1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Bugtracker for NEO U9-H FW005

Discussion in 'Official Firmwares' started by MINIX - Ken, Jun 26, 2017.

1. keanustar

keanustar Member

I tried using both Terminal Emulator and ADB from CMD on PC, but with no luck.
    I executed in both echo 0 > /sys/module/di/parameters/nr2_en and I get permission denied.

Could you or someone please post the exact command(s) I should put from when starting Terminal or ADB to get this to "=0", since I never used ADB until now. I would not want to wait until FW06 with the low video quality.

Thank you!
  2. Robyn

Robyn New Member

Unless FW06 is very close to be released I would also be interested in a little "tutorial" on how to set this thing with a virtual terminal :)
  3. Hi Ken,

2 problems already noticed on this forum and also confirmed by me.
    would like to be fixed also
    - short stuttering playback of videos (mkv)
    - UI screen went really small and only appear quarter of the screen

Friend of my got libreELEC with kodi and there in the Kodi program settings he can select a bigger resolution than full HD.
    Is there a reason why not on the kodi android version on minix ?

Any new when the release of FW006 is coming?

By the way the android screen settings, change and save works like a charm thanks for that adjustment (y)
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

5. changed my post, bad description of me ;) . already saw it on the forum. just confirmed the problems.
    The stuttering is worse now for me. only played with the screen settings full HD to 4k and back. Now more stuttering on video
  6. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

does the box have to be rooted to modify this? I'm assuming this as I'm also getting an access denied.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  7. keanustar

keanustar Member

Very "helpful" community. What can I say? Is it so hard to provide some user friendly instructions on how to turn off this noise reduction "feature"?
    It is very annoying and it makes every movie look low quality. I can barely stand watching something using the U9. Definitely the worst video quality Minix I ever bought and I also had X8 and U1. It passed half an year since its launch and it still cannot deliver what it is supposed to, meaning play clips better than the TV internal player as well as provide HDR 10bit without issues. "Good job!"
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

As we are turning it off for you guys, you don't really need to do it by yourself...
    It's a feature ON by default on all models we released, and we just turned it off upon the demands from you guys.
    After half a year we heard this request, it's not a bug anyway, we can turn it off anytime.

Friendly instructions - install adb tool on your PC, enable USB debugging on U9-H, enter that line of script I provided..., or, wait for our update (better)
    skynet likes this.
  9. MINIX - Ken

We have prepared FW005A this week, if testing goes smoothly then we shall release it next week.
  10. keanustar

keanustar Member

Half an year without doing what it should, being a 4K HDR player. I'm sorry I did not return the U9 when I still had the chance. Cannot belive the TV's player is way better at the moment.
    In regards to ADB, I did that and got permision denied. It was so hard to re-post the correct line to be inserted?
    So, at least another weekend when I will not use the U9 to watching movies or shows.
    It is not enough to have a support community, if the player itself is not so good. If it would had been, maybe these issues were easier to be fixed.
  11. Gertjan

Gertjan New Member

The permission denied error does not indicate that you are using the wrong command line. It indicates that the user you are logged on as is not permitted to execute the command.
    I am not an experienced Minix user, but knowing linux (and thus android) I would suggest to execute the command while logged on as root.
  12. keanustar

keanustar Member

I was thinking the same, but when asking if root is needed, the answer was no. So, yeah, I don't know what else to say.
  13. Gertjan

Gertjan New Member

Well, the original post of Kondor stating the commands had the following:
    su
    echo 0 > /sys/module/di/parameters/nr2_en

This strongly suggests you have to be root (see the su command before the echo). I am not in the position to test it myself, but I would just try it as root user.
  14. MINIX - Ken

That's only 1-2 major bugs to be fixed in FW006, I don't understand what you mean.
    HDR/Deep Color, fixed, noise reduction, off, what else?
    As I said, noise reduction is a feature, not a bug, you guys don't like it, we turn it off, very democratic?
  15. MINIX - Ken

We spent more time on this build because we are porting the whole HDR/Deep color mechanism back to 6.0 from 7.1,
    at the same time, we are preparing the 7.1 beta firmware for release soon.

Please kindly understand that we are working very hard to provide you guys better usage experience.
    JJ-KwiK, Cizzz, skynet and 2 others like this.
  16. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Thanks Ken,
    Take the time you need. This update sounds great
    A working Kodi with good framerates, good colors, good sharpness, good hdr switch is what we need :)

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk
    kingsizept likes this.
  17. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

What I don't understand is I have a working KODI with good framerate, good colors, good sharpness, good hdr switch. Maybe my TV is not as volatile (Samsung 65JS9500)?
    I do know that a crappy stream or bad video file can cause all sorts of issues. I don't think that would constitute a bug. I see many posters complaining about things that are not bugs, but rather user errors, due to poor configuration, certain country restrictions, bad video files, too many or incompatible apps installed, malfunctioning KODI addons eating memory and more. I do tend to keep a clean box, regularly update KODI addons and remove orphans, malfunctioning and obsolete addons.
    kingsizept likes this.
  18. nineteenth

nineteenth Member

As we have already found out here: http://www.minixforum.com/posts/137202 , people have different levels of perception of video quality. Sometimes they can not even see the obvious bugs.
    skynet likes this.
  19. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I would not call them obvious bugs but rather more pickiness. I see anomalies in movies all the time. But I realize it is the studio's fault. And those who see things, will also see them in almost every hi res news cast, recording, and movie on the big screen. It is a fact of life, in the new hi res world. I watch a lot of 4k movies and the mistakes in recording are unreal and constant. Kind of like bad makeup on news casters and actors. But IMHO these are not bug in any unit. If this was the case there should be a recall on every video unit manufactured in the last couple of years. You also have a lot of other contributing factors. Are the video and buffering settings correct? Was the video streamed across the internet or internal network? Does it look the same when copying it directly to the U9's internal memory? If so was the original video compressed in any way or was it left at the original quality and size. The same thing could be said for audio as well. The average uncompressed 1080p movie is over 7GB and up to 12GB. A blue ray is 20GB plus. For me to accurately test any video or audio for quality, I would start with uncompressed and have the file copied directly to the U9 box. I would never use an amateur or compressed video for testing. The audio and video will most likely have problems. There are many certified video files available for testing. I've used them and find no issues with playback on my U9. I've played direct and streamed compressed and uncompressed 1080p, 3d, 4k and 8k files.
  20. nineteenth

nineteenth Member

Not sure, what you wanted to say, but it is clear enough for me that you couldn't see the bug I reported and that is confirmed by Minix and will be fixed in the nearest future firmware. So, people have different perception of video quality and some of them can see the bugs but the others can't, some people can't live without AFR but the others can easily and so on.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017