1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Guide (Newer Drivers) - Installing Drivers After Clean-Installation of Windows 10 x64

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4 Guides & FAQs' started by The IT Master Wizard, Jun 2, 2018.

1. So in my organization we are using Windows 10 2016 LTSB on a MINIX Z83-4 Pro and will be deployed in a Kiosk. I wanted to make sure I could get everything I could out of this little PC. In my opinion, due to the SSD size, Minix should have deployed these with Windows 10 LTSB not, Home or Pro, with all of the Feature Upgrades for Home or Pro, it’s just too much for these little things.

I work in IT and spent pretty much the whole day getting it the way I wanted. So here is my 2 cents of contribution here to help people.

I initially downloaded the “Z83-4_device_drivers_Win10_64bit.rar” package from these forums to obtain the drivers. I used PnPUtil.exe, a Windows command line function to install them all.

So for example, the downloaded drivers when extracted, there is a folder named “Z83-4_device_drivers_Win10_64bit”. Then in there is a folder called “Z83-4_device_drivers”. Then in there are subfolders for each driver type as shown below:

- Audio
    - Bluetooth
    - BM
    - DPTF
    - GPIO
    - I2C
    - ISH
    - MBI
    - PMIC
    - PSS
    - SPI
    - Touch
    - TXEI
    - UART
    - Wireless

Instead of going to Device Manager and doing them individually I can achieve the same result much better and easier by running this command:

PnPUtil.exe /ADD-DRIVER "C:\TEMP\Z83-4_device_drivers_Win10_64bit\Z83-4_device_drivers\*.inf" /INSTALL /SUBDIRS

This will add each *.inf to the Windows Driver Store and install the drivers on all matching and detected devices connected.

Now the PROBLEM is some of these drivers are old and some aren’t needed or even work.

But first, I will show how to get all the drivers directly instead of relying on MINIX.

Downloading the Chipset Drivers:

System-on-a-Chip (SOC) Driver Package for STK1A32SC - Version: 604 (Latest) Date: 7/25/2016 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26190/System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-for-STK1A32SC

Intel® Trusted Execution Engine Interface (Intel® TXEI) Driver for STK1A32SC - Version: 2.0.0.1094 (Latest) Date: 7/25/2016 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26189

Installing the drivers contained in these above packages with PnPUtil.exe leaves me with the following driver folders remaining:

- Bluetooth
    - BM
    - DPTF
    - PSS
    - Touch
    - Wireless

Now the BM, PSS, and Touch folders seem to be for tablets, BM is a battery management driver, PSS is a RFID device driver, and Touch is for a touch screen. From what I can tell those are not needed at all on the Z83-4 and the PSS drivers BSODed the MINIX. So I deleted those 3 folders. So we are left with:

- Bluetooth
    - DPTF
    - Wireless

Bluetoothhttps://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom%20-%20Other%20hardware%20-%20Broadcom%20Serial%20Bus%20Driver%20over%20UART%20Bus%20Enumerator

Download the “5/6/2016 12.0.1.961 444 KB” version. Minix provides this version, just showing where to get it. So you don’t need to worry about this one, however, with the MINIX version I get asked if I want to accept the Unknown Publisher, I do not get that with the one directly from Microsoft, or with any other drivers I get directly, and there are 4 drivers from MINIX that give me that warning which made automating the install of the drivers difficult. Which led me on this whole thing.

DPTF - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel%20Dynamic%20Platform%20and%20Thermal%20Framework

Download the “3/9/2017 8.2.11004.3973 4.6 MB” version. Minix comes with 2015 driver, you will now have a 2017 one.

Wireless - http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=broadcom+802.11ac

Download the “10/19/2017 1.596.33.0 1.2 MB“ version. Minix comes with 2016 driver. You will now have a 2017 one, make sure to copy the “4345r6nvram.txt” to “C:\Windows\System32\drivers” folder as explained in this forum. You will need to get it from MINIX.

So as you can tell, I found newer drivers than what’s provided by MINIX. I had patience and searched the Microsoft Update Catalog and looking at the compatible Hardware IDs. Google helped as well with searching the HW IDs.

Now these drivers need to be installed in a specific order. For example if the Chipset drivers are not installed you will not see any Display adapters so installing the Graphics driver will not work if you do not do this.

So I had to break the PnPUtil command into two commands to run. So I created two folders named “Pass 1” and “Pass 2”.

The “Pass 1” folder contains the following drivers: Get these folders from the Chipset Drivers link I provided as well as the drivers from Microsoft. None of the below should contain anything provided by MINIX but you will need the “4345r6nvram.txt” file.

- Audio
    - GPIO
    - I2C
    - ISH
    - MBI
    - PMIC
    - SPI
    - UART

The “Pass 2” folder contains the following drivers:

- Bluetooth
    - DPFT
    - TXE
    - WLAN

Here are my commands now:

1. PnPUtil.exe /ADD-DRIVER "C:\TEMP\Drivers\MINIX Drivers\Z83-4 Pro\PnPUtil\Pass 1\*.inf" /INSTALL /SUBDIRS

2. CD "C:\TEMP\Drivers\MINIX Drivers\Z83-4 Pro\PnPUtil\Pass 2\WLAN\Broadcom_80211ac_WDI_SDIO_Adapter"

3. COPY "C:\TEMP\Drivers\MINIX Drivers\Z83-4 Pro\PnPUtil\Pass 2\WLAN\Broadcom_80211ac_WDI_SDIO_Adapter\4345r6nvram.txt" "C:\Windows\System32\drivers"

4. PnPUtil.exe /ADD-DRIVER "C:\TEMP\Drivers\MINIX Drivers\Z83-4 Pro\PnPUtil\Pass 2\*.inf" /INSTALL /SUBDIRS

From a clean-installation of Windows 10 x64 on the very first boot if you install all of the above you will have 3 devices in Device Manager appear with warning signs, that’s because some of these won’t work until the PC is rebooted. Once rebooted you will see the “Display Adapters” showing and the “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. Now you can install the latest Graphics Driver from Intel, linked below.

Intel Graphics driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-8-1-for-STK1A32SC

The Realtek PCIe Ethernet Driver is also easily found here, choose the Windows 10 package:

www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

This should provide you with all you need to complete Device Manager and update your drivers. I have not tested them long obviously but they seem to be working fine.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Nice tutorial, many thanks for this! :)

Sent with my S7 edge using Tapatalk

3. TMITectonic

TMITectonic New Member

Oh, my... you really went all out on this post and you are a damned saint for doing so! You've even taught me a couple of new tricks for my "IT Toolbelt", so double thanks to you!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the main use case for your NEOs? Any other tips you may have are most definitely welcome, but I am super happy from this post alone! Kudos.