access Boot Menu (I don't currently have access to the device to check). Try that!
  3. Wallym

Wallym New Member

I tried F11. The options I had specified came up, but when I selected the USB stick, it still booted from the hard drive. I tried the USB DVD drive, and it still booted from the hard drive. So, no love. Any other ideas?

I had previously installed Windows 10 64 bit by mistake. I can't imagine that this is causing the problem, but I thought I would include it.

I see that other people are having a similar problem through the forums, but I don't see how to stop this. Somehow, the system is booting to the hard drive no matter what is setup in the bios. I am thinking that this has something to do with a bios setting somewhere, but danged if I can find it.
  4. Villa

Are you sure the USB stick and the DVD are bootable?
    How have you created the installation media?
  5. Wallym

Wallym New Member

One more thing, and this could be my fault. When I reinstalled Windows10, I also reformatted the various partitions and removed them. I was getting some errors trying to setup Windows10. I've done this in the past with other systems with no problem. I 'm not sure if this is part of the issue or not.
  6. Wallym

Wallym New Member

I was wondering similar. I think that they are all correctly created though.

I created the usb stick by taking a usb thumb drive, downloading Windows10 with the microsoft tool to createa bootable usb drive and running it per the instructions in it.

The dvd disk was created by taking a windows10 iso file and using my laptop windows10 to create a bootable windows10 dvd in my dvd drive.
    Villa likes this.
  7. Villa

Try a different USB stick.
  8. Wallym

Wallym New Member

I went out and bought a new usb stick. downloaded a new iso from msft. Same issue, still won't boot. I had created the usb disk with rufus. Any other suggestions?
  9. Wallym

Wallym New Member

I also have tried to disable the hard disk in the bios. The system still boots to the hard disk and windows.
  10. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Have you tried a different USB port
  11. Wallym

Wallym New Member

Yes, I have tried them all.