1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Custom Rom

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by jscott, Jul 21, 2016.

1. jscott

jscott New Member

I’m creating a custom rom based on FW008 for a project where I need to mass provision a lot of devices. I’m using Amlogic Customisation Tool v2.0.7.

The ROM needs to be rooted as we need to be able to push remote updates of our own apps.

My plan is to flash the custom cleaned up rom via USB and then root it with root_u1 .bat. I don’t want to use the EZ root method as it would involve inserting an sdcard into each device.

I’ve modified default.prop with:
    ro.secure=0
    ro.debuggable=1

And build.prop with:
    ro.debuggable=1
    persist.service.adb.enable=1

And preinstall.sh to enable developer mode:
    settings put global package_verifier_enable 0
    settings put global development_settings_enabled 1

As a result USB debugging is enabled by default and I can run “adb root”. However, when I run “adb remount” I get:

remount of system failed: Operation not permitted
    remount failed
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

You have to know that the adb-implementation at the U1 is not really helpful because you have no root at adb (so e.g. remounts also not working)... my last information (I think) at fw 007 (didn't tried it again at 008)...
  3. jscott

jscott New Member

Yes, the last working one was on 003. I tried copying it across but it wouldn't fire up
  4. newbie99

I don't think it's adb itselfe... as I wrote, I think it's the kind how MINIX implements the adb (and maybe remove something because of trouble with root at some apps ???)...
  5. jscott

jscott New Member

Ah, ok I understand. I've managed to root it manually myself and have my apps installing and updating so it's not the end of the world for me
  6. newbie99

I don't know how you will "flash the custom cleaned up rom via USB" but maybe this could be a way at your situation http://www.minixforum.com/threads/twrp-recovery-for-neo-u1.9602/ (I never used it, but maybe you can also boot to twrp which is placed at a SD (and not at the internal eMMC at the U1) so you can setup one as master and copy it to every device (but you have to use a SD))...
  7. jscott

jscott New Member

Ok thanks, I'll take a look
  8. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Put your apps inside the firmware and start a shell script from init.rc... for [file in....] pm install ... etc.. but please note that such firmwares will void warrenty
  9. newbie99

10. HardwareGuru

Unless you know what you do ... dont do things like like this if you dont know what you do risking a bricked device..
  11. HardwareGuru

Ps.. i will not educate how to.. as i do not enqurage things like this...
    newbie99 likes this.