1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

edit: 256gb SDXC card now confirmed working!!

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by shutterslaps, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

What! You bought the same card or some sort of generic one?

Did you read @shutterslaps post above #13
  2. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

im a new user of this fantastic device. To move app to sd i have to root the device?
    Thank you
  3. Villa

Simple answer, Yes!

With an app like FolderMount you will be able to move app data not the app itself.

For example...
    Show Box - You can move downloads and cache to an external device.
    Games - You can move data and obb to an external device.
  4. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

thank you! Wich risk in root device? For example, after rooting i can update the firmware directly from the device?
  5. Villa

I think you can but you will lose root and have to root again.
    You can always unroot your device anyway!
  6. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

i see now that with the last firmware via ota i cant root. I have olny option to update from internet and not to select file like before updating last firmware.
  7. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

someone can help me:)
  8. Villa

I don't understand what you mean?
    And you didn't actually ask a question! :rolleyes:
  9. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

excuse my english: i sad, if i go to update firmware i dont find option to select file on usb or sd, i find olny option to update firmware via ota on wifi
    thank you:)
  10. Villa

No! Still don't get it. And still you are not asking a question.

Your original post was about rooting a device.

So what is the problem now? You have to tell us what it is you are wanting to do or what it is you have done!
  11. freelivorno

freelivorno New Member

I cant root because if i go to update firmware i cant see the option to load zip file from ext, i find olny the option to verify if there is a official firmware online
  12. Villa

Are you following the instructions here? I have copied and pasted in below what you need to do for root.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/patches-update-zip-root-unroot-system-mods-no-cwm-no-pc-needed.95/

Download the root update.zip
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/gufone/custom/shared/X8/update-gufone-root-x8.zip

HOW TO FLASH

1. Download the zipfile
    2. DO NOT UNZIP!, the zipfile IS the update package!
    3. Format a sdcard or usbstick to FAT32
    4. Put the .zip file on the root of the sdcard or usbstick

5. Power off the MINIX X8
    6. Insert the sdcard or usbstick
    7. Press the restore button with a pin (insert in the hole on the back) and keep it pressed
    8. Press the power button and keep it pressed till you see the boot logo, then release it
    9. Release the restore button

You will see a menu:
    1. Select : apply update from EXT ( using your keyboard cursor )
    2. Select : Update from Sdcard / Update from udisk (usb stick)
    3. Select the .zip file
    4. Press enter and wait until it is finished

When it is done select reboot and press enter.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  13. ecnirp98

ecnirp98 New Member

Out of curiousity, what are people storing on the large memory cards on the X8? I just bought an X8-Plus and was considering getting a 32/64GB memory card for storing add-on etc, I expect media would be on USB/Network drives etc, so what are the large local SD cards useful for storing?
  14. Villa

I thought you had an X8-H Plus?

I have both a 64GB SD card and a 64GB USB pendrive connected permanently to my devices. They are used for local storage of media, backups (apps apk, Kodi/XBMC userdata, etc.) and any other crap I care to store there. :)
  15. ecnirp98

ecnirp98 New Member

Yeah, I got an X8-H plus, I missed the H bit off !!! they should really name the models something abit more different !! I've found a decent 64GB SD for £15 on Amazon, so ordered that, just wanted to make sure there was no specific reason for adding more space.
  16. Villa

Some Android apps and Kodi add-ons allow you to configure a specific download location, so the external SD card is good for that.
    It is possible to move other Kodi elements to it too, but in my experience it isn't worth it!

How to move your Kodi userdata folder to external SD card...
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data_location_for_Android
  17. Ducati1098S

Ducati1098S New Member

hi Villa - Do you know if we can use an SDHC card for cache use and save/extend the life of the internal NAND flash chips ??

I looked at a lot of different forums and couldn't find an exact answer.

regards
  18. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Minix implementation of SDIO is to slow. I have used Link2SD to offload applications and it just about doubles the boot time (loading applications) compared to running them off internal flash.
    And it's not the cards, as I have SanDisk extreme Pro 95/90MB/sec read/write.

Sent from a Minix NEO X8-H Plus
  19. HKB

HKB New Member

Guys i am in a soup. I bought a 64Gb micro sdxc make toshiba and when i insert it in my new x8-h plus via the adaptor, the card does not seem to work. I checked in adv settings > storage, mount sd card is greyed out.

File explorer app sees only one device, i.e local storage

The card was originally exFAT, tried it in the x8-h plus and did not work.

Formatted it to FAT32 using mac, tried it in the device again, still the same issues.

The card reads and writes well on my mac though irrespective whether it is fat32 or exfat.

What is the problem, I fail to understand....
  20. Villa

It should work with either of those formats but have you tried NTFS?