1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Custom ROM Configurable Custom Firmware

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by messer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Willis

Willis New Member

Thanks, M8... :)

I'm too busy, right now to get an install done, but I'll download, now, to install later - I hope to get to installing before the weekend is over so I can report back... Sorry to be SO busy... :(
  2. messer

messer youthful doter Dev Group

@Willis
    no stress ... it's not running away ;-)
  3. Willis

Willis New Member

Could you, please explain, "it's not running anyway" My download is almost completed... Should I install your 2nd version instead if I get the chance, rather than your version 3?
  4. messer

Hi,
    looking into the numbers of downloads and comparing it with the rare number of thread entries I assume that my configurable custom firmware is running quite smoothly (no bleat => no problem ;)).

Because of that I think it’s time to start with some changes. As a first phase I would like to begin with
    • setup internal improvements (size and speed) and
    • language and country related issues
    Needless to say that I have to cover the internal changes by my own.

But I would highly appreciate your feedback and input regarding the language and country related aspects. Currently I have the following issues on my list:
    • default date format and default time zone per language / country
      At the moment the default date format as well as the time zone per country are set by me on a „best guess“ basis. Usually I would use the main cities for the time zone but unfortunately Minix is not providing the whole list of time zones.
      It would be very helpful if you could provide the correct information for date format and timezone corresponding to the following languages / countries
    • Dansk
    • Dutch
    • English UK
    • English US
    • French
    • German (being a native speaker I know that by my own)
    • Italian
    • Polish
    • Portuguese
    • Turkey
    • language specific keyboard layout files for Logitech keyboard k400
      Currently I am only able to distribute the k400 keyboard layout for English and German settings. If somebody could provide keyboard layout files for the Logitech keyboard k400 with one oft he above mentioned languages I would highly appreciate it so that I can integrate it into the zip file.
      Of course I will add an acknowledgement to the setup process.
    • Langues for the core installation process
      Last but not least I would appreciate if we could increase the number of languages for the core installation process. If you would be willing to translate the GUI output I will forward a text file with the corresponding entries (to translate).
    It would be great if some of you could answer the mentioned questions so that I will be able to consider your feedback as part of a new version – THANK YOU in advance.

Best regards

messer
    nesor85 likes this.
  5. messer

Sorry Willis,
    I didn't want to confuse you ... I have translated a German phrase without thinking about it's meaning in other languages. What I wanted to mention is that you don't have to hurry and that the downloads will stay on the cloud space for longer time - that's all.
    Willis likes this.
  6. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

Dont forget English Australian ;)
    +10:30 GMT as well
  7. messer

Hi,

just to let you know ... I have just uploaded version 04b with the name "X8_cCFW002A_04b.zip".

The changes will be added to the first entry of this thread.

In contradiction to the former versions I uploaded only 1 file so that people who want to process the installation in English have to choose the language manually on the first screen. Sorry about that - but keeping two files actual takes too much of my time ... compared to one click for you ;-)

Due to the upcoming Xmas holidays (I will be on vacation without any PC, tab ...) I will start to look into the time zone issue next year.
    Willis likes this.
  8. Gh0st

Thanks for the Aussie dictionary :D
    Forgot to mention I'd stickied the thread but I guess you noticed hehe
    Enjoy your holiday and keep up the good work when you return
  9. Gh0st

@messer I've upgraded you so you now have developer status!
    You now have access to the private development forum and beta forum. Feel free to post any questions or test builds there if you like :)
    Well done!
    Willis likes this.
  10. Willis

Willis New Member

Congratulations, messer... :) You earned it, M8... :)
  11. messer

Oh, didn't expect ... thanks a lot!
    But in 2 hours I will leave home for vacations and thus I will have to wait for the new opportunities for some day :cry:.

Will be back in some days ...

Happy XMas to all of you!
    nesor85 likes this.
  12. remb0

remb0 New Member

Great work sounds all very nice!! gonna test it!
  13. messer

Hi,

I hope you had a great Xmas time!

Some minutes ago I have uploaded the new version 05b so that you should be able to download it via the links provided in the first entry of this thread.

The changelog will be update soon (in the first entry).

Have fun!
  14. etwintje

etwintje New Member

Timezone in The Netherlands is the same as in Germany :p in winter time GMT and in summer time GMT +1. Date format is day/month/year. I am willing to translate to Dutch as long as is it not a huge amount of text.

Thanks for your work, I will test it out this week!
  15. messer

Hi etwintje,

sounds great. My suggestion is that you test it first and if everything is running smoothly for you I will provide the text file for the translation (so that you can decide by your own whether you want to translate it or not).
  16. etwintje

etwintje New Member

Sounds good, I will test your rom tomorrow!
  17. etwintje

etwintje New Member

Alright, I have installed it today and it runs great, but there was a problem during the installation. It looks like the installer is way to big for my screen. Tried it on my 720p tv and my 1080p monitor. In the end I managed to get in installed, and it runs nice, but it was a bit tricky without seeing what you're clicking on ;). I would like to thank you for your hard work. I really love all the options you put in to this rom!
    [​IMG]
    On my tv 720p tv. Sorry for the picture quality.
    [​IMG]
    On my 1080p monitor.

The TWRP seems to fit, altough that one appears to be a bit to small, but that might be normal. It is basically only the Aroma installer that is giving me a problem. The installation goes just fine, and the rom runs nice. Please send me the text file for translation. I will try to finish it asap! It is my way of thanking you for the time and effort you put into this!
  18. messer

Hi etwintje,

thanks for testing! To be honest - I have never seen before that the screen is not displayed completely :( . I will take a look at it soon (after the preparation and execution of our today's party is done :sneaky:).

I have attached a zip file with the language files for German, English and Dutch (this one currently includes the English text phrases).
    So, feel free to adapt the content of the file called "nl.lang" so that we can included Dutch as an installation language. Thank you very much in advance!

Have a great New Year's Eve party!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  19. Gh0st

I also had the problem of Aroma being absolutely huge on my TV.
    I forgot to mention it sorry
  20. messer

First of all: I wish you a happy and healthy new year!

In spite of having difficulties to get my eyes open today I have started to investigate into the display issues mentioned above.

I have made several tests and to sum it up: I could not re-produce the cut of the screen output on my devices (tested with a 23" Monitor and with a 40" TV, both connected via HDMI).
    Also testing to switch the screen resolution (by shell command 'echo 720p > /sys/class/display/mode') as the first step of the installation process didn't work like expected because the recovery doesn't support that step appropriately :( .

Thus I have to ask some questions:

@etwintje :
    Do you use an adapter to connect your 720p TV to the X8H box (HDMI to what ever kind of connector for you TV)?
    Looking to the pictures above I had to recognize that the screen output is is cutted (usually the headline on the top of the screen is centered). That's curious because the Aroma installer usually scales the output to resolution of the box. In your case it looks like the Aroma installer is getting a resolution of 1920x1240 but the output is not scaled to the lower resolution - might be that an adapter is the reason for that.

@Gh0st :
    What do you mean with "absolutely huge"? Are you able to see the buttons (e. g. next respectively back) on the buttom of the screen? Is you TV connected via HDMI?

Sorry for this bunch of questions but currently I have no clue how to go further without your feedback.