1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Faded colors on 4K material

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by ostepopp, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Hi, I am getting faded (washed out))colors on almoust all my 4k material on my U1. The same movies/tv shows downloaded in 1080p quality the colors are great and have punch. Got a 4k Samsung tv whit no HDR support. Have tryed XBMC 16.3, latest Kodi 17 and MX player. The result is the same. Anyone have the same problem or any tips of settings I can try to fix this?

Edit: I have read some more...is this becouse the the u1 dont support HDR and all HDR material will be displayed this way? If i buy the U9 will it fix this washed out 8bit color mode in 4k content I get on the U1 despite that my TV dont support HDR?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Yes !
    If you try to read a HDR movie with a no-HDR material the colors will be washed
    If you want to read them correctly then you'll have to change your TV AND the player (U9-H).

3. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have another question. I dont want to read them as HDR since I don´have a HDR TV. I want to watch them as 4K whitout the HDR part but with normal colors. Is there no way for the U1/U9 to donwscale/remove the HDR part so I can watch it as regular 4K whitout HDR since my tv dont support HDR? If not I am cinda ****ed and can´t watch mutch 4K material on my TV since almoust everything 4K comes out in HDR aswell these days?

4. skynet

You mean a HDR to SDR convertion.
    Well, it's not very easy : https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385584-Converting-UHD-HDR-to-SDR

5. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Yes its probably HDR to SDR convertion if SDR stands for 4k -HDR :) Thanks again for the answer. Then I guess I am ****ed and have to replace my 1 year old 65" 4K tv :(

6. skynet

If you want HDR, yes ...
    IMO, HDR is a big step with picture quality, better than having 4x more resolution than 1080p

7. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

And then you can keep the U1 for many other purposes but reading HDR. Because the new TV will read the 4K HDR content from a pen drive, that is what I did.

8. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Well i actualy dont want or need HDR. I want to play 4k content on my 4k tv. Its just moust 4K content comming out theese days are in only HDR. And there are not to my knowing a madia box aka U1/U9 that can just output 4K(SDR) whitout HDR. That would prevent the useless whased out colors I get now. So now I must DL 1080p content. The U1 will be used on another tv couse I did order the U9 before I got the info that I will not either play 4k HDR as 4k SDR on my 4k non HDR tv. Gotta save up for a new 4k hdr tv to watch 4k content then. And then I can watch 4k with the U9 :)

9. skynet

Maybe you can sell your TV and buy a new one with hdr built in?
    I agree, all new 4k stuff are now mostly Hdr.

Sent with my S7 edge

10. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Got a tip from another forum that android players will get support to output SDR from HDR sources. I also got a tip that this player already does a good job at it:
    Mod edit: Link removed
    If you look at the specs of that player, what do you think? Can it do it?
    Can Minix boxes get it? Is it HW or software/firmware thats lacking? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
  11. skynet

Send me the link using PM

12. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

@skynet: Have you had a chance to look into it, Do you think Minix U1 or U9 can get the same functionality to convert HDR to SDR as the A5 player?

13. skynet

I really don't know, as i'm not part of dev team
    You should ask to @MINIX - John and @MINIX - Martin

14. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

@MINIX - John and @MINIX - Martin : Question: Do you think Minix U1 or U9 can get the same functionality to convert HDR to SDR as the A5 Egreat player? I actually just recived my U9 and it has a HDR option in the settings. What does that do?

15. skynet

Hi,

I don't think so.
    Cuurent HDR options are here to tell the TV to switch to HDR mode or not.
    If your TV is not HDR capable then HDR movies will be washed, there's nothing to resize 10bits hdr to 8bits non hdr.

16. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Thanks again. Could you ask one of the Minix dev team guys if thats something they can implement? Not sure if I can reatch them :)

17. skynet

18. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

For HDR to SDR conversion you need HDR Video Engine support in the AMLogic devices Visual Processing Unit (VPU) plus support in the Linux Kernel.

The AMLogic S912 HDR capable U9-H has this.
    The AML S905 SDR only - U1 does Not.

So summing up.

You CAN get HDR to SDR conversion for viewing HDR content on your 4K SDR TV from the U9 with good color output both when using Android Kodi and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. I've personally tested this on my older non-HDR 4K TV.

On the U1 (or any S905) you will get washed out colors every time no matter what media player software you use.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    gymnos and skynet like this.
  19. skynet

Is there a special setting for it ?

20. ostepopp

ostepopp New Member

Thanks for the info wrxtasy. I also wonder if there is a setting for this or if it detect it automaticly? I have replaced the U1 and belive the colors are better on the U9 on 4K HDR movies.