1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Having trouble updating firmware

Discussion in 'X8 - X8H Official Firmware 002' started by Jon Bennett, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

I have put both the aml file and the update zip onto a formatted fat32 usb.

it tries to update but then it comes up with this.....

E: Footer is wrong
    E: signiture verification failed.

Anybody know what im doing wrong please
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Did you check the md5 checksum of the update.zip file?
  3. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

Did you put both files in the root of the SD card? Did you checked the MD5 checksum?
  4. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

im a noob sorry, how do i do that?
  5. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

its not in a folder or anything if thats what you mean....
  6. adi_tca

To check the MD5 checksum you can use any MD5 tool, like the one from here: http://www.winmd5.com/

In my post above I meant that both files should be in the root of the USB stick (not SD card, as I wrongly posted) and not in a folder, but you confirmed they are in the root...
  7. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

this is what i have 073ad70a9d87d1565de41b98b36e5cdf

how come mine is different?
  8. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

The download probably stopped before the file was complete. Try downloading using a download manager (free download manager works well for me).
    Also the forum server link is usually faster than the minix server link.
  9. adi_tca

Like Higgs said, either get it from the forum link posted by HardwareGuru in 1st page of 002A thread, or from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!5MdFSILZ!138EF54ixL-hEj_mkaIWnNX0fTJCVold3mS5NFQECvA
    This 2nd link was posted by one of the users in post 1154 in the 002A FW thread, I used this 2nd link last night and it took me 3-4 mins to download the whole file correctly and the MD5 checksum was correct.
  10. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

ive tried downloading from the link on the forum post but its so slow and keeps stopping at around 50mb. you got a link for me by any chance?
  11. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

12. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

Still having the same problem, i checked the md5sum of the download adi gave and it was correct,
  13. adi_tca

So you downloaded the update.zip file, the MD5 checksum is correct now, you have both files (aml and zip) stored in the root of a FAT32 USB stick, you opened the "Update&Backup" utility & selected the "update.zip" file, clicked "Update", but still you have the same issues as in your 1st post?

Can you try with another USB stick? I have a 2 GB one and it worked fine.
  14. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

yeah that is exactly what im doing. i will try it with another usb stick and see if that works.
  15. Jon Bennett

Jon Bennett New Member

got it working had to do it a total different way than i was supposed to but got there in the end
  16. adju

adju New Member

and how did you do that
  17. calvingijzenij

calvingijzenij New Member

I got the same exact problem, how did you fix it?
  18. rayweil

rayweil New Member

Yes, how did you fix the install? I have the correct checksum. Using a 64Gb USB stick, even modify partition to the "linux/minix" version. But the update file still shows sda5 when I select it. Am I supposed to unzip/extract the 2 files before coping to the root of the USB stick?
  19. adi_tca

Try with a smaller size USB stick, if you have one and follow the step by step procedure described HERE. You don't have to unzip the "update.zip" file.
    As mentioned by Minix-Ken, if the USB stick method doesn't work, read/use this part:

"If you really can't upgrade with this easy method, that please go back to the traditional, PC upgrade method, the full package including the PC upgrade tool available from:
    HK server:
    http://minix.com.hk/firmware/X8_X8H_002Afw.rar
    Forum mirror (Europe, thanks to @@HardwareGuru ):
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_X8H_002Afw.rar
    MD5 checksum: A5EAA4475A5A8D576A5EB5C3FA080C56"

How to flash the FW is described HERE, make sure you use the burning tool provided within the "X8_X8H_002Afw.rar" file (which you have to unrar/extract the files included there).

I guess Jon Bennett used this last method, but he never confirmed in his message few posts above.