1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

dolby digital external soundcard

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by fraptor, Jan 10, 2017.

1. fraptor

fraptor New Member

hi all,

i currently have the z64w and really am missing dolby digital. I was thinking of buying an external soudcard for the optical connection. Does anyone have any experience with this on the z64w?

if so, what card do you recommend?
  2. Clwinbe

Clwinbe New Member

I have my hdmi cable running into my receiver first. I have tested with Netflix and what not. I get Dolby 5.1 raw feed from the Minix via hdmi without issue. If I had an older receiver, it would be up to the tv to pass it via fiber I would think.

But as for Windows 10, no problem.
  3. fraptor

fraptor New Member

Wow! Wasn't expecting a response! First that is for replying to the thread!

I tried going through the receiver first and I saw the Dolby 5.1 support, but not DTS. I tested the same footage using the z64w and my old minix neo mini x5. The x5 goes through an optical and has full DTS support on the same receiver.
  4. Clwinbe

Clwinbe New Member

I found this on a review,

https://www.avforums.com/review/minix-neo-z64w-windows-8.1-review.11764

general audio/video output and performance of the Z64W was excellent with native support for all the major codecs, containers, framerates and frequencies as part of the Intel chipset. We did note that some content played through the iPlayerLite addon was played back at the wrong frequency, with some 25fps material outputted at 24Hz but virtually everything else you care to throw at it will look and sound great. The chipset supports HDMI pass-through of 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS but anything above won’t work well. You can output DD 7.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1/7.1 plus DTS HD Master and DTS HD High Resolution as PCM but if you want those ‘special lights’ to illuminate on your AV Receiver, you’ll need to investigate VidonXBMC, which is a paid-for piece of software.
  5. Clwinbe

Clwinbe New Member

In my testing with a ISO of U571, with DTS selected, the Kodi app shows dts 5.1 audio but receiver shows input 2.0 only. When the same test is performed selecting Dolby, both Kodi and my receiver show Dolby D 5.1. DTS is not getting passed through.

This same test works fine from my U1.