1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Release G4-108A/108C 005 FW (20140530)

Discussion in 'NEO G4 Official Firmware Releases' started by MINIX - Ken, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear NEO-G4 users,

Links for the new firmware, please identify your version (A or C) before proceeding to download,
    wrong firmware will result in a bricked unit.
    NEO G4-108A:
    http://minix.com.hk/firmware/NEO_G4_108A_20140530.rar
    NEO G4-108C:
    http://minix.com.hk/firmware/NEO_G4_108C_20140530.rar

The version number is 005 as we spent the number 003/004 for internal testing;

MINIX NEO G4 20140530 (version 005) 4.2.2 firmware
    Release Date: 2014-06-01
    Change log:
    1.) New boot screen;
    2.) Battery level modified from 0% to 100%;
    3.) Fixed IR remote wakeup issue;
    4.) Preloaded latest version of MINIX edition XBMC (720P only);
    5.) Added screensaver feature;
    6.) New NEO A2 airmouse logic, FF/RW/PLAY keys modified to Android standard protocol;
    7.) Default screen size changed to 100%;
    8.) System bar hidden by default (long press menu key to call out);
    9.) Removed low clock frequencies;
    10.) Added the new MINIX Metro launcher;

Regards,
    Team MINIX.

HardwareGuru likes this.
  2. Rui Duarte

Rui Duarte New Member

I updated my Neo G4 with great results. It has XMBC integrated and some nice apps. Additionally i had a problem with a payTV app (Portugal) that was fixed with this upgrade. Keep the good work !

MINIX - Ken likes this.
  3. Jinx

Jinx New Member

Hi there, is there any 1080p Version of 4.2.2 aviable?
    I don't need XBMC or Video Streaming, just 1080p for full HD pictures.

4. Mario

Mario Member

I dont know how to updated fw,with PC or? Please help.

5. KAR

KAR Developer Super Moderator

Hi Mario,

The PC with rkbatchtool should be used to install a new firmware. See the instructions below:
    1. Download the Firmware and decompress it to one Folder.
    2. The "usb driver" Folder has the NEO G4 Driver for different Windows Operation Systems.
    3. Included in the same file the Firmware file, format is .img.
    4. Get your Neo G4, and find the "Recovery" button (little Hole on the Side).
    5. Take a Paper Clip and carefully press the Recover button, you can feel it when you insert to that hole.
    6. Press the Recover button, and then at the same time, connect the NEO G4 with your PC via OTG cable.
    7. Your PC will find a new Device, and inform you to install the Driver, start the windows "Device Manager" and find the unkown Device, and update it with the Driver from the folder you just downloaded
    8. Open the "RKBatchtool" the flash tool, if you have installed the Driver correctly, you will see a green button, if not, you will see a pink button, then try to install Driver again
    9. Choose the Firmware you just download, and click Restore button.
    Have Fun
    KAR

Mario likes this.
  6. Mario

Mario Member

Thanks!

7. ReneAmaya

ReneAmaya New Member

Hello:

I want to do a firmware update and I cant find information on which one I need to use. I was hoping you can point me to the right one that I have to do. Also, I haven't done a firmware update before so can I just do the latest one, or do I have to do the old ones first and make my way to the latest one? Here are pictures of the tags on the box if that helps:

DSCN9456 - Copy (1024x768).jpg DSCN9457 (1024x768).jpg

Thank You,
    Rene

8. KAR

Hi Rene,

You seems to have the 108a Version see:

G4 with serial number beginning with JG4DONGL1305 and after are C version. (e.g. JG4DONGL1305xxxxxx, JG4DONGL1306xxxxxx, JG4DONGL1307xxxxxx...etc)

G4 with serial number beginning with JG4DONGL12xxxxxxxx to JG4DONGL1304xxxxxx are A version.

Fw can be downloaded in:

http://minixforum.com/threads/rom-update-zip-flashable-official-firmware.97/
    or
    http://minix.com.hk/firmware/NEO_G4_108A_20140530.rar

KAR

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. ReneAmaya

ReneAmaya New Member

Thank You KAR.
    I installed it and it is a great improvement from the stock firmware.
    The main issue I am having now is that XBMC plays 1080p Video choppy, and the 720p Video is slightly choppy. And I have tried 4 different types of XBMC apps and the best one that played was the SPMC app, but it was still choppy. Is there a custom ROM, that was the latest, that will play 1080p clearly?
    I just updated the ROM on a MK808 Finless and it is working beautifully. I want this Neo G4 to work the same as that.
    Just curious, can the ROM for the MK808 work on this unit or will it brick it?

Thanks
    Rene

10. KAR

Hi Rene,

I have used Beyond XBM before which works fine for me.

Try: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2655622

KAR

11. ReneAmaya

ReneAmaya New Member

Hello KAR:

I tried the stock MINIX XBMC first, then tried the Android Official XBMC, then I tried the Beyond XBMC, which I had learned about here, and last, I tried the SPMC. The SPMC is the one that has gotten me the best results out of the 4 but has still caused some choppiness during 1080p video playback. I used the same movies to compare.

Should I install a later 1080p version of your firmware? I want XBMC to be usable.

Thank You
    Rene

12. KAR

Playing via wifi ?

13. ReneAmaya

ReneAmaya New Member

Yes, I am because the unit does not have an Ethernet port. The unit is only a few feet away from the WiFi router. They are all being tested in the same spot and on the same TV. I did the testing on the MK808 the same way (spot, TV, connection, etc. ).

Thanks

14. KAR

Pfff & g4 1080p via wifi .. Pfff don't think it will work. What about a rj45 USB adapter ? Worked fine for me. Arround 6 euro I believe... If you want I can give the specific part no.

Kar

15. ReneAmaya

ReneAmaya New Member

I don't think it is a WiFi problem because I can stream video from the internet, my surveillance cameras, etc. with no problem. It is only when I want to play 1080p video through XBMC. There is no problem moving within XBMC and everything is being updated as it should.

16. KAR

Assume your Video stream from the internet is not 1080p. I have only Wired before as using wifi I had buffering issues. Still think 1080p will not work via wifi. Anyway this is the one I have ordered (at dealextreme) and which worked perfectly at my G4. I have used it together with and USB HUB. See Links below:

DX USB Network dongle (4,65 Euro)
    DX USB HUB (3,24 Euro)

Using the USB Hub as I also had a mele F10 attached.

Cannot test any firmware for the G4 now as I don't have my G4 anymore.

Thanks
    KAR

17. laoko

laoko New Member

I'm trying to download the firmware for 108C but it never finishes. It stops at about 10%. This seems to be the case with earlier versions as well.

Are there any mirrors, or alternatively, am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

18. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Try using a download manager. I use Free Download Manager on my pc and it downloads in a fraction of the time.

19. AndrewT

AndrewT New Member

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help?

I purchased a NEO G4 in Singapore a few years back (but it had a European plug for some reason) and I have since lost the box it came in. The actual device doesn't have any serial numbers printed on it.

The only information I can think might be useful is the MAC address and the build number (NEO G4 A1.X_NEO_G4_V10_20121019)

Is there any way I can find out if I have the 108A or C model without the serial number? Or am I left with a device I can't upgrade?

Many thanks!

20. laoko

laoko New Member

Thanks! That worked really well.