1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Clarification on IR for Windows.

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by OTA, Sep 14, 2015.

1. OTA

OTA New Member

I understand that the remote won't work, but does that mean the integrated IR is totally useless? Is there a way I can use it to configure a universal remote, etc. for use with Kodi? It's odd that I would need to purchase an IR receiver and use one of my only two USB ports when there's already one installed in the box and appears to be in the Windows hardware manager.
  2. Haldi

Haldi Member

There is probably no driver for Windows for this piece of hardware.
    If you manage to find a generic driver then you might also be able to receive commands.
  3. OTA

OTA New Member

I don't see any unknown devices in the device manager, so I'm presuming it's in there somewhere. It's difficult to find anything because there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the chipsets used in the Z64.
  4. Au Lax

Au Lax New Member

I also would like to know if the IR can be used in Windows. Does anyone know if it is disabled in what ever the equivalent to a BIOS is on these? From what I understand, the hardware is the same between the Android version and the Windows 8.1 version. Just for some reason, the IR is not accessible in the Windows version. It is a driver issue?

I have been testing 2 of these out and IMO, they work really well as the front end to HDHomeRun devices via the Kodi plug-in. I have 2 Intel NUC's which both came with the IR built-in, and they work great using an MCE remote or the Harmony that I set up. I would like to use the same with the Z64 but do not want to have the hassle of a dongle. It would be nice to hear from someone from Minix on why the IR receiver is not accessible on the Windows version.
  5. MIchmast

MIchmast New Member

have anyone been lucky on solving this issue?
    I was also trying to get the IR receiver working on windows in order to use an Apple remote with eventghost.
    Anyone can help ?
  6. Au Lax

Au Lax New Member

I have not heard of anyone being able to solve this. Nor to actually confirm that in the Windows version the IR receiver is actually physically there. If the IR worked on the Windows Z64 I think these would sell really well.

It would be nice if someone from Minix would respond to this thread as to why the IR won't work and why no driver.
  7. OTA

OTA New Member

I have a suspicion that it's a BIOS thing. It's been a while since I've been on here, but if I recall, the Android version comes with a different BIOS than the Windows one does. I'm presuming that Minix disabled this feature in the BIOS for Windows so they wouldn't have to deal with supporting it.
  8. pgloor

pgloor New Member

Any news on this? As I moved from Android to Windows 10 I'm interested in it.
  9. OTA

OTA New Member

I ended up just buying a FLIRC to use. It works well, but you lose one of the USB ports.