1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Downgrade 4.4.2(kitkat) to 4.2.2(Jellybean) - ROCKCHIP ONLY!

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by HardwareGuru, Apr 5, 2015.

1. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

This tutorial is only for X5mini/X5/X7mini/X7 !

Hello guys,

As some of you asked how to go back to 4.2.2(Jellybean).
    This also could unbrick your X7/X5 series hardware! ( not allways )

First download this toolset;
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=Rockchip-Downgrade_tools.rar

Unpack it somware you can find it.
    * We prefer to use windows 7, but we added a windows8 version of the RKFlashTool also.

Setup your enviroment;
    If you have not installed the drivers yet;
    1. Open the folder RK_DriverAssistant and run the DriverInstall.exe
    2. If you get a prompt to install unverified drivers press install.

Put your MINIX into flashmode;
    Method 1;
    Through software.

1. Open the folder RKFlashTool_Win(7/8)... ( chooce your window version 7/8 )
    connect your MINIX with the "original otg cable", this is the micro usb to USB male cable. ( NOT the extention cable wich has a USB female! ) - For "X7mini/x5mini" use the USBmale>USBmale cable into the most front USB port.
    2. On your MINIX go to Settings > about device > press 7 times on "build number" to activate "developer options" if it is not yet available.
    3. go to Settings > Developer Options. and enable "USB debugging"
    4. go to Settings > USB and enable "Connect to USB"
    5. on the RKFlashTool you will now see a purple square.
    6. in the RKFlasTool press "Switch" to switch to flashmode.
    * the screen should be black and square should turn green now. ( now you are in flash mode )

Method 2;
    Through Hardware;

1. Turn off your MINIX.
    2. Open the folder RKFlashTool_Win(7/8)... ( chooce your window version 7/8 )
    connect your MINIX with the "original otg cable", this is the micro usb to USB male cable. ( NOT the extention cable wich has a USB female! ) - For "X7mini/x5mini" use the USBmale>USBmale cable into the most front USB port.
    X7/X5;
    3.1. next to the HDMI port is a little hole, behind it is a recovery button. Press this switch with a paperclip or something thin.
    3.2. at the same time press the power button and wait till you see a green square on the RKFlashTool. ( now you are in flash mode )
    3.3 release the recovery button on the bottom.
    X7mini/X5mini;
    3.1. Make sure your power adapter is unplugged and press the recovery button (the tiny hole on the bottom of your MINIX) with a paperclip and keep it pressed.
    3.2. plug your power adapter and wait till you see a green square on the RKFlashTool. ( now you are in flash mode )
    3.3 release the recovery button on the bottom.

Replace your bootloader;
    Open the folder RKDevelopTool and open the program RKDevelopTool.exe.
    NOTE; maske sure on the bottom it shows "Found One LOADER Device" or somthing with "MaskRom".. if it says "No Found any devices" please repeat above to get into flashmode.
    1. locate the "boot" section and press the search/browse button ( ...)
    2. locate the appropiate loader supplied with this tool and select it ( e.g X7series_JellybeanLoaderV1.bin if you want to go back to Jellybean 4.2.2 )
    3. Press the button "Erase ID Block" and wait for it to finish.
    4. Press "Erase All Blocks" and wait for it to finish.
    5. Press the button "Download" and wait for it to finish.

Done;
    Now your MINIX has the proper bootloader and you can savely flash your 4.2.2 firmware again through RKFlashTool.

NOTE; switching to flashmode should be posible with the DevelopTool but i never used it that way. for that reason please use the RKFlashTool to flash firmware and switch to flashmode through software.

Have fun guys
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. bachikho

bachikho Member

many thanks, i'll try and report because KK is too laggy for daily use
  3. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Kitkat laggy? :S i wonder what is wrong ..
  4. bachikho, are you sure you didnt do something wrong? I must say that KK is in every aspect better than JB on my minix X5mini. Been running KK for 2 weeks now, there literaly is no fault for now..
    By laggy, what do you mean exactly? How does it manifest? In games, videoplaying or something else?
  5. bachikho

bachikho Member

laggy in streaming video with flash (you can try ittf.com/ittv), i think it's x5 mini hardware limitation, not KK rom (everything was fine before with JB)
  6. bachikho

bachikho Member

very good tutorial, everything is much more smooth with JB than with KK on x5 mini, thanks so much :)
  7. tranphungan

tranphungan New Member

yes, as my opinion, i think JB is better for my X5 than KK. But i am always wanna use newest version!
    bachikho likes this.
  8. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Now I was going to make some sort of recommendation about KitKat, and tell this Guy he is wrong, but the more I use v2.3.0 I too am finding it a little laggy! Although it is still better than Jellybean if I remember correctly.
    It is not a streaming issue but apps appear to take longer to open and close, with noticable delays and lock ups.
    Somehow it just doesn't feel or appear as crisp and slick or responsive as v2.0.0! I can't comment on v2.1.0 & v2.2.0 as I jumped to v2.3.0
    The HLS configuration setting for me is not necessary because when it wasn't there I never had any problems.

I think I will stick it out a little longer but I am seriously thinking about going back to v2.0.0, but I certainly would not go back to Jellybean!

The work on these Firmwares is much appreciated and I enjoy testing them out, but maybe, for me at least, my X7 is, or should I say was, at its best and it is time to hang up my Firmware update hat for the time being!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    bachikho likes this.
  9. bachikho

bachikho Member

v2.2.0 is same laggy as v2.3.0, v2.0.0 and 2.1.0 is not for x5 mini, only for X7
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  10. Villa

You have an X5 mini and an X7?

Are you saying that v2.0.0 & v2.1.0 are ok with the X5 mini and not with the X7.

v2.0.0 has been the best for my X7!
  11. bachikho

bachikho Member

1- yes
    2- there are not v2.0 and 2.1 for x5 mini, only for x7, x5 mini kk rom started from v2.2
  12. Villa

Ahh! Now I understand your original statement.

Cheers!
  13. bachikho

bachikho Member

for x7 users: dont do it on Windows 8.1 because if your x7 is KK flashmode then it is recognized but when in JB flashmode it cannot be recognized
    2nd: when in JB flashmode, you have to keep the recovery button pressed all the restore process
    MaxeL likes this.
  14. Villa

So what is the Windows 8 version for?

"* We prefer to use windows 7, but we added a windows 8 version of the RKFlashTool also."
  15. bachikho

bachikho Member

don't know but it's not RKFlashTool problem, it's windows 8.1 driver issue (can recognised my X7 KK rom in flashmode but after return to JB bootloader then windows 8.1 cannot reconised my X7 in flashmode anymore, so i have to flash JB rom on windows vista)
    and through the whole restore process, i have to keep recovery button pressed, or else everything will be failed
  16. bachikho

bachikho Member

i'll test v2.0.0 and v2.1.0 because v2.2.0 have the same bugs as v2.3.0
  17. Villa

I'm still with v2.3.0

The HLS config thingy is still a pain in the butt!

Waiting on v2.4.0!

Let us know how you do! (y)
  18. Sgf_Sdgf

Sgf_Sdgf New Member

all kitkat roms have wifi weak signal, playing youtube only for some minutes then "connection lost, touch to retry" but cannot playing again without restart youtube, coming back to JB :(
  19. Villa

There is no problem with WiFi!

Never ever had a problem with WiFi

YouTube works great!
  20. Honestly, for me WiFi is crap on both, but a little better on kitkat. Still, too much fuss about that so I wired the damn thing..