1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

BSOD when I try to update Intel HD Graphics driver

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by jehro, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jehro

jehro New Member

Hello,

I just bought a Z83-4. The experience is really good until now, but I think I have a problem of display driver.

Today, the system crashed and restarted. I didn't see it but it was written in the Windows System Event Logs.

Also, I would like to put the system into sleep mode, but Windows refuses to enter in sleep mode (I know shutdown is a kind of sleep, and there is no problem to shutdown, just to sleep). When I click in Start menu "Sleep", nothing happens.

I read that an obsolete display driver can be the culprit. So I tried to update it.

Thanks to an another thread on this forum, I launch this driver installation:
    Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-8-1-for-Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1A32SC
    (version 15.40.12.4 474, 7/25/2016). I cannot post any link, so...

But during the Setup.exe, a blue screen appears with this message:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.[...]
    Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Does anyone know how can I find the root cause, and how can I be sure that the display driver is up to date ?

Thanks a lot
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

you can't use setup to upgrade, because that driver is not for your device.
    you need to upgrade manually by pointing to the folder you extracted the package.
  3. jehro

jehro New Member

Same result (see image) when I try to update it from the Device Manager, Display adapter, update driver, browse, pointing on the folder "/GFX_Win10_64_15.40.12.4474/Graphics".

In the meantime, I understood the issue with Sleep mode: it seems it is not supported. I needed to deactivate the Standby Connect mode, but even after that, "powercfg /a" shows that sleep mode is not supported. It is not a big deal, if I can keep the computer awake continuously.

For the record, I hoped it supports sleep mode, so I could define scheduled events to wake it up.

I don't know if the display driver is a problem now. I thought the computer crashed while it only was in standby connect mode.

I will let you know if I confirm a display driver problem.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. MINIX - Ken

hi,

is your Windows the most updated?
    and for Z83-4, sleep = screen off, power off = deep sleep
    it's a tablet-oriented CPU and is designed that way,
    imagine how things work on a tablet,
    then you should know what I am talking about.
  5. MINIX - Ken

if you keep having problem of graphics driver,
    contact me by private message,
    I'll just send you the version that we shipped with the products.

thanks.
  6. jehro

jehro New Member

Thanks for your responses, I have no more problem now.

To answer your questions:
    - my Windows is up to date (as far as I know thanks to Windows Update).
    - I learned that for Z83-4, sleep=screen off. In fact, Windows calls that mode Standby Connect. It's more than just screen off because network apps have quotas and cannot function in real time like a server. Because I use the computer like a mini server (with very little activity), I cannot afford to use Standby Connect mode. So I disabled it. My first message probably was not very clear. It's not well documented but Standby Connect mode can be disabled in Windows Registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled = 0). I hoped that after disabling it, "normal sleep" mode would be supported but my impression is that it is not entirely supported even so: I cannot put the Z84-3 into sleep mode via Start menu. But surprisingly, if no activity is detected during 2 hours (default delay in control panel/power control), the computer enters in "normal sleep" mode.

So I continue testing how Windows behaves. I hope I can wake it up from sleep with Event Scheduler. If not, I will have to disable entirely sleep mode (other than power off = deep sleep). Sleep would be useful for a selection of time periods.

I hope my explanations are clearer and sorry for my bad english :).