1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Can't enter flash mode? :(

Discussion in 'NEO X7 Guides & FAQs' started by nenoxx, Oct 5, 2014.

1. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

Hi guys, would You please be so kind and help me out... I am trying to enter a flash mode so that I can update to a newest Neo X7 firmware, but what ever I do, what ever I press and no metter for how long, nothing happends :(... can U please advise me on this problem... thank You all in advance...
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Which firmware are you on now? Which firmware are you updating to?
    Are you trying to flash using the rkflashtool on a pc, if so what os?

Sent using Tapatalk
  3. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

@Higgs: thank You very much for Your reply... I have just last night succeded to update to official fw010 (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x7-010-firmware-30th-april-2014.41/) by just using update.zip from the page, and off course, following the insstructions :)... now, I would also liketo update to a cfw (quickshot), but I will come back to You ASAP, actually, as soon as I test again putting Nexo X7 into a flash mode... maybe the FW I had was the problem... thanks again...
  4. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

@Higgs: thank You again for You reply... unfortunatelly, even thoug I have managed to install latest fw010, I can not still enter flash mode by pressing power button and recovery button together :(... my pc doesn't see my Minix as an usb device :(... pls, help...
  5. traxdata

traxdata Retired Super Mod Moderator

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

@traxdata: thnx, but that links is out-of-date :(, as it has been moved to minixforum.com... do You maybe have a link on the same page but on these new minixforum.com web pages?
  7. traxdata

Enable the Enable “Connect to PC” on Android Settings -> USB.
  8. traxdata

I found this with a search with a bit more detail.

Power on and connect your Minix Mini to your PC using the supplied Male-Male USB cable.
    If the device won’t be detected by the PC then enable the Enable “Connect to PC” on Android Settings
    Now your PC will detect the device as external storage.
    Now, unplug the power and usb cable from X7mini. Connect the usb cable first. While keeping the reset button pressed (at the bottom of the x7mini; use a pin) , plug in the power. Keep the reset button pressed for another 4-6 seconds and release. At this point, the Windows PC should be connected to the X7mini and the PC goes into a looking-for-driver search mode. When prompted (after exhausting the auto search), point the PC to the driver folder location above. Remember to use the correct location relevant to your PC config (e.g. x7mini\NEO_USBdriverV3.5\Win32bit\win7).If it does not prompt, go to device manager on the windows and configure the driver manually.
    Once this is successfully completed, run RKbatchtool.exe. It should show a “connected devices” square icon in GREEN. Choose RESTORE (Important: do NOT use Upgrade) button and point to the firmware file in the folder created in Step 1. The firmware upgrade will begin and do not press any buttons or unplug anything until the process is fully finished.
    The X7mini will reboot itself with the newly updated firmware, the whole process may take upto 10 mins.
  9. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

@traxdata: thank You very much for Your help... I'll try this and come back to You ASAP... btw, since I own Minix Neo X7, but not the mini version, does it change anything in described procedire? Thnx in advance... King regards...
  10. traxdata

should be the same..
  11. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

hi there... well, i Have tried, but nothing works :(... no recognition by Windows 7 x64 OS on my laptop :(... and Minix Neo X7 only enters Recovery system v4.2.51 if I keep Revocery button for 4-6 seconds :(... is there anything else I can try :(... I have succesfully, using update.zip updated the fw to 010 version, but I would like to try out some CFW, if it is possible... thank in advance for You help...
  12. Higgs

13. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

well, actually I did, I have managed to install driver successfully, but again, when I attach the Minix to PC, nothing happends :(, there is no recognition of my Minix device by Windows :(... seems like that pressing recovery button and power button togeter doesnt work on my device :(...
  14. Higgs

15. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

nope :(... even if I set "Connect to pc" and set Minix as a Mass storage, the PC itself doesn't recognise the Mini on USB port :(... I have tried all USB ports on my laptop :(...

I have seen the link You have put in Your post, but nothing can really help as long as my PC can not "see" Minix in a normal "mass storage" mode :(... that is at least my guess :(...
  16. Higgs

Do you hear a sound when you plug it into the PC? Your usb cable may not be be making a proper connection with the OTG port.
    Are you using the OTG cable that came with the X7. The metal bit should be sligtly longer than regular micro usb cables, enabling it to make a proper connection.
  17. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

Well, I have bought it used, so maybe exOwner has put another nonOtg cable inside :(... but is there any way I can check the USB connection with a simple male-to-male full USB cabel? If that also doesn't work :(, then it is not the Otg calbe cable that might be the problem? Or, I am wrong?
  18. Higgs

If you don't hear a ping when connecting it then its likely your otg cable. You'll know if its the correct one as the micro usb end is longer than a normal one (e.g. a phone charger cable)
    You could try pairing a bit of the plastic away - there used to be a youtube video about this - I'll have a search for it
  19. Higgs

20. nenoxx

nenoxx New Member

Well, I have managed to cut off a small bit of plastic, and VOILLA :), PC now "sees" my Minix as an external USB mass storage :)... after that, I have managed to put the Neo X7 into flash mode, and managed to update to newest custom ROM (Finless 1.9)...

@Higgs & @traxdata: Guys, just wanted to thank You both for all the time You have spent on this issue with me, and all the help You have provided... You have definitelly saved me :)... who would say that such a minor thing like plastic bit on one end of OTG cable, can fuss so many problems... thnx a lot and king regards to both of You from Croatia!
    oldbirchy, traxdata and Higgs like this.