1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Custom ROM HardwareGuru 5.0 HLS/DRM for X5mini

Discussion in 'NEO X5 mini Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by HardwareGuru, Jul 24, 2014.

1. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

HardwareGuru 5.0 with full HLS support

=======================================================
    Specs:
    - DRM root detection disabled
    - Full HLS streaming support
    etc...

Known bugs:
    - none yet

Kernel is outside boot.img so can be changed !

That was the less important .. now the important things..
    What does it do?

LIVE Streaming Apps ( HLS ):
    - Root detection disabled (DRM), we need to test this !
    - All HLS app should work, YES ALL !!

Tested apps: these where broken on rockchip!
    - NPO (fully functional)
    - RTLXL (fully functional)
    - 3FM (fully functional) also the cam!
    - NPO FIFA 2014 (fully functional)

Need root?
    Remember Root breaks some apps for root detection!
    This is a basic non rooted rom for a simple reason.
    - Everyone that needs root can mostly root it..
    - People that dont need or want it mostly dont know how to unroot a firmware.
    I made rooting over adb simple so most tutorials will work to root it. (ro.secure=0)
    Tool to root: http://xbmc.hardwareguru.nl/MinixNeoX7_Utility.zip

Flash Notes: ( READ this )
    - Flashtool not included ( need rkflashtool )
    - Unzip the .img and flash it with rkflashtool
    - The kernel boot dont show a logo, so the first boot can give you about a minute black screen !! just be patiant !! the second boot will go much faster.
    - When you first boot, wait till "Airpin starts" before doing anything or the app installer will abort !! you will end up without preloaded apps !! This can take some time !! just be patiant !!
    ... Sorry for all the !! but some seem to need it

Download:
    http://xbmc2.hardwareguru.nl/v5/GuruX5mini_HLS_v5-2.zip

Suggestions:
    Any suggestions.. just let me know.
    I do this in spare time so no promices but will do my best to keep it up to date or add requested features or fixes.

Have fun guys
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. Demos

Demos New Member

I'm having an issue connecting to the internet. I've installed this rom, I can connect via wifi but the wifi logo never turns blue, so I'm not actually getting an internet connection. When I log into the router I see that the device and mac address are connected and are not being blocked. The wifi signal is very strong on the device but it never allows me internet access. What can I do to fix this? I have tried changing the channel on the router, and rebooting the router. all other devices connected to this router work with no problem. Please help.
  3. lowridin_guy

lowridin_guy New Member

Hi HardwareGuru,

Does this rom have all the chinese apps removed from it or is it basically the stock minix rom with some tweaks to get HLS working?
    I am new to MiniX and have installed the Kasty 4.2.2 rom and it runs good and SPMC runs well on it. Only downfall is my NHL gamecenter app does not stream live games.

Are there any other additional tweaks or improvements that you have implemented into this rom?
  4. Markiempje

Markiempje New Member

Hi HardwareGuru,

first of all, thanks alot for tweaking this rom to fix the bugs! I now can watch NPO seamlessly. RTLXL app keeps giving error messages but i dont watch it anyway.
    I have a minix x5 mini and istalled this rom with the flashtool as your guide explained, everything worked including your root tool, thanks!
    Another thing is however a little bit of a problem for me. After some time the minix loses its IP and gets disconnected from the router. Any idea how this is triggered, any settings i should change? When i toggle the ethernet connection, and toggle it back on it restores its connection and everything is back as normal.

thanks!
    Mark
  5. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

No i dont know why that happens.. Its the first time i hear about such issue.. I wont look into this rom anymore as we will start building kitkat for x5 series soon.
    pampam likes this.
  6. Markiempje

Markiempje New Member

it would be a delight to use kitkat! i will see the posts. thanks for the answer though.
  7. lowridin_guy

lowridin_guy New Member

Bump....
  8. lowridin_guy

lowridin_guy New Member

Can I use RKbatchtool to flash this?
  9. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum...and fairly new to the world of Minix IPTV. I have a Minix X5 Mini which I would like to be able to use with "Sky Go", but as I am sure you are aware...Sky Go does not support rooted devices. I have been given a link by another member (thanks Higgs) to a firmware zip file that will possibly disable "root detection", but I have never "flashed" a Minix box (or any other Android device for that matter), so I would be grateful if some could point me towards a "beginners guide to flashing a Minix X5 Mini" if there is such a tutorial available. Thanks in advance. Regards.
  10. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

As mentioned in the first post you need the rkflashtool (and drivers). - http://minix.com.hk/downfile/Flashtool_V1.7.rar

X7 Mini firmware upgrade tutorial (x5 mini is the same)

Please read the flash notes in the first post.
    Use Restore button not upgrade.
    After flash is successful leave the box connected and powered for 5mins.or so.

Sent using Tapatalk
  11. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

Hi Higgs, Thanks for the info...I was able to successfully flash my X5 Mini using the tool you suggested...and the video was invaluable as it shows how to reset and boot with paper clip which I didn't know about. The rom from "HardwareGuru" you suggested worked perfectly and I hope to test the Sky Go issue in next day or so. Thanks again for all your help. :)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  12. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

Hi Higgs, Just in case you are interested...I tried the X5 with the custom rom installed from HardwareGuru, and although it fooled the "root detection" used by Sky Go which was progress, sadly it fell over at the next stage which was that Sky Go does not support HDMI on any mobile devices....doh! I hope there will be a "work round" available soon. Thanks for your help.
  13. Higgs

Have you tried with SkyGo Tablet?
  14. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

HardwareGuru 5.0 HLS/DRM for X5mini
    Hi HardwareGuru,
    Regarding the rom above.
    I installed it on my X5 Mini without incident, and it easily fooled the "Sky GO root detection", but sadly then failed due to Sky Go not supporting HDMI on mobile devices. Do you know of a "work round" for this problem? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible. Thanks for any advice you may have on this subject.
  15. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

Hi Higgs, Yes...I tried the normal Sky Go app, and also the tablet version too....no joy :-(
  16. Higgs

The SkyGo Tablet version works with the new CE firmware on the X7. Hardwareguru/Gufone and Kar are working on versions for the other rockchip devices X7 Mini/X5/X5 Mini so it may work then.
    Note: You also have to be on wifi. It won't work on an ethernet connection.
  17. Jazzzhead

Jazzzhead New Member

Ok Higgs, Your help is much appreciated. I'll sit tight till I hear something. Cheers.
  18. Germain Morbe

Germain Morbe New Member

Hi Higgs, i follow this discussion bcoz i want to use Sky Go on my Neo X5 mini. In an earlier post you mentioned:
    "Note: You also have to be on wifi. It won't work on an ethernet connection."
    May i ask, why is this? Is it in the SkyGo-App that restricts its use for wireless-only?
    Or does the modification of this firmware solve DRM n HLS issues only for wifi connections?

Many thanks, Germain
  19. Higgs

Yes. Like a lot of android apps SkyGo will only work on Wifi. This might be because Sky doesn't want their app to work on a TV box with ethernet or maybe because they haven't considered that there are android devices with ethernet (as opposed to wifi and mobile plans)
  20. Germain Morbe

Germain Morbe New Member

Thank you Higgs, for the quick response.
    Well i'd tend to your 1st guess rather than the second. However, i hope this issue can be solved by Xposed-Framework's fake-wifi-connection plugin. Since wifi is'nt really that great when it comes to HD-streaming.