1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Debian 8 with Openmediavault 3.0

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Alternate OS discussion' started by nicosea, Dec 7, 2016.

1. nicosea

nicosea New Member

If you would like to use the Z83-4 as a powerful and silent NAS, you should consider to use Openmediavault for the following reasons:
    • Fanless and powerful microprocessor
    • Very low electricity consumption
    • One port USB 3.0 (it can be easily upgraded more ports with a USB hub)
    • Any kind of sharing protocol (Samba, FTP, NFS, Apple time machine, etc.)
    • WebGUI very clear and simple
    • A lot of interesting plug-in, like Plex server, OpenVPN server, Transmission, etc.
    Unfortunately WiFi will not work, but a NAS should be connected always by ethernet.

You cannot boot the Z83-4 from the microsd, but you can do easily from USB stick from the bios (press ESC during the boot and you can change the boot sequence in the bios).

You will need two usb sticks: one with a bootable Debian 8 installation image and one empty, where to install Debian.

First make a full backup of windwos 10.

After downloading the Debian 8 amd64 iso image (debian-8.6.0-amd64-cd-1.iso), create a bootable USB pendrive with Debian 8 (there are plenty of tutorials and softwares to do it). Than from the bios, boot the system from the bootable USB. Attach a second USB stick (32gb are more than enough) and start installation process: you will need a basic installation, avoid environmental desktops and all the other options, except SSH.

When you are done, please google how to install omv on Debian 8 and do the few instructions in the terminal as root user (sorry I could not insert them because of links inside).

Ignore key error when you add the repository and during installation,the system will ask about MD arrays: just put "none". For all the rest choose the default options.

Reboot and... OpenMediaVault is installed,you are ready to login.

WebGUI is available at the ip address of the Z83/4, default access credentials:
    User: admin
    Password: openmediavaul

If you want to use Windows again, just reboot and choose Windows at the grub menu. Otherwise reboot and unplug the USB stick.

Screenshot.png
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    newbie99 likes this.
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

Really?
    I think you talk about 'fanless' ;)

EDIT
    If you have some links you want to post, I think you have to wait some days (I think >5 posts and my like should be enough but I'm not sure if you have to wait till you are alowed to post links) or send me a PM (conversation)
    nicosea and Bram77 like this.
  3. nicosea

nicosea New Member

Ah ah yes indeed funless!

I corrected it (y)
    Blad3Runn3r likes this.