1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Common audio and video bugs using Minix U9-H and Kodi

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Clemery76, Nov 27, 2017.

1. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Yes, it's a new install and won't touch your Kodi's libraries.
  2. kernerman

kernerman New Member

The 2018-01-06 build of Kodi 18 is suffering from the same hiccups. I've temporarily marked my receiver as non-Dolby-capable in Kodi System > Audio > Passthrough options to "fix" that (this pushes decoded PCM stream to the receiver instead of raw Dolby).

SPMC does not seem to be able to perform passthrough at all. It doesn't have built-in "Enable passthrough" option but instead it provides "Output device" option where there is three options (two of them being "android, EIC/raw passthrough") but all of them emit PCM to the receiver. Also, SPMC's auto framerate doesn't work on U9-H, so it's not a viable solution in the first place.
  3. skynet

Spmc is able to use pass-through, I use it and it works perfectly!
    Select expert mode option in settings and go to system / audio
    Auto frame rate works perfectly too.
    I have no stutters at all using it.

Sent with my S7 edge
    KellyND1 and kingsizept like this.
  4. Philippe J

Philippe J New Member

Hello, so I test a few things and for me the best solution is to use FTMC (version from freaktab)
    --> ftmc-jarvis-16-2-31
    However, the only downside is that it doesn't passthrough DTS-HD and AC3+, etc.. (only AC3 and DTS).
    As for SPCM, I encounter a lot a bug with that version of Kodi (audio drop and odd aspect ratio bug).
    For other format like DTS-HD, I use libreElec by dual booting when needed. (also, LibreElec is not perfect yet)
    Anyway everything else seem ok with this box. I just feel a little bit sad that after 1 years there is still sound problems with it.
    Stay calm and keep smile.;)
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. kernerman

kernerman New Member

My bad, scrolling with A3 air mouse is a bit counter-intuitive so I didn't manage to scroll the options screen and see that option at first. Indeed, there is a separate switch for audio passthrough in SPMC below on that screen. I enabled it, SPMC would emit proper raw Dolby stream but only black screen for video. I rebooted U9-H and SPMC started to play everything correctly, but now after reboot I didn't notice a single hiccup in 5 minutes in Kodi with raw output either (it used to be every 20-30 seconds). The problem is apparently intermittent and is possibly triggered by something. I'll see if it returns in Kodi.

Still, auto framerate in SPMC (16.7-02, the latest version from Play Store) never worked for me. I go to Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate and no matter what I choose there (Always, On start/stop) it wouldn't change the output refresh rate on playback, it stays 60p. Playing the same source file with Kodi 17.6 (also from Play Store) switches the refresh rate to 24p.
  6. skynet

Strange, it works perfectly at home, most of my movies are @23,976 FPS and played fine.
    HDMI level must be set to 1 in Minix setting.
  7. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

I have a feeling it depends as much on the TV :unsure:
  8. skynet

Yes, some of them need some time to switch, from 0 to 5 sec :unsure:
  9. AndyCli

AndyCli New Member

Back to Topic SPMC seems fine, i would instantly switch to SPMC if there would be a viable Skin, e.g. Estuary, but there isnt at least till V17

Since I now understand that the Android Development of Kodi seems more or less super-low-prio, what are the chances to fix this ?
  10. skynet

We really don't know and we all waiting for Kodi V18 stable.
    KellyND1 likes this.
  11. I got the EXACT same problem as stated in the first post. Gonna return this real soon if there is no fix
  12. Thomas9406

Thomas9406 New Member

I have the same problem with my u9-h. Dts ac3 and doblly surround cuts out for 1 second every 5 to 10 minutes at kodi.

I think the problem is solved ( i hope so) for now at least.
    By the next settings

Android settings :
    System sounds on ( i don't now why but when I turns this off it starts again)
    Digitals sounds :
    auto ( HDMI passthrough)

Kodi settings :
    Update to kodi 17.6 at Google play store
    Everything on original settings (2.0 channels)
    only activate audio passthrough for dts, doblly digital and transcording.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  13. Marwell

Marwell New Member

I'm using LibreELEC with no sound and playback problems.

I installed the system on a 8GB USB drive, works flawlessly!

for installation here is a very good step by step tutorial:

Mod edit: Video removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2018
    Thomas9406 likes this.
  14. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

No need for reset switches on the U9 because there is a much easier option for getting LE booting the first time:
    From LE install notes:
    • MINIX U1 / U9: insert SD card (or USB), plug in power cord. Then hold in power button for at least 6 seconds or until LE Logo appears.
    Thomas9406 and kingsizept like this.
  15. Thomas9406

Thomas9406 New Member

when i boot the u9-h after install liberELEC,
    can i choice on a easy way for booting android and LiberELEC ?
    I want to use the android apps as well and not just Kodi.
  16. skynet

Just put Libreelec on a pendrive and boot in it.
    When you remove your pendrive Android will boot again.
    Thomas9406 likes this.
  17. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

In LibreELEC - select from Kodi's power Menu - 'Reboot from Internal" to auto reboot to Android. No need to remove LibreELEC SD/USB

In Android reboot the U9 with the LE SD/USB still inserted and it will boot into LibreELEC.
    kingsizept likes this.
  18. Thomas9406

Thomas9406 New Member

Thanks for the info of libereelec.
    I keep it in mind, for when if have problems with Android.
    But for now everything works fine on kodi 17.6 and fw007a firmware (when system sound our on)
  19. silvapa

silvapa Member

Hi, I have no problems with audio:

Dolby Sounds DRC Mode - LINE
    DTS Drcscale - 0%
    Digital Sounds - PCM
    Sound Devices / Output Devices - hdmi
  20. AndyCli

AndyCli New Member

@silvapa Lucky you but as it seems a lot of other (still) Have DTS Drops