1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Bugtracker for NEO U9-H FW005

Discussion in 'Official Firmwares' started by MINIX - Ken, Jun 26, 2017.

1. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

It's mainly because those kinds of boxes are used to play - downloaded- files...
    Good encoded files works fine, but it's not the case for everything.
    I want to say it's not always minix's fault, it not easy to play without issues so many kinds of movies, with so many bitrates, framerates, profiles, video codecs, audio codecs and so on...
    But you can be sure, those issues exist.
    I've a lot of files to test, and a lot of devices to compare.
    So I agree, no one have the same perception of quality. My wife doesn't have the perception of small stutters, but after testing so much movies, so much firmwares in so much devices, now I only see those damn stutters :(

Sent with my S7 edge
    kingsizept likes this.
  2. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

What I wanted to say is that just because some videos don't play correctly does not make it a bug.
    I saw all the anomalies but that doesn't make them bugs. And if it doesn't do it on all videos it very well could be the video. Maybe MINIX confirmed your bug, hoping they can modify the firmware to play crappy videos better, for the ones complaining. And yes some people have different perceptions of video quality. But video quality takes in a lot of variable. What TV or monitor you are using for starters. The playback devices, connections and most importantly the quality of the original video. I am an audio and videophile. I buy expensive electronics and only watch uncompressed when possible. So I know a thing or 2 about good vs. bad videos, because I see bad when streaming. Anything compressed is gonna suffer something.
    It's easy for us to point blame and call things a bug. But it's not always a bug. Some files are inferior to others. Some files have bad decoding and compression. These are not test files, but rather amateur attempts to modify a video so it takes up less space. We can't have it both ways. I just buy bigger and more hard drives for my collection, because all my personal saves are uncompressed, with the exception of 4k.
    Hopefully the fix (compromise) won't cause us to suffer some other quality, because some people want to have better streaming of inferior videos.
  3. skynet

Sure, but this box is mainly used for playing movies from files. If you can't read everything or mostly everything then it's not a bug but a lack of functionality . It's not a Blu-ray or a DVD player, we want more.
    Ken's team worked with a lot of people here on the forum to eradicate bugs and to add functionalities on U1 box. Now everything is working fine, all is smooth.
    With first firmwares we had a lot of issues when playing a h265 movie (stutters after a seek). We had the ghost effect issue too. Corrected.
    I'm sure next firmwares will transform the U9-h into a perfect box! :)

Sent with my S7 edge
    kingsizept likes this.
  4. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I totally agree with everything you said, except I feel the box and all other streaming media boxes are mainly used by people that install KODI and stream from parts unknown. Those files will usually be inferior in some way. And if they play poorly, it is not a bug in the system, but rather a video of poor quality.
    There is no way to make a perfect box that can take a poorly formatted video files or bad streams and make them look good. It's the same as amplifying an antenna. The original signal has to be good quality or the amplified signal will be just as bad.
    I know MINIX has always fixed as many bugs as possible, where it is the actual boxes that are buggy. But IMHO to ask them to fix the Android operating system or 3rd party apps is wrong. Being in the electronics business for a half century, I've seen finger pointing. And I've noticed it here over and over again. I'm not defending MINIX but rather the entire industry.
    My point I'm trying to make is, it's easy to say anything is a bug. But if some people are not experiencing that bug, then it's usually something else causing the problem that some other people are experiencing.
    For instance: fact certain Philips TVs have problems. Fact not all TV sets are created equal. Some of the cheap imports are slow with bad firmware. Fact bad cabling can cause all sorts of audio video problems. Fact a poor internet connection is going to wreak havoc on streaming. Fact a poorly configured or over-filled TV box can cause stuttering, lags, slowness, poor playback quality, freezing and lockups. So the big question is when is a bug really a bug. And for me, my U9 is half full, setup for plenty of buffering, going into a high quality AVR, then to a high quality TV, using high quality 4k certified high speed HDMI cables and I have a perfect box.(y):)
    kingsizept likes this.
  5. skynet

I agree with you too. A bad quality stream can't be played better than it can be. I spoke about movies files (Mkv, Xvid and so on). With new codecs you can have now a really good quality. We don't ask to improve quality but to play them smoothly, with good sounds and correct colors and sharpness and without stutters. Of course we never expect the box to improve badly encoded streams.
    If we play SD files on a 4k TV we know the PQ will be horrible, with 2x2m pixels :)
    We don't want magic, we want the files to be played fine whatever the source. The same for the streams and sounds of course.
    And yes, it's not really a bug but we ask those functionalities.
    After all, this box offers some functionalities, does it?
    ;)

Sent with my S7 edge
    kingsizept and keanustar like this.
  6. Clemery76

Clemery76 New Member

So, when the same video files that play perfectly on a WDTV Live (as well as my BD player and other media players) look soft, artefacty and suffers from noticeable ghosting on the Minix U9-H (through Kodi, MXPlayer, MoviePlayer)... wouldn't that indicate the 'issue' is with the Minix, not the video file?
    I am new to this forum, and have come here because I recently bought a Minix, and my first, second and third impressions have been that the video playback quality is horrendous on my TV, while other devices have no such problems. It was in this very thread where I found others describing the exact image problems I was seeing, and Ken's responses have given me confidence that it is something that can be fixed by tweaking the firmware... so yeah, it sounds like a bug to me.
    keanustar likes this.
  7. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Yes all will be there.
  8. MINIX - Ken

It's a feature that is not welcomed by you guys and we shut it off, that's it. :D
  9. dragmore88

dragmore88 New Member

Ive noticed in FW005 that the player (kodi 17.3) randomly stops playing content (synology nfs).. I can start the title at the same spot and continue.. but its annoying... this never happened in 04 and earlier versions..
  10. Luiz Garcia

Luiz Garcia New Member

I have a pretty nasty bug in this thread which seems not to be getting any attention, the box CRASHES every time i try to play a specific source, it does not matter if there is something wrong with the source, the box should fail gracefully. Besides that, the same source plays in other devices.

This is the thread: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/i...deo-just-black-screen-works-on-nexus-6.17382/

Can we please investigate that? I can provide logs if needed, i can also provide the source in private because it is a paid IPTV list and cannot be accessed by multiple people.

Thanks
  11. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Totally agree, however, why is my U9 different than other U9s? The only MKV, MP4, etc. files that play bad on my U9 are just plain bad files. All the rest play smooth with no issues. I use different players for different files. No one universal player is going to work on every video.

Yes it would, if it also played badly on my U9 and other U9 units as well. I played the file mentioned and saw no artifacts. Was it as good as other videos I have watched? No, but then it may have been a poorly compressed file. The U9 and many boxes have many variables that play a role in playback, good sound, color and brightness. I had cheap HDMI cables and noticed ghosting, fluttering, poor sound and darkness at certain times. Just replacing those cables with quality ones got rid of all those problems. Then I increased my buffering drastically, got rid of bloatware that runs in the background and serves no purpose for what I use my U9 for. I adjusted all the possible settings I could do, to balance the volume, brightness, etc., on both my U9 AVR and TV (both my AVR and TV have separate settings for each HDMI channel. I primarily use KODI and have my personal U9 boot straight to KODI. I noticed not all builds and skins are created equal. Some play movies better than others. Players can react differently as well, so I use different players for different formats.
    Hopefully firmware updates can balance the reported issues. Maybe it would be good to add settings for brightness, color and tone. One thing for sure is not every AVR and TV are the same.
  12. MINIX - Ken

Change log of upcoming FW006:

1.) Fixed MX Player HW decoder bug while using with SAMBA
    2.) Fixed deep color bug while refresh rate switching is ON
    3.) Fixed HDMI clock inaccurate problem
    4.) Fixed HDR bug
    5.) Disabled noise reduction to enhance video sharpness
    6.) Fixed a problem related to 4K mkv playback
    7.) Fixed Daydream bug when using different languages
    8.) New time format for MINIX launcher
    9.) Fully hiding status bar of some apps
    10.) Matching device serial number with MAC address (by OTA only)
  13. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

looking good (y):)
  14. skynet

Looking very good :) :)

Sent with my S7 edge
  15. Goofy_Goober

Goofy_Goober New Member

And what about the error when switching audio tracks DTS?
  16. JJ-KwiK

JJ-KwiK Active Member

@MINIX - Ken - Does this mean you will be skipping FW005A and going right to FW006? If not, what can we expect for the FW005A changelog?
    kingsizept likes this.
  17. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I recall @MINIX - Ken mentioning a FW005A but I expect they've decided to call it FW006. :)
    JJ-KwiK likes this.
  18. MINIX - Ken

That's not a bug, audio & video sync takes time to resync during switching audio track, we may improve the time in next firmware, don't want users to wait another 2 more weeks for one issue.
  19. MINIX - Ken

Yes yes ...
  20. nineteenth

nineteenth Member

It's strange, we though that bug (described here: http://minixforum.com/posts/137893) is confirmed and fixed, because you wrote after some time: