1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Has support for the NEO U9-H ended?

Discussion in 'Official Firmwares' started by Citizen, Jul 27, 2018.

1. litvcom

litvcom Member

Is this a joke? We can get an update, no one gives guarantees. In late 2018, get an upgrade to Nougat, it's just "fantastic". No words...

2. keanustar

keanustar Active Member

September 2017 was the last expected date provided by Minix-Ken last summer. There will "only" be a 1 year delay best case scenario. Thanks to Kondor for the ATV in the meantime.
    I hope in this update, if it will come, they will change the Minix UI. It is the same for years with just minor changes since X8. I would want something to cope with the year we are in.

3. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

There are loads of alternative launchers/UIs.
    You don't need to use the MINIX launcher.

I've never liked/used the MINIX launcher.

4. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Try nova launcher, a very powerful one.

Sent with my S7 edge by using Tapatalk

5. keanustar

keanustar Active Member

Yeah, I know I can install different lauchers, but I don't want to use the U9 as a phone. I use it on my TV and I would like a more TV use focused interface, the way Minix Metro is intended to be used, but it got so old.
    This is why I like the ATV cfw so much, cause it is intended for TVs.

6. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

There's many launchers designed for TV available in Google store.
    Try HALauncher or TVlauncher.

Sent with my S7 edge by using Tapatalk

7. RedGreen

RedGreen New Member

The U9 has been reasonably solid for me. However, I would not recommend any Minix product due to glacially slow development of updates, which I suspect may not ever occur. I can't upgrade my box with never-ending promises.

With the price of the Shield effectively half of what it was a year ago, and Minix still selling this unit at the 2017 price, it is not at all good deal.

jefrags, Marm, Kondor and 2 others like this.
  8. condoliza

condoliza New Member

I had zero problems with my U9-H. I'm not great with tech etc ,this is/has been a great piece of kit!

David_Cole and Villa like this.
  9. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

I can buy a toaster, or an electric tooth brush much cheaper than a Minix box, I know these are not exactly the same thing, but apparently who cares?...

IMO a Shield is close to useless when you have a good smart TV. Minix is one of the best boxes with pure Android, and it will probably be for very long. We can compare it to Apple computers, Windows computers, pocket phones or electronic spoons, but this fact only proves it it so good that nothing can still beat it in a fair comparison to a similar product.

David_Cole, kingsizept, Villa and 3 others like this.
  10. Kondor

Kondor Member

Next time Minix will need choose a good partner, not a cripple Amlogic. I know why Minix can't release Android (TV) 7/8. Because Android 7/8 from Amlogic have poor MediaCodec support (deinterlacing, etc.) and problems with SufaceView rendering. Hope Minix will choose Mediatek next time. Their SoCs (like MT5598) and base system (Android or Android TV 8) are outstanding, they are Google CTS ready, ideal MediaCodec support and SufaceView rendering.

11. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

Android 7.x is readily available and is what I would consider pretty stable - MINIX have just not gotten off their collective asses and upgraded the OS.

Only if you use Kodi with MediaCodec or ExoPlayer.
    AMLogic (amcodec) hardware deinterlacing is still reliable high quality, which a number of AMLogic S9xx Android TV boxes still use for their DVB implementations when using the Live Channels App.

I do agree MediaCodec full motion deinterlacing really should have been fixed by now. If MINIX have any input and feedback at ALL to AMLogic they should strongly make a point that this has been broken for a long long time and needs fixing.

David_Cole and litvcom like this.
  12. danilasib

danilasib New Member

Is it possible that the new firmware will be Android TV 8?

13. Villa

I don't think MINIX will release an official Android TV firmware.

14. Marm

Marm Active Member

By contrast, I have had constant problems with mine and it seldom runs for more than an hour before it crashes even reading email. I have factory reset it more times than I can count, even changed power supply and the micro SD card in it.

I doubt that any upgrade will fix it.

You guys are great but nothing suggested has helped yet.

15. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

Is your box crashing to the glowing minix logo and then getting stuck there?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. danilasib

danilasib New Member

means sad prospects. Next time have to buy nvidia sheild. even not so cool brands release firmware from Android TV, but minix lags behind ...

17. Villa

Why?

So long as MINIX release a new firmware and there is a custom Android TV ROM then surely you have a choice!

I have an Nvidia which I seldom use because it has the more restricted Android TV.

Also my U9-H functions just right for my needs! I don't see what a new or different firmware would currently bring?

David_Cole, midnight and steveg32 like this.
  18. danilasib

danilasib New Member

we have a port android tv, but I would like the version androd newer. for example 7 or 8. here is our firmware if you are interested http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=806540&view=findpost&p=73590415

19. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

I understand the "if it aint broke dont fix it " point of view, but if that was the only approach we would all be still living in caves ;)

litvcom likes this.
  20. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Then we wouldn't have TV's and have to worry about Android TV or pure Android :whistle:;):)