1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Buffering HD movies on kodi tv

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by otchill, Feb 25, 2015.

1. otchill

otchill Member

Hi Guys,

I am using kodi tv with my x7 device. My ROM is X7 Kitkat v2.2.0 CE.

While i am watching any movies or TV shows on kodi tv as SD format, i dindt see any buffering issue due to my advance setting arrangement. But when i try to watch HD format (it means 720P), i come across buffering problem.

My internet is 25Mbps fiber. I connect to X7 device using cable.

I dont think that problem is regarding to internet connection.

Do you have any idea to solve this issue? Only way is to revise advance setting file or using different add-on?

Thanks in advance your feedback..
  2. adrian

adrian Member

try another source .. just because YOUR internet speed is ok doesn't mean the speed of the source your getting from at the time is ok for a number of reasons
  3. otchill

otchill Member

I tried to use many another source, it didnt work.

Last night i revised advancesetting file, i increased chachsize from 100 Mgb to 500 Mgb. According to internet, i can use 1/3 of ram in order to cache on kodi tv. as far as i know that ram is 2 Gb for x7, therefore i wrote 500 Mgb.

It worked and solved issue, But i am not sure to use 500 Mgb for cache size suitable or not.
  4. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

500 seems a bit high. Don't forget other apps/processes will be using ram as well. If there isn't enough RAM available to buffer then Kodi could crash. I would try with a lower number first - 200
  5. otchill

otchill Member

Thanks your feedback higgs, but while i am watching kodi, i dont need to use other app. Is it right comment to use 1/3 RAM for kodi??

Thanks again
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Just because you are not using other apps does not mean that they are not using ram (in the background). If you use 1/3 of the total ram you'll probably find that it will crash Kodi.
    Download a task manager app like Advanced Task Killer and you will see how much available ram you usually have. I would still stay on the lower side of 1/3 of this, 200MB should be plenty for the buffer cache.
  7. otchill

otchill Member

Thanks your advice...i will use 200MB..
  8. If you don't change the read buffer settings the cache will not reach 500 mb any time soon: Streams seldom exceed 5 Mbps you if you want to use all your bandwidth you need to set read buffer to more than 1 to fill it quickly. Generally the formula is (bandwidth allocated - stream bandwidth) stream bandwidth = read buffer factor. Say you have 25 and want to leave 5 for other things and your he stream is 5 you have 20-5=15/5=3
    Set read buffer to 3 or the cache won't fill. In terms of big the cache with 20 Mb you have 4 seconds with 100 Mb 20 seconds. Generally 10 seconds is enough to manage a connection blip so 50 Mb is plenty
  9. otchill

otchill Member

thanks for your feedback..

Only i want to watch HD movie without any buffering.. According to your advice, i should revise read buffer value from 1 to 3. Am i right?

After your confirmation, i will revise and give you feedback regarding to result.

thanks again
  10. Yes change it to 3 and set buffer 50 as a starter. If you haven disconnection you may want to increase it to 100
  11. otchill

otchill Member

thanks again your feedback..

Tonight i will try and give you feedback. Also i will write my advanced setting file information.
  12. otchill

otchill Member

my advancedsettings;

advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <autodetectpingtime>30</autodetectpingtime> <!-- Time (in seconds) between pings for detecting new xboxes. Default 30, minimum 1, maximum 240 -->
    <curlclienttimeout>60</curlclienttimeout> <!-- Timeout (in seconds) for player and other connections. Default 10, minimum 1, maximum 1000 -->
    <curllowspeedtime>60</curllowspeedtime> <!-- Time (in seconds) the http client should wait before judging a connection as low. Default 20, minimum 1, maximum 1000 -->
    <curlretries>2</curlretries> <!-- Number of times the http client retries. Default 2, minimum 0, maximum 10 -->
    <disableipv6>true</disableipv6> <!-- Disables ipv6. Default false -->
    <cachemembuffersize>209715200</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Size of the player cache in bytes. Default 20M (20*1024*1024), if 0 it uses a SimpleFileCache. -->
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

what do you think? in my file, there isnt any readfactor or buffer value.

If you paste any advancedsetting file in order to watch HD movies without buffering, i would be very appreciated...
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  13. You need to edit the file to add the sections. Most of your settings are irrelevant to the minix seem an old legacy.
  14. My cache is set to 100 MB and readbuffer factor 4. However I have noticed watching a 720p tv episode that the cache didn't exceed 52 MB. I think the applications also doesn't buffer more than a given number of seconds for the stream this number seems to be between 25 and 30 seconds. So for 720p streams it will not reach 100 MB anyway. However for 1080p it may do