1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI CEC off, but u9h turns off

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Kazafog, May 1, 2018.

1. Kazafog

Kazafog Member

When i set my HDMI CEC to off, the u9h turns off when i change to another input on my tv. But if i leave CEC on with all options off changing inputs does not turn off the u9h.

So the thing is i'm trying to fault find kodi stopping randomly and thought i'd try disabling CEC altogether.

I thought it should ignore any/all CEC signals (when off) , but i don't know how its supposed to work and haven't found been able to find any info on it.

So can anyone please tell me how it is meant to work? I ask more for interest sake than anything. It'd be nice to understand what the box can and can't do.

Cheers

Note: I'm sure if i turn it off on the tv it would probably stop turning off but i require CEC for other devices so its not ideal.

2. Juka

Juka New Member

Yes, I can confirm that. With hdmi cec off, it has strange behaviors, if you change source on tv, the minix shuts down, for example...

3. Kazafog

Kazafog Member

Cheers Juka. I hoped it wasn't time for a factory reset.

To minix,

is this as intended or is it on the list to be fixed.?

4. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

I have it turned off but my U9-H never shuts down when I change sources and I have 5.

5. Kazafog

Kazafog Member

Interesting, are any of your tv's samsung? I should have probably mentioned that mine was.

Even though i wouldn't have thought it would matter.

6. Juka

Juka New Member

Yes, it's a Samsung smart TV...

7. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

It could matter as TV manufacturers implement CEC how ever they wish. I believe there is no standard!

For what it's worth, I have CEC Off on the U9-H but I don't use it on the LG TV either and my device does not switch off when switching sources.

8. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

is it not bad luck and possible that the IR code /frequency used for changing channels on the TV is the same as that for turning off the minix...

..I have experienced a similar scenario where one of my IR remotes ( I think the minix one) changes the audio input selector of my amplifier ....

Villa likes this.
  9. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

I have CEC turned on . The U9 is hooked up to an older LCD Sharp Tv with 2 other sources and I have no issues switching from one to another.

10. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Yes, it's a Samsung Smart TV. Before that, an old Toshiba LCD HDTV. Both with same setup, same sources, and CEC off, the U9-H never shut down when switching sources.

11. Vorag

Vorag Member

I have CEC turned on, using U9-H with Bauhn TV via Yamaha AV receiver.

Switching the Minix off always switches off the TV and receiver, as expected. But often, switching the Minix on switches on only the TV, but not the receiver.

As Villa mentioned, since CEC seems to be a bit of a no man's land wrt specs/implementation, I've just come to accept it, annoying though it may be.

12. Kazafog

Kazafog Member

thanks for all your responses.

From what i understand you're right Villa CEC standards don't exist which is why its so crap across the board. But the way i see it if cec is off on the u9h it shouldn't matter what tv it is connected to (right ?).

The way the cec settings are on the u9h, it seems redundant to set "cec switch" to off if all the other settings within the cec menu are already off, which is how my settings are typically.

I have done a few tests and my u9h doesn't send tv commands to the tv when 'CEC switch' is the only setting that is on so whats that setting meant to do on its own? I know it stops my tv turning the u9h off but as i saif the u9h doesn't react to ANY other tv commands.

Btw Its definitely not a common ir as it would happen all the time not only when i turn off CEC switch.

Jt'd be nice to know what the intent is.

13. Kazafog

Kazafog Member

I had to remove pin 13(CEC signal pin) from the HDMI lead that connects U9H to my TV to fix issues my soundbar was having any time i connected the U9H. With the U9H CEC switched off, my soundbar issues got worse than with CEC on with all the options turned off, go figure. Surely CEC off should be the same as having no pin 13 signal, right?

Can you ( @MINIX - Ken ) or any of the minix crew please point me in the direction of any more info on the u9 CEC function? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018