1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

FAQ Help on casting YouTube from Phone to Minix!

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Guides & FAQs' started by sidhu, Jun 13, 2016.

1. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Hi Guys,

In my new Neo I have 2 YouTube apps which I think one is downloaded from play store and other came with minix. I can't cast to both from my phone. When I go to youtube settings it's asking to link to my TV same as what I see in my phone. So what do you guys do? Don't use phone at all or can we do some tweaks and make YouTube work like one in ps or normal TVs ?

This is the second point of my frustration with Minix!! First one with exFAT is already up and running in the forum.

Regards,
    Sidhu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I've never really understood why anyone would want to do this!
    I select one of the two preinstalled YouTube apps and view direct, simple! :)
  3. sidhu

sidhu New Member

It's about convenience! You can search in your phone much better than in your TV even with a keyboard. Just search and cast. It makes things much easier than with a remote and people are quite used to it with all other devices. Smart TVs, PS3 , PS4, Shield everything, YouTube in all the devices support casting. So why not in Minix

So by this question I should understand there is no way ??

4. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Yep this is a tough one. I got it going by downloading now browser which is no longer on the playstore. Try apkmirror. Then go to YouTube TV the URL not the app. Set that as the home page. Now browser has a full-screen mode so set that. Now go to settings in YouTube and pair. It's the only way this seems to work.

And Villa it is really common!. Just about every smart TV and pvr supports it. The search on the installed app is slow and awkward.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...lc9SzwtzDwfPT7GVA&sig2=YeUSJEClf9SBgmtyLVRAiQ now browser

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...wXweV4-kQZfrnBRtg&sig2=dcVXwjkmzaDw8r3QnTcozg YouTube tv
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. sidhu

sidhu New Member

I already having a tough time!
    I will try this - not so neat one though

6. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

No once you set it up its faultless. We use it every day. It's what you are used to.
  7. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Then Great!! Thanks ! Will try and update!

8. Villa

I didn't say it wasn't! :)

I still can't get my head around, why use a phone when you have a device infront of you that does the job?!
    I pick up my A2 Lite and use that. I would never pick up my phone unless I want to make or answer a phone call! ;):D
  9. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Yeh I have the A2 but the phone is still easier. I also use Kore for kodi on the phone often as well. The a2 is OK but most of the apps are designed for a phone so they work better on a phone. I came from a wd live and the apps were all designed for a remote. That's what Android's drawback is - it's made for touch :cautious:
  10. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Can i expect something from the Minix guys on this topic anymore? (n)(n)(n)

Or they have much bigger things to worry??

Anyway i am almost gave up with this box :notworthy: and now the only option for me is to return it mainly because of 4 reasons. :oops::oops:

1, No external hard disk support for exFAT (for me this is a big deal because this is a format which supports multiple platforms).:(
    2, No casting possible for Youtube:(
    3, Bought Plex app for Android and app keeps crashing. (no issues with my ps3 client and Iphone app only with android - anyway i don't have time to spend for this):(
    4, Amount of time need to spend to setup things. Mostly work arounds (I sacrificed 4K support for youtube and plex thinking this is a perfect for Kodi and now i have more issues):(

I go for Nvidia shield because everything else are inbuilt and optimized expect Kodi but i think its better to spend time to setup kodi than fixing everything (unlike Minix)
    I know its 50 Euros more but still its much better than wasting my time (i think it costs more :censored:)
    I know that its not perfect but still supports exFAT and FAT32 and great apps for YouTube plus Plex started supporting Nvidia as a complete box (so i have plex if kodi has issues).

I know a lot of guys here have both the devices and can you please tell me the experience on using both the devices (i mean comparison) ? @Villa @swamprat96
  11. Villa

Shield at the moment is used purely for gaming, for everything else we use MINIX devices.
  12. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

I don't have a shield. It did take me a fortnight to get the Minix working the way I needed it to but with the multiple methods of connecting it it was no real surprise. I don't game on it at all- purely use it as a media center. Kodi works 90% of the time without hassle for both music (via UPnP) and videos (via SMB)- and a clear cache fixes it when it doesn't. Youtube casting works perfectly as I described in an earlier post- and we use that daily. We also use catchup TV services in Australia which work well. Netflix is not so great as the resolution is low and the application is designed for a touch screen. I believe Shield does that better

The Shield is not going to solve your casting issue as it too will have the android version of youtube. That's not designed to cast from android to android. Try youtube tv- works fine
  13. Villa

14. Villa

15. ajac

ajac New Member

I have a Neo U1 for some days now and YouTube casting is working fine! Only had to install Kore on my phone, pair it with the MINIX and select share videos in YouTube. Not the most difficult thing to get working!

Enviado do meu D5503 através de Tapatalk
  16. sidhu

sidhu New Member

Yup but I switched to Shield now! Nothing needs to be installed. Everything's casts with one button press.

17. AmirulFirdausR

AmirulFirdausR New Member

Do you have smart tv? If you have. Then you would know the importance of youtube cast. I had my neo for a week now, and I regret it.. I wish I bought mi box because while watching youtube on phone, i can simply cast within one tap on the video to cast it on tv. i can even turn off phone screen, and continue browse video using tv. Later on, i can start searching again with phone and let Tv play it for me... That is the best way to browse video, not with a remote keyboard.