1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Display Port NGC-1

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by IMA, Apr 12, 2016.

1. IMA

IMA New Member

I just purchased NGC-1 and try to get dual display working, one direct to TV the other via AVR. However, the Display Port does not appear to work.

Tried direct connection via Display Port to a normal LCD computer monitor, both via DVI and HDMI input on the LCD monitor did not work. The same config from Surface Pro2 i.e. Display Port to DVI and HDMI input on LCD monitor works.

I checked
    • the display drivers and they are the latest
    • Firmware, there is no settings to change.
    Can anyone assist?
  2. IMA

IMA New Member

Based on no reply can I assume the Display Port does not work on the NGC-1 or no body has used this interface?
  3. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I certainly haven't used it. So sorry, no comment! :(
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Please check the adapter, the port is working.
  5. Mooddoc

Mooddoc New Member

I have the same issue. The MiniDP port on 2 NGC devices does not produce a signal. I tested the MiniDP to HDMI adapter on a laptop with a MiniDP and it works fine so the adapter is OK.
    Any thoughts? This is disturbing as I cannot get the NGC to work with two screens and this was the main reason I bought them for.
    Thank you for any help
  6. Johan de Beuze

Johan de Beuze New Member

Same problem for me. I'm sure the adapter, cable en monitor are working. But no signal on the DP. Very annoying!

Anyone a solution?
  7. Mooddoc

Mooddoc New Member

Hi Ken,
    As so many people have this problem, can you please post a link to the exact adapter you use so we can buy it?
    Thank you!
  8. Johan de Beuze

Johan de Beuze New Member

Even with the recommended GRIFFIN adapter (wich I specially bought) the DP doesn't work, not with HDMI nor with DVI.

I just sent the Minix back because it is useless to me.
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. JMBO

JMBO New Member

Ok guys I have some good and bad news. The display port works for me with a VGA display with an Apple VGA adapter. Unfortunately it did not work with a DVI connector and an Apple DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Have other guys managed to make the MiniDisplay port work with DVI screens?
  10. fipellac

fipellac New Member

I will receive my ngc-1 this week. My idea is to use the dp with apple adapter dp to dvi port to my dell monitor.
    Will asap let you know the outcome in my case.

Bye

Filippo
  11. JMBO

JMBO New Member

Well... I tried with the Apple adapter and had no success. Hope you will be more lucky.
  12. MINIX - Ken

We've bought a few different mini-DP to HDMI/VGA adapters to test this function.

We found that mini-DP to HDMI adapters are lack of a signal conversion IC and products as such would not convert the signal properly.

Will keep you guys posted.
  13. MINIX - Ken

mini DP to VGA, so far we tested, all adapters are working.

direct mini DP to DP display, is working as well.

mini DP to HDMI, does not work, for adapter without a conversion chip.
  14. fipellac

fipellac New Member

I have an apple dp to dvi, did you test it?
    My ngc1 bought on internet lat weeking has not yet been delivered. :(
  15. MINIX - Ken

We've purchased the Asrock NUC (Beebox) using the same CPU platform to compare,
    its DP characteristics are the same as the NGC-1's.

Unlike laptop platforms, these are native displayport and don't support switching to HDMI/DVI.
  16. MINIX - Ken

We've contacted Intel regarding the displayport feature of Braswell platform, and here is the official answer we got:

"The native displayport supports displayport to D-Sub conversion, displayport to HDMI/DVI conversion is not supported."

Therefore, the conclusion would be:
    1.) mini DP to D-Sub (VGA) adapter will work;
    2.) mini DP to mini DP/DP (monitor side) direct connection will work;

Please kindly understand, apologies about the confusion that I have caused earlier in this thread.
    Villa likes this.
  17. MINIX - Ken

Dear Johan,

Sorry about that, it was my personal mistake.
    The Intel Braswell platform's mini DP supports only mini DP to D-Sub conversion or direct mini DP to mini DP/DP connection.
  18. fipellac

fipellac New Member

Confirm, apple dp to dvi adapter doesn't work on minix ngc-1.
  19. MINIX - Ken

The Intel Braswell platform's mini DP supports only mini DP to D-Sub conversion or direct mini DP to mini DP/DP connection.

mini DP to HDMI or mini DP to DVI is not supported for this platform.
  20. Mooddoc

Mooddoc New Member

Hi Ken, will this be the same with the new Z83-4 or can we expect direct MiniDP 2 HDMI conversion to work?