1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Dual booting Android and Windows on Minix Z64W

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by Linuxium, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Linuxium

Linuxium Linux Evangelist Dev Group

Boots from USB ... no firmware flashing or BIOS modifications required. All you need to do is download the image from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99O3A0dDe67elhnQ2I3aS1QSEU and uncompress it and then write it to a USB using either using 'Win32 Disk Imager' on Windows or using 'dd' on Linux ... see

This is my 32-bit compilation of Intel's last Android on Intel Platforms source code explicitly defined for baytrail products (see https://01.org/android-ia). However I've updated the system to include Google Play Store and added root.

I've also made a video showing a summary of some key information and performance figures including the results from 'About Tablet', CPU-Z, AnTuTu and Octane ... see https://youtu.be/Gfu11EZBD3M

Note that the initial boot is quite slow. So slow that my video of it is probably the most boring one you could ever watch ... see https://youtu.be/S1qVfsljo2w
    deen4533, Haldi and zeevg like this.
  2. zeevg

zeevg Active Member

So this does not install anything on the minix device?

Is it boot android from usb or permanently create a dual boot system?

Thank you very much in both cases!!!
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Linuxium

It doesn't install anything to the device. The Android system is on the USB and everything required to boot and run Android is on the USB. It is not a 'live' USB but a USB installed Android system meaning that your files and data will remain available after a reboot. You can even boot on one Z64W and then take the USB to another Z64W and boot to continuing on from before.
    zeevg likes this.
  4. zeevg

zeevg Active Member

So, i should be using a "big" usb right? NTFS and as big as i can get?

This sounds Awesome!

Again thank you for this....
  5. Linuxium

You'll need an 8GB USB (larger USBs will work but the extra space will not get used). It doesn't matter how the USB is formatted as writing the download image will take care of it. Use your fastest USB to get the best possible performance.
    zeevg likes this.
  6. rollingrock

rollingrock Member

This is great and what I was looking for to run Android from a USB on the minix Z64.

Thanks Linuxium.
  7. sweden38

sweden38 New Member

It sounds good, but what about the installed apps on Android?. I mean, let say that I start up the system from the Android USB device... If I install a new App from Google App store or whatever... Will it be installed on the USB pendrive or where (apps, emulators, games... under Android)?. What about the user preferences?. Will it be necessary to set them everytine that I start the minix with the Android USB?.

Thanks

Sweden38
  8. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

If that means you want to boot automatically from the USB device, then yes, you should be able to handle it at the BIOS at [Boot] via the "Boot Option Priorities"...
  9. sweden38

sweden38 New Member

Hello Newbie99, thanks for your answer but that´s not whatI´m asking for, sorry (sorry also for my english...).
    What I´,m asking is where everything is stored if I launch Android from the USB pendrive. For example, if I try to install an app for Android and a couple of games and so on...where they be stored? on the USB pendrive also???. If so... I guess it will be necessary to use a big USB pendrive and 8GB will not be enough... isn´t?.

Thanks again

Sweden38
  10. Linuxium

If you use this version (i.e. downloaded from the link in the OP) then everything will be installed on the USB and if you make any changes (e.g. install an application, download a file etc.) then they will also be saved to the USB. You should use a USB with a minimum size of 8GB as the image uses 8GB. The image has statically assigned partitions meaning that whilst you can use a larger USB the space will not be seen by Android.
  11. sweden38

sweden38 New Member

Thanks Linuxium!.Now it´s cristal clear to me :).
  12. fborrelli

fborrelli New Member

Hi, I followed the instructions per above for the usb boot disk and it did boot into Android . The only two items that did not work were the wifi and bluetooth. I could not turn either of them on through settings. Do they require drivers?
    best regards, frank
  13. Jorrick

Jorrick New Member

Yeah i need audio can it be fix?
  14. Charlie

Charlie New Member

15. nonfiniscequi

nonfiniscequi New Member

I need Android with Play Store and NO root. What about it?

Inviato dal mio HM2014811 utilizzando Tapatalk
  16. ChaosU

ChaosU New Member

Hi Linuxium
    I'm have been looking for something simular to what you do. But I just want it to be reversed (Android as default, and Windows on pen drive or mms card. Will this be possible or would it be a bad idea?
  17. Jorrick

Jorrick New Member

Yes it is possible i did it :D (do you have a backup of your Android ?)
  18. stefan9999

stefan9999 New Member

19. nonfiniscequi

nonfiniscequi New Member

20. ash.aryal

ash.aryal New Member

Hi Linuxium, I loaded the image onto an external hard drive (not USB) hoping it would give the,same result. I loaded my z64w into bios mode and put the hard drive to load first in the boot menu. It then got to the android OS but keeps freezing at the stage where it shows the intel logo and never progresses beyond that. Also, the last time i did it it loaded a dead android with a red exclamation mark over the android.

Any idea on what I could do to resolve this please?

Thanks