1. Official MINIX forum

Tutorial Fake WiFi - how to trick apps asking for WiFi

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8 Guides and FAQs' started by adi_tca, Feb 19, 2015.

1. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

Hi guys,

As I was digging some time ago around a solution on how to trick some apps (especially for TV streams) that have been designed for mobile devices (smartphones/tablets) to work over WiFi, but you want to use the ethernet port, not WiFi.

I remembered about the "old" Xposed Module Repository and found the trick. This is how I did it and for the TV streaming apps I'm using, this is working fine.

1. Root your Minix
    You need to root your Minix, have a look here: http://minixforum.com/threads/patches-update-zip-root-unroot-system-mods-no-cwm-no-pc-needed.95/

2. Xposed Module Repository
    Get the Xposed Installer apk from here: http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer. I used 2.6.1, latest stable one

3. Install Framework within Xposed Installer
    Open the Xposed Installer, click "Framework" and click "Install/Update". It will ask you to reboot

4. Fake WiFi connection
    Now we need find our "guy" that will help us to trick the WiFi. Within Xposed Installer, click "Download", then the magnifier and search for "fake WiFi". You'll see a list of apps, one of them being "Fake WiFi connection". Click on it, then click on the repository link. Download & install the "com.lemonsqueeze.fakewificonnection_v9_3880da.apk". Install it & reboot.

5. Final steps
    Open Xposed Installer ->Modules, enable Fake WiFi app checkbox
    Open Fake WiFi app and you will get a list of all your apps. Check "enable" any app that you want to be tricked.

Done.

Hope this help you guys, for the apps I'm using this is working fine.

Cheers
    trent, avgust, MaxeL and 2 others like this.
  2. Sydney

Sydney Member

This is a work around for a problem inherent in many Android Apps. They assume if you're not on WiFi then you are on Cellular and that data might cost you. They forget all about other connection methods (such as Ethernet). It would be nice if app developers or perhaps Android itself could be changed to perhaps check for "Not on Cellular" instead of "On WiFi" this way things would just work when you were connected by another means (such as Ethernet).

In the meantime, is there any way Minix could integrate the "Fake WiFi" workaround into the firmware? Obviously we're never going to be nailed with cellular data charges!
  3. JimBobVFR

JimBobVFR Active Member

I've already done this and it's working very well for me too. Nice to have a guide for others though.
  4. Roneng

Roneng New Member

+1 for getting this into firmware!
  5. adi_tca

Well, it would be great if this would be added into the FW, without the need to root the box & use Xposed module & fake WiFi. There is a request for this functionality also already in the corresponding forum section (FW wish list), hopefully Minix may have a look.
    Especially since, once rooted, some applications will not work, like some banking apps, or paid live TV apps from TV operators (like SkyTV or TelekomTV).
    les.pinter likes this.
  6. jotabe12

jotabe12 New Member

+1 for getting this into firmware!
  7. mauro.stefancic

mauro.stefancic New Member

…working fine…tnx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

9. Yes that i totally understand Ken. Any other approach is also fine as long as we are able to overcome this issue without the need of rooting.
    Can we expect a solution for this in the upcoming release ?
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Also we need a list of APPs that we could verify if our approach works or not.
    Please provide the list of APPs.
  11. Asphalt 8 doesnt launch without WiFi
    Trankmast likes this.
  12. adi_tca

I'm not sure how you are going to address this, but a native solution from Minix will help a lot of us, we could then use the ethernet port also for the apps designed to use only WiFi or mobile networks.
    The Fake WiFi app is listing all the installed apps and lets you choose which one to fake, so maybe you may take similar approach, rather than trying to create a list of apps?

When it comes to some WiFi apps examples, I could point out to few ones I am aware of, as using WiFi:
    - Spotify
    - Xfinity TV Go (never used it, it's geo restricted to my knowledge, you may need a testing account from one of the forum users that is having it)
    - Real Racing 3
  13. Svend Erik

Svend Erik New Member

Hi,

The Viaplay app also have this issue.

/Svend
    Afmenemy likes this.
  14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Are you sure about spotify? I'm not near my box to check right now, but spotify was working before though I haven't used it in awhile.
  15. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Yep, Spotify works via ethernet no probs!
  16. adi_tca

It may have changed Higgs, I haven't used it for quite some time (more than 6 months, I guess). I see Villa is confirming that it's working over ethernet also, so it's not a good example.
    "Modern Combat 5: Blackout" seems to be working via WIFi only, as another example (though I haven't tested by myself yet). I saw this comment on another site.
  17. vn800art

vn800art Member

18. Atron

Atron New Member

NBC sports live extra app has this problem too, would great if there was an update for this.
  19. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

This app works via ethernet!