1. Official MINIX forum

Factory Fresh Reset

Discussion in 'Z83-4 Guides & FAQs' started by Electric_Bikes_Pdx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

Electric_Bikes_Pdx New Member

Is there a guide to re-imaging a zd3-4 to 'out of the box' clean? I have 5 of these to scrub and would love a Minix provided image for a usb disk or something.

Thanks!
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

May I know why you have to "scrub" 5 of these?
  3. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

If you have to reset 5 devices maybe you also have one more never booted/started device (if not then buy one) and boot this device the first time straight to a USB-Pen-drive with e.g. Acronis True Image (or something similar) and take an image which you can restore at the other 5 devices...

EDIT: Spelling Correction ;)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Settings, Update & security, Recovery, Reset this PC
    newbie99 likes this.
  5. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

I miscounted. I only have 4. I am setting them up for a corporate rollout and wanted to get them ready before I had the Microsoft account information, so I used my personal Hotmail. After a few hours with Microsoft tech support, there is no way to remove my personal login from the computer without re-imaging it. We tried windows credentials, running it from a local account. etc. Additionally, I installed office 2010 and now the drive is bloated. If anyone has another idea on how to clean up my mess - I will PM them a code for purchasing Columbia Sportswear, Mt. Hardware, Prana, Sorel and Montrail items at employee prices!

Newbie 99 - I like the idea imaging a clean install and I do need one more of these... I totally understand Microsoft not wanting to have dish images floating around the web, but I wish there was a way to verify that I actually own these things and be able to download an image or program that authenticates me and scrubs it clean... (if you want a code for Columbia, etc. employee store, pm me)

Side note: Microsoft tech support and I found out is if you are trying to run Onedrive for business (office 365) and have it store its files on the TF card, the TF card has to be formatted in NTFS, or it will error out. Who knew?
  6. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

I have tried that with and without usb drive and it errors out. It downloads the image, verifies the download, starts going, then runs into a partition issue and errors out.
  7. Villa

I don't understand? With and without USB drive? There is nothing to download! You select Remove everything and you are back to out of box condition.

If you want a Windows image then you just go here and use the Media Creation Tool...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
  8. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

I obviously don't understand either. Here is what I did
    • I went to the Media Creation Tool link.
    • Selected 'using the tool to create installation media
    • Downloaded the tool
    • Ran the tool (with blank usb thumb drive installed
    • Accepted the license agreement
    • Selected 'install windows 10 on another computer' to create on the thumbdrive
    • The tool downloaded, then verified the download, then created the Windows 10 Media (took half hour or so)

formatting issue:

When completed, I ran the tool and got the following error message:
    " This PC Can't Run Windows 10: We Couldn't update the system reserved partition"
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2016
  9. Villa

Are the units all bootable in to Windows?
    If so, do this...
  10. Villa

...and does this not work?

How to remove a Microsoft account from your Windows 10 PC
    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Accounts.
    4. Scroll down and click the Microsoft account you'd like to delete.
    5. Click Remove.
    6. Click Yes.
  11. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

Have you tried resetting a Z83-4?

I have. It doesn't work - my bet is that the Zd3-4 runs on a Linux kernel that makes the standard Windows install support advice not work.

Here is what happened.

I went to Settings/Update and Security / Recovery /Reset this PC and chose Delete my files (non sterilized option).

The program:
    • Got things ready
    • downloaded the files
    • Verified the download
    • Ran the program
    • On reboot, the Minix Screen shows and it says 'Resetting this PC x%"
    • After Resetting, the system freezes up and then displays the error " There was a problem resetting your PC: No Changes were made"
    Back to square 1
  12. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Press F9 during boot will bring you to the reset menu.
    Electric_Bikes_Pdx and Villa like this.
  13. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

F9/ Troubleshoot: Reset your PC or use advanced option/ Reset This PC/ Remove Everything

Worked for 2 of them, didn't work for the other 2. My gut is that the SSHD didn't have enough space. Am going to image one that did reset and go from there. THANK YOU!
  14. Electric_Bikes_Pdx

On the two for which this didn't work, Windows just does work. The start menu doesnt work and on one, the 'wait circle' just hangs and I cant do anything.

I tried resetting the partition with the paperclip.

So, I have two clean installs and Acronis. Does anyone have a write up on how to image or clone one of these successfully?

best,

wake
  15. newbie99

What kind of HowTo???

You need a medium where you can place the Acronis True Image iso on (e.g. USB-pen https://www.google.com/search?q=acronis true image iso usb stick) to boot to ATI and you need medium to store the image.

I can't give an answer how you have to manage to boot from the media at Z83-4 (I don't own it)...

At ATI you have to select backup and there the whole internal SSD and at the end the name of the image and where you want to place it...
    Then you have to restore the image like the same way you had done the backup (of course you have to select restore)....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Acronis true image how to
  16. Villa

Acronis was not Windows 10 friendly! A quick search indicates that it might be now with latest version.
    Others have successfully used Macrium Reflect.
  17. newbie99

Also with the 'Acronis bootable media'? Isn't it with the installation at Wndows?
  18. Villa

I'm not sure what your question is?
  19. newbie99

I don't know what you mean if you wrote "... not Windows 10 friendly!" but I think you talk about ATI installed at windows and not the boot cd iso which is a Linux version of ATI and makes an image from a disc where ATI is not 'really' interested in the content (also which OS). I write 'really' because of course ATI check the filesystem and e.g. ignores hibernation and swap files at the image (stores only the info to generate it at the destination)...
  20. Villa

I simply meant, and had heard, that Acronis True Image is/was not Windows 10 compatible.