1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Headphones for the Hard of Hearing

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by K9BM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. K9BM

K9BM New Member

I have my U9-H connected to a late model Yamaha AV receiver with HDMI and play a lot of movie files, most of them encoded Dolby, DTS, etc. I have a family member who needs headphones due to hearing loss, but I haven't figured out how to make it work. I can't plug headphones into the AVR because it cuts off the speakers. When I plug headphones into the back of the U9-H I only get audio on files encoded as MPEG4 audio, the rest of my files are just silent to the headphones.

If I pair a Bluetooth headset with the U9-H will it work with ALL audio output regardless of format? I would rather suffer the loss of lip sync (latency through Bluetooth) than have no sound at all....

2. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

I had the same issue and found the perfect solution to be the SERENE "TVDirect Comfortable Wireless Personal TV Listening System" (Model TV-95RF) by Serene Innovations, Inc. (USA). It comes with everything you need, including rechargeable batteries, and all you have to do is plug the docking station (base) in to the Audio Out plug on the back of any TV. Not sure if they still make it but if they do it's a winner. Google it or search it on Amazon & eBay (I bought from both). Be sure to purchase the model that includes both Base and Headphone (you can also buy headphones separately). Worth every penny! Good luck.(y)

On the box:
    Serene Innovations Inc.
    13421 Pumice St.
    Norwalk, CA 90650
    www.sereneinnovations.com
    P: 562-407-5400
    Fax: 562-407-5410

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

Regarding the Bluetooth solution, and not trying to put you away from the good advice from @steveg32 for the RF model he mentions, I can assure you from my own experience that Bluetooth will play all audio content out of your Minix box loud and clear.

With Bluetooth v4.0 with aptX, latency in lip sync is a myth. They might be more expensive than RF models, but you get no interferences from external sources, however they are likely to cover a shorter range (about 30ft for Bluetooth vs aprox. 150 for RF). The battery life of the Bluetooth headphones is longer than for RF models (around 30 hours of listening until recharge vs 8 hours for RF, but because the RF stand is normally also a charging station this is a minor issue I guess)

4. K9BM

K9BM New Member

I would be OK with either solution, but I don't have a TV set, I have a projector--and it has no headphone jack or any other audio outputs. Also, I cannot get any audio output from the Minix box headphone jack when playing video files other than MP3 and MP4 files. Any files in AVI, MKV, etc. containers using Dolby, DTS, and other multichannel encoding simply do not produce any output from the Minix headphone jack. If they did, I could use any wireless headphones plugged into the headphone jack and the problem would be solved. Maybe this is a Kodi settings issue, but I have Kodi set up to properly output for a DTS and Dolby Atmos capable receiver.

You know how you can push the center button on the Minix remote while watching a movie in Kodi, and if you arrow over and select the settings tab you can choose audio settings? If the "amplification" section is grayed out, I get no sound from the Minix headphone jack. If it is NOT grayed out so I can boost the volume of the file, then I get sound from the headphone jack. Honestly I don't understand the difference, but it is absolutely repeatable every time....

5. CybeRider

CybeRider Active Member

In short,
    You have to disable passthrough in kodi settings to have the other sounds also coming out of the rear headphones jack in the Minix box.

Bluetooth doesn't use the jack, but when you use Bluetooth headphones you must choose them as the output sounds setting in the Minix box audio settings, after pairing, and then you lose the sound in the other devices except the headphones. So, if you plan to have the sound coming out from hdmi and rear sound jack simultaniously, you know what to do, and Bluetooth won't be the solution for it at all.

Edit1: There is a lag between the sound coming out of the rear jack and the sound that should be simultaneously coming out of the hdmi, and so you will get some lip sinc issues with this setup.

Edit2: After several tryouts I think the only way to sinc the movie sound with the headphones rear jack would be to delay the sound in the player (any player, Kodi or MX Player) settings, but then you lose the sinc in the hdmi... So, getting both to sinc play together is apparently impossible, I would say.

Or, maybe your receiver that is getting the hdmi sound from the Minix box has a function that allows simultaneous sound to headphones. Mine does, but it is a 30 years old model, they probably don't do them like that anymore. :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018