1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Tutorial Fake WiFi - how to trick apps asking for WiFi

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8 Guides and FAQs' started by adi_tca, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Hans-Jürg

Hans-Jürg New Member

Villa: you are smarter than me, you got me, you won... happy now? o_O

Yes, my box was death and I made it back to live. Maye I got a wrong (oder) Firmware. You know, I'm not so familiar with this matter.
    Imagine, outside of your world there are people who are not famliar with this matter, who are not fluent understandig English and maybe they are a little bit (very) older than you. So their brain don't work so quick anymore.
    So please have a little patience with me. Thank you. :whistle:

As I wrote, I will download and install the newes firmware (hopefully I don't kill my box again). And if it works I'm happy.
  2. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

I was reading a bit your complains above, but you say nothing in detail about you real issue(s). So I am trying to summarize here, instead of you doing this:
    1. you have two Minix devices, one X6 and one X8-H Plus

2. you never mentioned which firmware release do you have, so please post it here (the OTA app name is "System update"), it should be something like KOTxx.20150831 for your X8H-Plus

3. you have an ethernet cable connected to your box, you checked the "ethernet" setting, instead of the WiFi one, but "99%" of your apps do not work. That is quite strange, 1st time I hear this.
    - Please mention at least couple of those apps that do not work for you. The main responsibility is belonging to the developers of the applications themselves
    - You need to know few things:
    * most of the applications are built for smart mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) , which DO NOT have an ethernet port.
    * fastest option, if you do not have the latest firmware, is to upgrade, see HERE for you X8-H Plus. You will have the option for fake WiFi in settings (ethernet option has to be checked also). My tutorial was written before Minix added this option in their X8 series firmware, so no need to root the box. I am not sure if this option was added into X6 007A firmware, you can read the change log HERE.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  3. Hans-Jürg

Hans-Jürg New Member

Hello all

My excuses if I offend someone...
    Now I manually downloaded the actual firmware and the Fake WiFi is working.
    So for me my world is OK again.

Thank for your help.

PS: I don't know what version of firmware I had before. I didn't find the Ver.Number anywhere. But it seems to bee an older one. The OTA-Update did always say, that I have the most acutal one.
    vn800art, HardwareGuru and Higgs like this.
  4. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

For future reference! :)
    There is no reference to a version number. The build number is what tells us which firmware is installed. (y)

Screenshot_2015-09-18-23-50-13.png
    Hans-Jürg likes this.
  5. adi_tca

You are not offending anybody, it's just a matter of how you describe your issue. Generic questions are getting generic answers, or no answers, so it would be good to always give as many details as possible to get an answer from somebody here.
    If you go to the doctor you just tell him you have a pain and expect him to guess what would be wrong?
    Hans-Jürg and vn800art like this.
  6. Pablox68

Pablox68 New Member

Hans the good news is after some mistakes now you are expert of maintenance.
    Hans-Jürg and vn800art like this.
  7. Hans-Jürg

Hans-Jürg New Member

Yes. I'm learning on the hard way :)
    vn800art likes this.
  8. jsegovia612

jsegovia612 Member

Hi. I had never tested the Minix fake wifi option. I did it two weeks ago and it is definitely the best choice for me. But I have a problem since then. My Spotify is behaving as the one on mobile phones. I just can shuffle songs instead of playing whatever I want, as it has always been since the first time I downloaded the app.

I just can blame the ethernet disguised as wifi option, because is the only different thing I've done. My Spotify account is not premium, but it is free with ads, but is behaving like the ones on phones and not on tablets, as usual.

I have a Minix X8-H with the latest firmware. Thanks
  9. adi_tca

I don't use Spotify to check, but if you use it with your Minix over WiFi only and not over Ethernet + WiFi disguised option, does it behave the same? If yes, then you can say the WiFi disguised option is creating the issue, otherwise it could be something else. Just my thoughts...
    wanderer10 likes this.
  10. Xmode

Xmode New Member

Wow, this is what i need.
    I connected my U1 to Ethernet for faster streaming, but opted to wifi and disconnected my ethernet since i'll be using kodi for Casting video and MiraCast as well.
    i hope this works. (i'll test this later) (y)

EDIT; just realize this is x8 thread. Does U1 has this function?
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. adi_tca

I don't have the U1, but the Fake WiFi option has been added for U1 also in FW 005, if I remember correctly. Fake WiFi is meant to be used to trick those apps that works only over WiFi, while you are connected over Ethernet.
  12. nicknack35

nicknack35 Member

Anybody know if NBC sports app works with this new firmware upgrade please. i have a paid NBC sports but cannot use it on the u1 at mo it keeps saying error trying to download data? highlights exc are ok to play via ethernet but live streams exc and replays do not only wi fi
  13. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator