1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

FW 6.0.A - No more simultaneous HDMI and headphone audio?

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Official Firmware Releases' started by vel tins, Jul 19, 2015.

1. vel tins

vel tins Member

I just upgraded from FW 4 to FW 6.0.A and noticed, that HDMI and audio out (headphone) doesn't work at the same time any more?
    Only headphone audio works now.
    Any chance to revert this annoying behaviour, except of restoring FW 4?
    Box is rooted, so I'am able to replace files/configs from FW 4, if necessary.
    thanks in advance
    erocs likes this.
  2. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

It was a bug which is now corrected. The MINIX team will try to make an on/off switch for simultaneous hdmi & headphone audio.
    erocs likes this.
  3. vel tins

vel tins Member

ah, ok thanks.
    For now, after replacing a few files in lib/hw and a reboot, I have revived simultaneous hdmi & headphone audio.
    Will wait for a better solution...
    erocs likes this.
  4. ENDRJUPL

Can you upload those files? Other users may benefit from it.
    erocs likes this.
  5. vel tins

vel tins Member

outrage_uk and erocs like this.
  6. erocs

erocs New Member

Thanks for this...I believe I can do this...but I would rather not root the device at this time...so I will wait for the official solution, if there isn't one, I will do this.
  7. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Why doing that? We are making a ON/OFF switch for all.
    erocs likes this.
  8. outrage_uk

outrage_uk Member

Because firmware releases can take weeks and we are constantly let down by empty promises by manufacturers (nothing personal to you or Minix)

This solution takes 5 minutes :D

HDMI / headphone output is important for people that have hearing difficulties and uses the headphone socket for an induction loop.
  9. MINIX - Ken

We made the switch, we are working on other things like youtube fix, 3d fix, adding ethernet faked wifi status...etc.
    We don't make empty promises.
    Dr Goodvibes and Menorca Man like this.
  10. outrage_uk

outrage_uk Member

As said, the comment wasn't personal to you or to Minix, only manufacturers in general that only sometimes listen to their customers and when they do, takes a long time to implement changes. It would be nice to see you on behalf of Minix been an exception!

Only had the Neo X8-H Plus a few weeks, its my first Android box and im very impressed so far - only sound via HDMI and headphone socket means my deaf grandfather can't use his induction loop anymore since upgrading. Looking forward to the next firmware release.

@MINIX - Ken , Have you read this thread: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/firmware-naming-suggestion.6850/
  11. erocs

erocs New Member

I was the first one to bring up this problem as I am hard of hearing. I am perfectly fine waiting for Minix to make changes, as they have proven in the past and continue to do so, that they listen to their customers. I think that your "outrage_uk" avatar says something about how you word your requests and complaints. If you are now trying to say that it wasn't personal to Ken or Minix, why would you bother to complain about Manufacturers in general on the Minix site?
  12. outrage_uk

outrage_uk Member

@erocs With all due respect, that is your choice to happily wait for Minix to release another update, however I think it was particularly rude of Minix Ken to disregard vel tins' solution to the problem you brought up! I would imagine by your unwillingness to root your device, you are quite an inexperienced user of android, which is no doubt why you are choosing to wait for official releases - again - this is your choice. Im not sure if your aware how android forums usually work (xda, android central, android forums), but there is generally a feeling of others helping each other, not a case of a manufacturer speaks and everyone accepts what they say. You know nothing about my situation, my grandfather is almost totally deaf and realises on the induction loop for communication locally AND Skype remotely. Since firmware "20150708" I either have to leave his Minix system disconnected or the entire loop system. This was a big problem that needed addressing and kindly enough, vel tin gave the solution.

@Villa I have no idea what you are talking about, I never added an Avatar?
  13. ENDRJUPL

Aren't we helping each other here? I asked the user who found the solution to share it with "how to" instructions, so that others could benefit from it while Minix team develops an official solution. He provided it (Thank you for that), the Minix team will add the feature in the August firmware. How is this not helpful? I believe that about 5(!) users asked about this feature and it's going to be delivered. I'm not so sure that that would happen if 5 users asked e.g. your phone manufacturer to implement the same feature (or other).
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Sorry my mistake! I picked up on @erocs comment about your avatar in which he actually was referring to your member name.
    I got confused over another members avatar which I find a little disturbing.
    It's not you, sorry!
  15. erocs

erocs New Member

Actually you have no idea whether I am inexperienced or not, I'm not inexperienced, and I am well aware of the forums you speak about. I also appreciated the fix the vel tins came up with. I mentioned that I have a Raspberry Pi 2 that I can use when I need my headphones, and while I am waiting. I can also use the Minix when I am home alone and can use the headphones solely.

I can only guess by your name "outrage_uk" that you often have an axe to grind. In this case I thought it was totally unwarranted which is why I decided to reply. What does "manufacturer speaks and everyone accepts what they say" have to do with this issue which the manufacturer had already stated they would fix. How do you know "everyone" accepts what they say? If you are experienced as you seem to be why didn't you just apply vel tins solution and have that be the end of it until the new firmware comes out?

You think Ken responded rudely? I think you did to a non issue.

the end
  16. outrage_uk

outrage_uk Member

Some people are.

It was the original reply from "Minix Ken" that I found a little out of order, that is all. I will be very grateful for the August "firmware".

No this originates from a team name years ago that has simply been used ever since.

In the same way I thought it was unwarranted in the way "vel tins" posted a solution and "Minix Ken" disregarded it without even a positive acknowledgement.

In this instance, I was meaning yourself. A solution has been found and you are choosing to ignore it. That is fine obviously, but those who do not wish to wait around have another option. Just to remind you it has already been 25 days since the "20150708" "firmware" was released, and by their own admission, they are working on other things.

I did, but as I said, I thought "Minix - Ken" reply was rather ungrateful and rude in respect to the original question.

Agreed.
  17. MINIX - Ken

The switch is ready for the coming update:
    audioswitch.jpg
    Menorca Man and Frederick_99 like this.
  18. MINIX - Ken

? :eek:
  19. MINIX - Ken

"Why doing that? We are making a ON/OFF switch for all." - As always, I personally don't support any actions that need root access.
    "We made the switch, we are working on other things like youtube fix, 3d fix, adding ethernet faked wifi status...etc." - It's a brief status report of our work done.
    "We don't make empty promises." - We really don't like making empty promises.

My replies were rather ungrateful and rude??? :eek:o_O
    Menorca Man likes this.
  20. erocs

erocs New Member

Thanks Ken and crew....much appreciated!
    MINIX - Ken likes this.