1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Can't play 4k on Neo u1

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by gmg86uk, Dec 3, 2017.

1. gmg86uk

gmg86uk New Member

I've got a 4k Sony Brava tv (KD-55XD8599). I've tried connecting my Neo U1 into every HDMI port but cant get it to play 4k content. When I use the Youtube app the highest resolution I can select is 1080p. When I check Kodi settings the resolution option is greyed out and set to 1080p (it won't let me increase OR decrease the resolution). I've looked through the android settings but there's no option to change the resolution. Anyone able to help please?
  2. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

You won't be able to 4k in any Youtube app, for a workaround please follow this threads:

About Kodi limitation look here:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

I'm not familiar with Sony tv's anymore but if that's a smart tv it should have the YouTube app installed on it, or if not you should be able to install it so you can use that to view 4k videos, that's what I do on my LG 4k tv.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  4. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

According to my experience with the Youtube app embedded in tv systems, the video res is chosen automatically by the app, we can't choose it ourselves, and so you will sometimes be watching a 4k video at a lower resolution because the app decided on unknown facts that would be your ideal resolution. That is why it wasn't mentioned above. Yet you are right, under ideal conditions the Youtube app provided with modern tv sets is 4k capable. You have to check in "advanced statistics" from the app which resolution it chose to present you at video playing, and keep fingers crossed.(y)
  5. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

I haven't watched loads and loads of 4k videos on youtube so can't verify whether your correct about not all playing in 4k resolution but I've viewed plenty of the animal 4k videos on there and I'm in no doubt that the ones I viewed were playing in 4k, the image quality just blew me away, absolutely stunning.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    CybeRider likes this.
  6. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

The way you describe it it must have been 4k that's for sure!

I once bought a Rolex in the street... It was shiny and had Rolex carved in the case anyway. :D

Should you connect through a LAN port you will get better results than the ones amongst us that use WIFI. So, unless you show me there is a way to lock the tv app in 2160p I would appreciate that you don't rush in doubting results from my long wasted hours around this subject. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

Did I say I was doubting you, sounds more like your doubting me, I know what 4k looks like on my 4k tv. Just took a pic while the stats were on display on the youtube app, clearly shows the app is running in 4k resolution.

I've just tested 15 4k videos at random, stats for all the videos show 3840x2160 resolution. Picked some non 4k videos to test too, screen res shows 1080p for those as it should, seems the youtube app on my lg is running 4k videos at 4k resolution. [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  8. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

Now you did it the proper way. I'm not doubting you have an optimal setup. The thing you don't have is the crappy setup that tricks you into thinking you are watching a 4k video when the app brings it down to a "current_optimal" definition without letting you know you are watching the 4k video at a "convenient" resolution, even if it looks a wonder.

I really can't see any benefit in prefering that method to others. This is a Minix forum and so I passed the info on how to workaround the 4k youtube videos in a Minix device when the apps are not doing 4k, the smart tv web browser is capable to lock the 4k videos in 2160p, this app you mention is capable of doing 2160p if you have an optimal setup, the android apps can't play 4k youtube content at 2160p so far.

You didn't have to go through all the process to reach this results, it is well described in the above links. The image you posted shows the proper way to find out the resolution the app is playing, your eyes can trick you depending on screen size and especially between 2k and 4k resolutions, therefore it is important to go beyhond our human limitations to figure out how our systems are performing.

Why would you wish anyone to trust your eye sight when you can document your testings, as you just did?

I also don't need glasses but that's nobody's concern.

An image of a beautiful 4k video playing at 2k:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. ezriderz

ezriderz New Member

Cyberider, what did you use to get the stats to show up over the picture? It looks very handy.
  10. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

Hi, @ezriderz , the stats that is displayed over the posted picture is the info you get when you are using the tv Youtube application mentioned above. The regular Youtube app doesn't show that, also because in the regular Youtube app you are given the option to choose at your best preference the video resolution from the available resolutions in a slider.

The newer versions of the tv Youtube app, the one where you can have that information displayed as above, doesn't allow you to choose the resolution. It tries to play the video at the best possible resolution. If that is what you get or not can then be checkek opening the statistics from the definitions of the app (that is what you can see there).

However I unistalled the new version as we discussed this subject and rolled it back to the preinstalled version of the Youtube tv app that was supplied with my U1, which is version 1.3.8, as it allows you to choose a resolution up to 1080p from the slider. It has a similar stats display you can use but it is a little trickier to find. You go in Settings and there you have to choose something that in English should be Statistics For Nerds.
    ezriderz likes this.
  11. ezriderz

ezriderz New Member

Thanks CybeRider. I have not gotten into the YouTube app. I always down my YouTube clips using clipgrab. Then I can play them with Kodi as a stream.
    CybeRider likes this.
  12. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

Kodi is awesome.
    So, you probably know that pressing the letter 'O' in a keyboard while watching some content in Kodi will turn on/off a panel similar to what we were talking about.

13. ezriderz

ezriderz New Member

Yes, I know about the Codec Info "O" and use it frequently. Yet I get a different display than your screenshot. Especially interesting is the toolbar along the bottom edge of the screen. I've never seen that. How did you manage that?

Thanks Cyberider, EZr
  14. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

That is a screen capture in the Minix (there are quite a lot of pictures with that toolbar showing in this forum), actuallly there is the tip of the mouse pointer over the camera icon :D. The previous picture, I had in the former discussion above was taken with a mobile phone as I wanted to enphasize the words and didn't want to have to manipulate the picture to make them larger, that's why the toolbar isn't there.

Actually I don't know if there is a way of screen capturing in the Minix without that toolbar showing, unless you crop it out afterwords.

To activate that toolbar in the Minix you have to pull the mouse arrow to the very bottom of the screen and then (with the A2 remote) keep the center droid key pressed while you move the arrow up, and tadaaaa.

Thanks, ezriderz
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Not aware of a way other than using a screen capture app.

Since Android 6 it is possible to press and hold Power & Volume down buttons. I use this method with the U9-H.
    CybeRider and kingsizept like this.
  16. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

there is a screenshot facility using adblink...of course this cannot be done on the minix alone , but it works very well
    CybeRider likes this.