1. Official MINIX forum

CEC still not working right

Discussion in 'X8 - X8H Official Firmware 002' started by Therket, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Therket

Therket New Member

With the new 002-Firmware, CEC is still not working as it should.
    The good thing: It seems it doesn't break the whole CEC chain anymore. I can't finally confirm this, as I had the X8-H unplugged to keep the other devices alive..

Now, if I plug the X8-H, the TV switches to X8-H, the remote is working, but: The X8 isn't listed in TV's menu. So once I switched to another device (e.g. satellite receiver), I can't switch back to X8.

My setup: Philips TV + Denon AVR, X8 connected to Denon.
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We tested on SONY, Samsung and LG and they are OK?
    Can you check with Philips after-sales support about the way they apply CEC?
  3. Therket

Therket New Member

My TV is out of warranty, so it won't make any sense to contact Philips. Also, all other devices do work right. Another user reported he had problems to access X8 with his Samsung TV, but discovered another option in the menu, so he was happy, but I think, there is some kind of error.
    Something that is "special" in my setup: X8 isn't connected directly to the TV, but to the AVR -> only one HDMI cable going to the TV. Also note that I was cold booting the X8, which might be a little bit uncommon.

What I can do for you: I can start cecclient on my Raspberry PI in passive mode and log both successful connects from satellite receiver and unsuccessful conect from X8. It's just been a while since I last did that and I have to look how to do it exactly.
  4. Therket

Therket New Member

Hmm, I did some more testings here, but - and that's the biggest problem here - I don't have a 100% repro case anymore. Right now, it seems to work almost fine.
    Anyway, I had some weired effects during testing:
    • Whole CEC Bus was broken with X8 being powered up. No message has been acknowledged by any device. As soon as I unplugged X8, communication was fine again
    • The TV recognized once "Neo-X8" instead of "MINIX NEOX8"
    • Logical address changed from B (Playback Device 3) to 4 (Playback Device 1, which had been occupied by Chromecast) after reboot of X8.
    Anyhow, no repro case, so no clean logs, so no fixes possible right now...
  5. Therket

Therket New Member

Hmm, it seems, the CEC Part is simply dying (don't know how that works in Android, is it a process, a service or whatever..).
    Right now, while the TV was connected to X8, it stopped working while browsing through XBMC. I tried to issue some simple commands from CEC-Client, like
    Code:
    ver 11
    DEBUG:   [          506120]     << requesting CEC version of 'Playback 3' (B)
    TRAFFIC: [          506121]     << 1b:9f
    DEBUG:   [          507182]     expected response not received (9E: cec version)
    TRAFFIC: [          507182]     << 1b:9f
    DEBUG:   [          508243]     expected response not received (9E: cec version)
    CEC version unknown

But the X8 didn't answer. Rebooting X8 fixed the problem.

What is the expected behavior in Standby / Poweroff? Should it respond to CEC commands? Is it supposed to react on an "ON" command?
  6. MINIX - Ken

It's normal, the product name we use for sleep mode and operating mode are different.
  7. I agree with that said the Therket, the problem of CEC is not yet resolved. The last update has improved a lot, but Minix still has much work to do. I hope Minix resolve the errors that we all reported. My problem now is with the HT-H7750WM Samsung Home Theatre. With my Samsung TV UE46F8000 have no problems, I did tests and found no problems, just have problems when connected to the home theater system, and is similar to Therket. I imagine the difficulty that Minix has to solve the problems of the CEC, but Minix can not say it was all done and it works fine. If that were true, there were so many customers report problems. I would appreciate Minix was more humility and sincere (Respect). Thank you.
    Note: Google Translator
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. MINIX - Ken

No problem, we shall look into this again.
  9. Thank you very much.
  10. MINIX - Ken

You're welcome, it is what we should do.
  11. IdanR

IdanR New Member

Cec works for me. Turning on the x8-h will turn on the TV, but putting it to sleep doesn't turn off the TV. Is there anything I can do? My TV is LG
  12. Healer

Healer Member

Same here, it's the only thing that works with CEC on my lg.
    Tv doesn't detect minix.
  13. MINIX - Ken

The problem does exist on some TVs, not all.
    We will provide a improved CEC software on the coming update. :)
    WolfP and Healer like this.
  14. Hello, I wonder if still trying to solve the problems of the CEC. In my TV is fine, but in homecinema does not work well. When launched the latest firmware update said there were some unsolved problems. Have gone on anything else? Thanks and regards the minix team.
  15. MINIX - Ken

that app needs touch controls...
  16. Sorry, I did not understand. You meant that the CEC system needs more work, is it?
  17. MINIX - Ken

maybe I misunderstood your problem, please tell me more in details...