1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

FAQ First steps with the U1 ...

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Guides & FAQs' started by newbie99, May 5, 2016.

1. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

a.) FirmWare update by using the blue OTA app by MINIX (maybe again and again till you are at the latest version (at the moment fw010 http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u1-fw010-20161012.14475/ ))
    [​IMG]

NOTE:
    and also e.g. 'force RGB option' at Android-settings

b.) If exist, uninstall the preinstalled KODI 16 Alpha 4

ba.) Install the
    - MINIX XBMC (at the moment 16.3 beta which you will find at post #1 at the fw thread above (also how to install it and setup passthrough))
    -- (latest final 15.3 http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-xbmc-v15-3-final.13111/)
    - SPMC (http://spmc.semperpax.com/)
    - and maybe the latest KODI release (https://kodi.tv/download/)
    (all three works parallel and can be installed at the same time).
    Checkout which version you will use and customize it...
    Important: the official KODI has a pass-through issue which also effects MINIX XBMC and SPMC (after using KODI you should reboot/-start the U1 before useing one of the other both versions)

bb.)
    You can use 'ES File Explorer' to install a downloaded *.APK (ES will also link you at the first time to the settings where you have to allow to install from unknown sources...)

c.) Install whatever you need/want...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

XBMC/KODI

Something you should know about Kodi v17 “Krypton” and the U1:
    =>

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Marm, skynet and Higgs like this.
  2. skynet

skynet Active Member

Thanks for the FAQ Newbie ;)
    Perhaps you can add :

first step with :
    - the SAMBA connection
    - Use a FTP
    - Use the A2 lite and how to add the keyboard patch
    - Advices to upgrade important components (Google play, etc ...)

So this FAQ could grow and the link given to all new users :)
  3. KrisW6

KrisW6 New Member

What keyboard patch?
  4. skynet

skynet Active Member

5. KrisW6

KrisW6 New Member

6. Simon WEAVER

Simon WEAVER New Member

Many thanks for this - Is there a specific reason why you recommend installing both XBMC Minix and SPMC?
  7. newbie99

"Checkout which version you will use and customize it..." :)
  8. Simon WEAVER

Simon WEAVER New Member

Many thanks - will search this forum for key differences...
  9. newbie99

At the moment MINIX XBMC is 15.3 and SPMC is 16.x ... I know e.g. some addons and some skins does not work at every release version... SPMC and KODI have the same release version (at the moment)... IF I'm not wrong at the moment e.g. SPMC has some more settings at video hw-acceleration...
  10. newbie99

THX... but I want to keep it as simple as possible for beginners... I think SAMBA, FTP and so on is more interesting for advanced users...
    Took the keyboard patch and added it at post #1
    skynet likes this.
  11. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Use Delete! ;)
  12. JcTcom

JcTcom New Member

Ok I am probably being dense or something. But for the life of me I cannot find the Minix XBMC Version 16.3?

In the quote above it refers to "Post #1". But isn't that "Post #1"?

In any case I have looked everywhere I could think of and have still come up empty. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Carl
  13. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

he means post#1 in the firmware thread he points to in a)

yes its not very clear and quite a few members have commented and asked nicely for the minix xbmc release forum to be tidied up but nothing forthcoming yet !
  14. JcTcom

JcTcom New Member

Yeah. Already did the firmware. Will probably do the SMPC tomorrow. I ended up using the link to the "Update" that was in that post. I hadn't tried it earlier because I thought it was an "Update" and might require an actual installation first. In any case it's done now.

Thanks.
  15. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

It has sort have been slightly tidied up! o_O

V16.3 is also referenced here...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-xbmc-v15-3-final.13111/
  16. JcTcom

JcTcom New Member

17. Danadina

Danadina New Member

Hi, I just bought myself a camera Minix Neo U1 and rookie utilizare.Am questions are what are the differences between Kodi XBMC and? Can run both of them? it makes sense?
  18. newbie99

Are you read post #1 ?
  19. Danadina

Danadina New Member

Thanks for the reply
  20. BJB

BJB New Member

First, thanks for the FAQ! It helps pull some things together for us new users.

I am waiting for my U1 to be delivered and trying to do some research. My question is what does the U1 ship with pre-installed from Minix as it relates to XBMC and Kodi? I researched and see different answers and that might be a good item to put in this FAQ.

I saw your recommendation to uninstall Kodi IF Kodi Alpha 4 it is pre-installed, and then install XBMC, Kodi, and SPMC (see with your FAQ I almost sound like I know what I am talking about! :) ) Is this the case only if Kodi Alpha 4 is installed or should I uninstall any Kodi if pre-installed?

Once all three are installed and in use, can you update them individually without having to uninstall, re-install another?

Thanks,
    BJB